Hello Guest!

Introduce Yourself!

• 1326 Replies

Bill G

• The Midnight Rambler - Andersonville National Cem.
    • View Profile
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: November 10 2016
  • Model: 2552
  • ModelYear: 2017
  • Slide: Yes
  • IntColor: Nightscape
  • ExtColor: Nightscape
Re: Introduce Yourself!
« Reply #900 on: October 27, 2016, 02:13:35 pm »
(I Hope I'm Doing This Right) :-D

My lovely wife and I have been toying with the idea of getting an RV for a while. I had unexpected open heart surgery two years ago this November 10th and it changes the way one looks at the time one has left on God's green earth.

Karen, (my lovely better half) had never been Out West, so we took a two week road trip the first of this month to visit Mt. Rushmore, Cody Wyoming, into Yellowstone staying at the Old Faithful Inn for two nights where it snowed 2+ inches. Beautiful!! Leaving Yellowstone, we headed south through Jackson Hole and the Grand Teton area, into Grand Junction, through the mountains of Colorado to Durango where we stayed a few nights then headed home to the Cincinnati area.

Along the way we saw many campers and motor homes and the idea of traveling the back roads of this beautiful country in an RV is taking up a lot of processing time in our brain cells. We bought a little Viking pop-up to take on our honeymoon to Vermont and New Hampshire 33 years ago, but sold it after 4 years when we built our home.

I took to the internet to educate myself, and we stopped at four RV dealers on the way home last week to look at trailers and motor homes. The short of it is, from cute campers to boxy Cs, to big As with little crash protection, back to looking for a more streamlined C, I found Earl at Phoenix Cruiser.
I've watch Earls videos numerous times and looked at all the pictures and like what I see! I look at other RV manufactures, but keep coming back to PC. Karen and I agreed, Id research and choose the mechanical/ build of an RV and she picks the floor plan and gets to do her nesting thing. We guys don't need much! I like the 2552 for the two of us.

So a few questions:

1) What sort of track system is on the slide outs? Any issues with the slides and do they have the roll out canopy on top as I've seen on other makes?

2) Im 64, anyone have any height issues other than the AC unit? Earl tells me they can adjust the sleeping area. I guess stick my feet into the closet.

3) Correct me if Im wrong, the 450 VAN chassis is used which means the big engine hump. Is there plenty of leg/feet room by the pedals so the gas foot isnt over to the left which means a sore hip after a few hours?

Ill be lurking taking notes to ask Earl next weekend when we drive up to tour the factory and check out a few models.

Trying to find the balance......Tomorrow is promised to no one, but also, not living like there is no tomorrow.

Safe Travels,

Bill G.
Bill G.

jatrax

• John and Carrie
    • View Profile
    • Zigzag Mountain Art
  • PurchDate: November 2016
  • IntColor: Graystone
  • ExtColor: Graystone
« Reply #901 on: October 27, 2016, 04:54:43 pm »
Hi Bill and welcome!

I think you did it right!

I am just looking as well and visiting the factory this coming Monday.  Really looking forward to it.  I cannot answer many of your questions but here is what I can say:

1) There have been very few reported issues with the slides, I have read almost all the threads on this forum and only remember two posting about slide problems.  No idea what brand they use, but I did read here that it was changing for 2017 but you should ask at the factory about that.

2) I'm 5' 9" so no height issues for me!!!! :lol

3) Yes the E-450 is the chassis.  And I have test sat in a number of them, including one older Phoenix Cruiser.  Driver side I think will be OK.  In fact the seats are way too short for me and I am going to ask if they can raise them a bit, should be good for you.  Passenger side though, might be an issue.  The legroom there is limited and even my wife has commented there is not much room.  So test that area carefully to be sure it works for you.  Not really any options though, except to go with a coach built on the ford F series.  Which PC does not do.

What day are you at the factory, maybe we will cross paths?

Best,
John

Gail Staton

« Reply #902 on: October 27, 2016, 06:06:14 pm »
Welcome Bill and Karen.

We have a 2013 2100 and our slide is made by Liftco.  So far the only problem we experience is rattling when driving.  It does not bother hubby but I find it annoying.  It does have a canopy over it.   

Hubby has no problem with leg room or pedal placement.  The passenger's side has limited floor space and does gets hot.   Some owners have installed insulation to help with the heat.   We have not.

I can't say enough about PC customer service.  Our experience has been second to none. 

I totally agree with your last sentence and hope you and Karen are out there seeing our beautiful country very soon.   We enjoyed all the places you mentioned visiting and a whole more.  A great time is awaiting you.

Gail

Pax

« Reply #903 on: October 28, 2016, 03:55:48 am »
Welcome Bill and Karen!

1- No issue with the slide on our 2014 2552.  It does have a roll out canopy.

