Hello Guest!

Automatic Transmission Fluid ATF Level

  • 19 Replies
  • 2499 Views
*

Taildragger

  • *****
  • 222
    • View Profile
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: Used
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Maple / Desert Sand
  • ExtColor: Greystone
  • Location: Alaska
Re: Automatic Transmission Fluid ATF Level
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2026, 09:49:58 am »
Very interesting anecdote. 
“There is an exception to every rule” is an adage that applies to more than just politics - obviously  I
I stand corrected

*

Taildragger

  • *****
  • 222
    • View Profile
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: Used
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Maple / Desert Sand
  • ExtColor: Greystone
  • Location: Alaska
Re: Automatic Transmission Fluid ATF Level
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2026, 10:08:38 am »
Interesting anecdote recalling an incident that contradicts recommendations listed.
There is an old adage telling “there is an exception to every rule”.  Obviously, it applies to more than just politics. 
I stand corrected. 

*

Amsoilman

  • ****
  • 69
    • View Profile
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: Used
  • PurchDate: 2024
  • Model: 3100
  • ModelYear: 2016
  • Slide: Yes
  • IntColor: Grey
  • ExtColor: White Grey
  • Location: Detroit MI
Re: Automatic Transmission Fluid ATF Level
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2026, 12:44:56 pm »
It sounds like that external filter is a bypass filter. I installed a bypassed oil filter on my 04 Duramax. It would filter the oil down to one micron. It kept the oil looking clean as it was free of most soot.

*

Taildragger

  • *****
  • 222
    • View Profile
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: Used
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Maple / Desert Sand
  • ExtColor: Greystone
  • Location: Alaska
Re: Automatic Transmission Fluid ATF Level
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2026, 12:33:10 pm »
What began as a question about possible solutions to process a Check Engine Light alarm and the relationship ATF levels possibly have on sensors measuring fluid levels quickly evolved into the esoterica of the Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor.  Code reader test results revealed a difference between the pedal / throttle sensors.was detected and the sole reason for Check Engine light

I learned the best solution was to simply replace the switch.   Exploring that possibility, I found the install /replace process includes "Hard resetting" the newly installed part with what is called "Training"

The five step process:

Turn the engine off and remove the key
Disconnect the negative battery cable
Wait 10 to 15 minutes to clear the computer's memory
Reconnect the negative battery terminal
Turn the key on (engine off) for 30 Seconds. Then start the engine and let it idle for 10 minutes with the accessories off to complete the idle relearn.


Since I store the vehicle in a distant location for prolonged periods by disconnecting all the batteries, unwittingly I probably cause the problem.  Reconnecting the battery and not abiding by a prescribed learning process could generate some complication.

*

Ron Dittmer

  • *******
  • 5738
  • Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
  • Location: N/E Illinois
Re: Automatic Transmission Fluid ATF Level
« Reply #19 on: Today at 08:38:02 am »
What began as a question about possible solutions to process a Check Engine Light alarm and the relationship ATF levels possibly have on sensors measuring fluid levels quickly evolved into the esoterica of the Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor.  Code reader test results revealed a difference between the pedal / throttle sensors.was detected and the sole reason for Check Engine light

I learned the best solution was to simply replace the switch.   Exploring that possibility, I found the install /replace process includes "Hard resetting" the newly installed part with what is called "Training"

The five step process:

Turn the engine off and remove the key
Disconnect the negative battery cable
Wait 10 to 15 minutes to clear the computer's memory
Reconnect the negative battery terminal
Turn the key on (engine off) for 30 Seconds. Then start the engine and let it idle for 10 minutes with the accessories off to complete the idle relearn.

Since I store the vehicle in a distant location for prolonged periods by disconnecting all the batteries, unwittingly I probably cause the problem.  Reconnecting the battery and not abiding by a prescribed learning process could generate some complication.
Though I store our PC at home, I disconnect all batteries off-season.  Like you, I have drive by wire, assumed to be the same technically, but I never follow any kind of procedure though maybe I do without realizing it.  When waking up our rig for the season, I back it out of our garage and let it idle for an extended period of time to warm up the engine to dry out any potentially accumulated moisture.  But, I can't say that I intentionally wait 30 seconds, nor that every accessory is turned off.
« Last Edit: Today at 08:40:01 am by Ron Dittmer »
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer