Mike D

• View Profile
  • OwnPC: No
  • NewUsed: New
  • Model: 2100
  • Slide: Yes
Re: Introduce Yourself!
« Reply #120 on: April 29, 2011, 06:15:53 pm »
Right now the problem we are having with the coach is excessive play in the steering wheel which makes driving a chore.  Folks on another forum suggest I go to a reputable truck place and have the alignment checked and consider a steering stabilizer.  That is on tap for next week.  
I replied to you on the other forum, copying it here too.

Hi Paula, It's me Ron Dittmer from the Cruisers forum.

Your Phoenix Cruiser 2551 at 26'-5" long, 93" wide, and 10'-1" to the top of a/c unit, built on an E450 chassis is a lighter weighted house on the heaviest duty chassis and drive train available anywhere. Most motor homes using the E450 chassis are taller, wider, longer, and heavier. My point being, you have a lot of margin considering weight and engine power.

As other Ford 1998-2010 E350 and E450 owners say about their own Ford V10 engine, it's strong, but it's also very noisey when going up inclines. You may think it's working hard, but by Ford's design, it spins very fast to get up hills. Do not be concerned about it. You'll simply have to get used to hearing the engine reving as a normal thing. The same when going down hill. When I do engine braking down-hill, the engine revs way up too, sometimes near red-line on the tachometer. For a little "extra" peace of mind, I now use full synthetic motor oil.

About your PC-2551 handling issues. You sound like me when we bought our PC-2350. As others above here stated, and yourself confirmed, take it to a truck suspension shop, not an automotive suspension shop. If you have limited funding for suspension upgrades, then you will want to do improvements one step at a time. I advise to consider evaluating/upgrading in this order.

1a) Tire pressure is very influential in handling and quality of ride. Tire pressure is determined by the weight on it. Ask Phoenix USA what the weight is on front and rear tires, then follow the chart in Michelan's website on pressure per weight.

1b) Front wheel alignment. Our 2007 PC-2350 alignment was off by so much that the truck shop had to use offset bushings to get the camber set properly. Phoenix USA may cover the cost of a wheel alignment. I heard them covering for another PC owner. Our front wheel alignment cost us $170 three years ago. BTW: The shop told me most motor homes require offset bushings for a proper alignment, so the Phoenix Cruiser is no exception.

When you take the RV in for a wheel alignment, fill the fresh tank with water, empty the waste tanks, and fill up the RV with a full tank of gas and propane. Also keep your gear, dishes, etc. inside. The mission is to get an alignment done with the RV weighted as it would be during a voyage. If you want to go an extra step, place weights just behind the driver and passenger seats to represent two adults in the front cab. I did that.

2) Replace your Ford steering stabilizer with a heavy duty one. We have a Safe-T-Plus and it does a great job. But there are other good brands out there too. Ours eliminates driver over-reaction and "steering wheel floaties".

3) Replace your shock absorbers with Bilsteins or Koni-RV shocks. The shocks on your E450 chassis could be the same used in the E350, and the E250 passenger and cargo van. That was the case in 2007. If true today, those shocks are not ideal for any motor home where the chassis is loaded to near capacity, 100% of the time because a house is always on it.

4) Replace your Ford rear stabilizer bar with a heavy duty one from Helwig, Roadmaster, or other brand. A heavy duty stabilizer bar significantly reduces side-to-side rocking motion like a boat on water.

5) Replace your Ford front stabilizer bar for the same reasons.

6) If you tow anything at all, you might find the rear end of your PC-2551 moving side to side horizontally, commonly referred to as "tail-wagging". If so, then consider a rear trac bar. That will eliminate that unwanted motion.

We had all this done at once, costing us $3900. It was a lot of money to spend, but given the experience addressing handling issues with our old RV of 24 years, I wasn't going to fool around this time to try and save some money. We decided to do it all at once, be done with it, and enjoy this "perfect handling" RV from DAY ONE. Our PC-2350 handles like a dream. And it tows a vehicle 100% of the time too.