2- I am 6' tall and there are no problems for me, however I have had folks in our rig that were about your height and some were not comfortable (bumping their heads on the a/c, bending over while moving around, etc.). It did not bother others who were that tall.  My suggestion is to walk through a PC (or other class B+/C's) before purchasing to ensure you would be comfortable.

3- Yep, big hump there, however for me it is an extremely comfortable seat/cockpit.  Even after stretches of 8-12 hours of driving (yes, 12......don't ask)  pyho  :lol

- Mike

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
« Reply #904 on: October 28, 2016, 04:35:03 am »
Bill and Karen
(w)

I sent you a separate email with my thoughts given your height of 6'-4".

As others have mentioned, visiting the factory and walking through them yourself, you will know pretty quickly how a PC fits you.  Regardless of the model and floor plan, the ceiling height will be the same.  The showers are fairly consistent too, something you'll want to pay close attention to.  I've heard the factory offers a higher dome shower skylight to provide a little extra head clearance, something Earl will likely mention.

Regarding the Ford E350/E450 chassis, you will want to size yourself for that one and also the Mercedes Sprinter and the Ford Transit.  There is a Transit chassis sitting in the corner of the shop.  Hopefully Earl will let you sit in the driver seat, assuming it has a seat installed.

The one thing that bothers me with our Ford E350 is the skew of the gas and brake pedals to the left.  It is something I have to get used to every time we start a new voyage, and I don't find it comfortable either.  Everything else not perfect to me is trivial by comparison.

The Ford E350 & E450 with V10 engine is extremely reliable and is documented so by the various industry report cards.  I have not read a story of someone who experienced roadside trouble in the E350/E450 chassis built since 1997, that was not related to tires or owner error draining the chassis battery.  Brake issues are discussed now and then but I can't blame the chassis for the owner letting their rig sit out in the elements in a field for extended periods, letting the brake rotors develop barnacle rust.  Anything wrong from the get-go, typically pointed to something the RV manufacture did wrong with the chassis.  Simply stated, the E350 & E450 are great for reliability and durability.  If only the industry offered tires that handled a heavier load for the bigger/longer/heavier motor homes, including the longest of PCs.

Back in 2007 when we bought ours, it was built in the USA and 97% of it's parts were too, something I greatly appreciated.  But I doubt if that percentage holds true today.

Again
(w)

Ron
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 05:08:52 am by ron.dittmer »
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

2 Frazzled

• View Profile
    • Spirit of the Woods
  • PurchDate: May 2013
  • ModelYear: 2013
  • IntColor: Sunlit & Cherry
  • ExtColor: Sunlit
« Reply #905 on: October 28, 2016, 07:06:48 am »
Ron, question on the pedals. I haven't driven in a few months but drove our Phoenix extensively before, however, I've never been conscious of any "skew" to the pedals or need to angle my legs while driving. I suspect there was a redesign somewhere between your 2007 and our 2013.  Hopefully some other owners of recent models can weigh in with thoughts on this.

My main spot is the passenger/navigator seat and I don't like the way the hump pushes in on that side. It doesn't really twist my body buy my left leg is definitely restricted from moving left. Since it is a Ford thing, it is going to be in all brands that use the Ford chassis. That said, we are accustomed to it and are both pretty comfortable in either side of the cockpit. It takes a little work to get up and out to the back but sliding the seat back before making the effort helps a lot. I usually don't bother and just shift over and through.

John, Holly, and sometimes Chloe.
Travel Blog: Spiritofthewoods.net

Cat House

• View Profile
  • NewUsed: Used
  • PurchDate: 17 Oct 2016
  • ModelYear: 2012
  • IntColor: toast
« Reply #906 on: October 28, 2016, 09:46:59 am »
Cat House is so named since we travel with cats. Our other choice was Hams on Wheels since Tom and I are both amateur radio operators.  WE bought a used 2012 Phoenix Cruiser and love it.

This is not our first coach...We have owned two 1975 GMC motorhomes -- nicknamed Tom's Mistress I and II, since he spent so much time with each one always tweaking something.

Two Hams in a Can

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: December 20, 2016
  • Model: 2400 Sprinter
  • ModelYear: 2012 PC 2400 Sprinter
  • IntColor: Cherry
  • ExtColor: Rust
« Reply #907 on: October 28, 2016, 10:19:54 am »
Welcome to the forum!  We are PC newbies too, but are former fulltimers (Airstream TT and Foretravel).  Our moniker is Two Hams in a Can, but we don't do radios.  We are both actors (hams) and throughout our RV life, folks who don't know us would come up to us and say something like, "Hi!  I'm W5YN6."  We gently tell them we aren't that kind of "ham".  We are looking for our first PC. . .preferably a 2400, but wouldn't turn down a reasonably priced 2552.   :)(:
Jeff and Suzanne traveling with the Cocker Spaniel sisters, Scout & Sydney in Fawkes the Phoenix 
"What happens in vagueness stays in vagueness"

Sandyc

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 10/16
  • Model: 3100
  • IntColor: Light Brown
  • ExtColor: Two tone brown
« Reply #908 on: October 28, 2016, 08:13:56 pm »
Welcome to both our new Texans.

Sandy the pump is mounted to the fame underneath on the drivers side. It is a real pain to get to it in order to check the fluid level. You will need a mirror as the hole is on top of the box. You will see led lights on the front of the box. What is your problem? Have you cleaned and sprayed the jacks and springs?

Thanks for replying. Found the pump, checked it out, seems ok. Everything works.

Bill G

• View Profile
« Reply #909 on: October 28, 2016, 08:56:20 pm »
Haven't figured out how to reply individually so I'm trying this.

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome. We will be meeting with Earl next Friday and will be trying everything out and asking a lot of questions.

As I told Ron, it turns out I must have shrunk as the tell of the tape says I'm now 6'2.5" so interior height shouldn't be an issue. Glad to hear the cockpit shouldn't be an issue but nothing like putting ones butt in the seat.

I spoke to Earl about the slides and PC is now using the Lippert slide system, check their web site.

I was wondering, what is the distance from the front bumper to the back of the cab as the chassis comes from Ford? Trying to figure the lenght of the living space in a 2552.

Thanks again, and my best to all,

Bill G.
Bill G.

Pguill

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: April 2017
  • Model: 2910
  • IntColor: Desert Sand
  • ExtColor: Greystone
« Reply #910 on: October 29, 2016, 11:08:16 am »
My husband and I have been full timing in our 36 Ft New Horizons 5th wheel for the last 8 yrs. We spend our winters on the Texas coast and have been traveling in the states and Canada during the summers. At this point we are thinking about leaving the 5th wheel in storage and  getting a PC to travel in during the summer.  We are considering the 2910d. We have several questions we hope someone can address. My husband is concerned about downsizing and if we can adapt to less space.
We read about upgrading the suspension. Recommendations?? Somewhere I saw in the forum about adding extra insulation in the cab for noise control? Any problems with maintainance at Ford dealerships?   I would appreciate any recommendations especially from owners of the 2910 model.

Patty G
« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 01:10:59 pm by Pguill »

gradygal

• our 3rd PC--Custom 2910
    • View Profile
  • PurchDate: March 2012
  • Model: 2910
  • IntColor: cherry
  • ExtColor: slate gray full body paint
« Reply #911 on: October 29, 2016, 11:38:15 am »
We have a 2013 2910 (custom with twin beds) and one slide (with the sofa in it). Since new, we have left FL in June and returned home in Sept. so 3 1/2 to 4 months living in it with no issues. This year, we have reserved a seasonal site in Maine. The CG opens in May and closes Columbus Day so we have the opportunity to spend 5 months in it--we shall see!

We had Phoenix put some insulation under the floor in the cab to reduce the heat but that is all we have done.

Others have added new shocks, sway bars etc, We have not added anything.

Our Ford dealer has taken care of a few things but they don't have lift capable of lifting the PC so I guess if it came to that we would have to take it to a Ford Truck dealership for work, So far we haven't had to do that.

Oh year, I forgot--Welcome to the Forum

Judi
Judi and George Nicholson
Punta Gorda FL

Pax

« Reply #912 on: October 30, 2016, 07:50:24 am »
Welcome aboard, Patty!

Lots of info on the forum regarding folks adding/replacing shocks, sway bars, etc.  I think that it all boils down to what comfort level you want, which model you choose, how much you pack into it, how many people travel with you.......

Regarding Ford service: We have a huge dealership near us that I would have bet would service our PC without a problem, but they said they didn't even have the room to change the oil on an RV.  Another smaller Ford dealership near us is able to perform most maintenance tasks on the engine but nothing beyond that due to inability to lift it (they had to crawl under the rig to change the oil).  As Judi said, we would bring the rig to a Ford Truck Center for Ford-related repairs or service if we needed to, but they are few and far between out in our area.  Prior to that I would call the Ford Motorhome Assistance Center 1-800-444-3311 just in case I missed something closer.

- Mike

Bruce

« Reply #913 on: October 30, 2016, 03:26:19 pm »

I was wondering, what is the distance from the front bumper to the back of the cab as the chassis comes from Ford? Trying to figure the lenght of the living space in a 2552.

Bill G.

Hi Bill,
Our 2014 2552 is 28'4" long measured from the front bumper to the back of the rear cap.  The ladder extends the length a few more inches.
--Bruce

Bill G

• View Profile
« Reply #914 on: October 31, 2016, 05:56:55 am »
Thanks Bruce, but what is the length of the actual living space? Trying to find d the lengthy of the cab as it comes from Ford so I know what to subtract from the stated length of the different models.
Bill G.