Ron did you have this done at time of order.

thanks

mike

Oh by the way I joined to find out about Rvs so I can make a good choice,
 My wife and I are retired and plan on seeing this great country,1st time rv.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 06:19:46 pm by Mike D »

mciai2000

• View Profile
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • PurchDate: 09/2011
  • Model: 2552
  • ModelYear: 2012
  • IntColor: grey
  • ExtColor: full body night shadow
« Reply #121 on: April 29, 2011, 06:25:33 pm »
Mike:

Welcome.  I am sure Ron will answer shortly.  He is usually on the ball.

DJM
family is a passion...work is a requirement
2012 2552 full body paint(Phoenix # 2)

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
« Reply #122 on: April 29, 2011, 07:06:06 pm »
Hi MikeD,

Welcome here to the Phoenix Cruiser forum.  I am glad to read you are doing some research here.

We did not order ours from the factory with the suspension upgrades mentioned.  On our mainden weekend journey from Chicago to Door County, WI, (4 hours away) we drove for a couple hours on an urban interstate highway that was being resurfaced.  We drove on the inside and outside shoulders at 50mph while towing a little car.  Our 2007 PC2350 did not handle those extreme conditions well at all.  Our experience with our first motorhome was just as poor which we got resolved mid way through our 24 years of ownership with it.  We were not going to mess around with our new motor home, so I took the new rig to the same place we took our first rig, to our local and trusted RV suspension shop and simply agreed to the recommendation of the shop expert there.  We spent $3900 to get a lot of suspension upgrades which dramatically improved the handling under poor as well as under ideal driving conditions.  I describe the "Before" as a drunken sailer.  The "After" as a tight SUV.  The things we had the shop do is as follows.
- Roadmaster heavy duty front & rear sway bars
- Henderson rear trac bar
- Koni-RV shocks
- Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizer
- Front wheel alignment which required offset bushings to get the camber set perfect

Such suspension upgrades are strongly beneficial on any motor home, not just a Phoenix Cruiser.  I am not sure the Phoenix factory would do them, or have the motor home sent elsewhere to have it done.  It would surely be worth an inquiry.

Ask any more questions.  I would be happy to answer what I can.

PS:  I think a Phoenix Cruiser would make a great 1st motor home.  Just be sure to consider the right model that meets your needs best.  Most popular with retired folks is the 2551, but the new model 2552 model is a fast growing replacement for it's extra living room lounge chair.
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

Mike D

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 29, 2011, 08:09:41 pm »
Thanks ron

one thing My wife has to have a queen bed.

I do all the cooking and don`t know much about the little micro/convection ovens,I have a gas oven at home--can you roast and bake in these things and will it brown meat?

billy

• Best Friends
    • View Profile
  • PurchDate: Feb, 6 2011. Same day Packers won super bowl
  • Model: 3100
« Reply #124 on: April 29, 2011, 09:09:12 pm »
Our 3100 was great until we loaded it. I love the rear storage but it seems to gather a lot of weight. I did lower the tire pressure on the front to 70psi. That helped a lot and hoping the alignment will do better. I have a steering stabilizer came off the F53 Class A and hope I could adapt it to the Cruiser. It is rather a LARGE shock????
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: April 30, 2011, 10:11:15 am »
My wife has to have a queen bed.
.....can you roast and bake in these things and will it brown meat?
If a queen bed is "most important", then the only PC models to consider are the 2900 and the 2910 where the queen bed is in a rear slide out.

I am not the "cook" in my household, so I hope the PC chefs will comment on the combo micro/convection oven.  Yes it will brown meat, but it seems NOT meant for huge roasts.  My wife most often uses the microwave, and occasionally does convection cooking to brown meat and some baking too.  But she prefers most cooking done outside on a picnic table using our table-top grill and propane stove.  My wife would prefer all cooking outside as she loves doing outdoor cooking of every kind, but utilizes indoor cooking when in a rush, when we have a late dinner after dark, and when parked overnight in places like Wal-Mart parking lots where it is not proper to setup camp.

You may want to consider investing in a table-top grill.  There is another post about grills, and the Weber Baby Q gets the most praise.  Click here to get to that post -----> http://forum.phoenixusarv.com/index.php?topic=410.0
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 10:20:40 am by ron.dittmer »
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

Mike D

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 30, 2011, 11:24:56 pm »
Ron I love to BBQ,smoke meat and grill.
  I have a Weber Performer and a Q120 ,the Q120 will go in the RV.

;)

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: feb 2011
  • Model: 2551
  • ModelYear: 2010
  • IntColor: cherry
  • ExtColor: grey
« Reply #127 on: May 06, 2011, 02:02:32 pm »
Welcome to Phoenix USA RV's Discussion Board. We think you'll find this is a nice place to hang out. Why don't you start off with a little introduction and tell us a bit about yourself

,I just purchased a 2010 Phoenix Cruiser 2551 and rving is new to me, however I have owned a sailboat for 35 years and have done extensive cruising. I purchased the unit in Florida and drove it to Pa. were our home is. We are planning a trip to New England and Canada this summer thin back to Fl. for the winter.
We are Ann Miller and Bob Halter and we live in Lancaster,Pa. and would like to here from any Phoenix owner in our area.

gradygal

• our 3rd PC--Custom 2910
    • View Profile
  • PurchDate: March 2012
  • Model: 2910
  • ModelYear: 2013
  • ExtColor: slate gray full body paint
« Reply #128 on: May 06, 2011, 02:46:57 pm »
Ann and Bob:
Welcome to the Forum! We were new to RV'ing 3 years ago (sailors as well) bought a 22' Airstream Interstate (too small) then a PC 2350 Sprinter (hated the corner bed, loved the mileage) and this year a 2551 (love it, hate the mileage). We live in Florida but take off in the summer. We are heading North again this year-PEI, Nova Scotia, New England. Love the Canadian Maritimes! This will be our 3rd year travelling there.  Might even be in your neck of the woods.
If we can be of any help with campgrounds etc. please let us know.

Judi and George
Judi and George Nicholson
Punta Gorda FL

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 06, 2011, 04:24:46 pm »
Judi & George,

Is that your old 2010 Sprinter 2350 no-slide with couch on ebay right now?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 04:30:37 pm by ron.dittmer »
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

gradygal

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 06, 2011, 05:43:45 pm »
No. Our Sprinter had the dinette. The cabinetry was cherry and the exterior was gray full body paint.

Judi
Punta Gorda FL

Gracie

• View Profile
  • NewUsed: Used
  • PurchDate: MAY, 2011
  • Model: 3100
  • IntColor: BROWN AND LIGHT MAPLE
  • ExtColor: BROWN/RUST
« Reply #131 on: May 12, 2011, 11:54:10 am »
Greetings:  Bo and I have been looking for a gently used PC for some months and now we have a good looking 3100 under the RV port.  She has had many good comments from the neighbors.  It is expected that this one will be easier to handle and also comfortable. Thanks for including us in this forum and we hope to meet some of you in the future.
Gracie

gradygal

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 12, 2011, 03:34:49 pm »
Welcome to the Forum. You will find so many ideas on this forum! Projects will be never ending (but fun). Glad you found the PC that you were looking for!

Judi and George
Punta Gorda FL

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 13, 2011, 09:23:35 am »
Welcome Gracie!   hithere
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

Caflashgordon

• View Profile
  • NewUsed: Used
  • PurchDate: 05/2010
  • Model: 2350 Sprinter
  • ExtColor: Grey
« Reply #134 on: May 23, 2011, 05:20:24 pm »
Hello Fellow Phoenix Owners!

I've been lurking here since my wife and I bought our 2010 2350 last year, but have not posted until now.

This is our 3rd motorhome. We previously owned a '78 Jamboree on a Dodge chassis which we bought used in the early '90s and a '99 Dutchmen on an E-350 chassis, which we bought new and put about 100K miles on. We have historically used our motorhomes mostly for towing a racecar and staying at the track. 

We were in the mind to upgrade last summer,  looking for a bargain diesel pusher at a used/consignment lot when we peeked into the Sprinter-Chassis Phoenix unit.  We were immediately impressed with the quality and roominess. We took it out for a test drive and we were really impressed by the ride quality.  The same day we tested it towing our loaded car trailer and subsequently made a deal on it.

In the year that we have owned it, we have put 10,000 miles on it (without taking any big trips!), and have probably spent around 50 nights in it. We have come to like it more and more and have made a point to recommend Phoenix Cruisers to anyone who will listen.
- Gordon
'10 2350 Sprinter