• PurchDate: 10/2021
  • Model: 2100
  • ModelYear: 2005
  • Slide: Yes
  • IntColor: Beige
  • ExtColor: White blue trim
Replacing toilet 2005 2100.
« on: November 16, 2021, 10:55:14 am »
Has anyone done a toilet upgrade as there is limited space.  Appreciate brand and model suggestions.

Thank you
« Last Edit: November 18, 2021, 02:11:03 am by Jeffreyiam »

Bangorbob

• View Profile
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: Used
  • PurchDate: 6/10/20
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2008
  • IntColor: Slate Grey
  • ExtColor: Slate Grey
Re: Replacing toilet 2005 2100.
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2021, 10:31:22 am »
I'm surprised there is no response.  15 yr old toilets haven't broken yet?  I know this doesn't help much, but I will probably be replacing mine this winter.  Mine sits on a pedestal in the 06 2350, so I can't use a foot pedal type flusher.   Will be watching this thread.

Doneworking

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: September 2013
  • ModelYear: 2013
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2021, 12:11:59 pm »
I have never replaced a toilet in any of my rigs over the years but it is not a complex job and I just put "rv toilet" in Amazon search and came up with several to choose.   It looks like this one might be close to the one in my 2013 2350 PC.   I checked and  youtube has some vids of the process, but it is pretty intuitive.   I have no knowledge to pass on but this link  may be helpful.  I would think it would just be a matter of size (listed on all the Amazon offerings) and color. 

https://www.amazon.com/Aqua-Magic-Toilet-Flush-Sprayer-Profile/dp/B003DJL0MC/ref=sr_1_10?keywords=rv%2Btoilet&qid=1637427955&qsid=143-8316635-6500313&sr=8-10&sres=B000VBGZEI%2CB000BGM8D0%2CB00DPIVZGC%2CB00HQEKGB6%2CB072QZMZZP%2CB003DJL0MC%2CB007TQJTFK%2CB000BGM8DA%2CB073WYHBHX%2CB000B5P9EQ%2CB072N3RCCJ%2CB000B5SA2Y%2CB00HR2OMRQ%2CB000BGOJCS%2CB076P32HJF%2CB008X5T1CC%2CB004RCSLAS%2CB000BGK2U6%2CB000BGK2V0%2CB004SFKJIQ&srpt=TOILET&th=1

« Last Edit: November 20, 2021, 12:15:34 pm by Doneworking »

donc13

• View Profile
  • NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: 03/2015
  • Model: 2551
  • ModelYear: 2015
  • IntColor: Nightscape/Hickory
  • ExtColor: White/Nightscape
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2021, 06:07:44 pm »
Whatever you get, make sure the bowl is porcelain, not plastic or fiberglass.  Porcelain stays bright and easy to clean over the years, the others do not!

---
Don and Patti

CalCruiser

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: November 2015
  • ModelYear: 2003
  • IntColor: Hickory/ Beige
  • ExtColor: custom dark shadow grey & blue jeans metallic stripes
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2021, 07:34:49 pm »
Try browsing Camping World for a decent range of models and specs. They usually do free shipping on black Friday / cyber Monday. Or if you can, drive to a  super center location. Itís the ToysRus for rvíers.
Goin' where the wind goes...

LRUCH

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 08/2020
  • Model: 2900
  • ModelYear: 2010
  • IntColor: Maple
  • ExtColor: White/Sage
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2021, 12:02:51 am »
I am considering a replacement toilet as well. I rebuilt my 10yr old thetford this past spring and it was not difficult. BUT I learned that it is basically an inner and outer shell and nothing but the seat holding them together. There is no pipe the last 2 inches before the floor. If the toilet is flushed when you're not level, or traveling on a bumpy road there's a chance that not everything goes to the black tank... When I removed the toilet from the floor there was lot of evidence.

From what I can tell of the specs of other thetfords is that are all basically designed the same.  I will not be buying a thetford!

donc13

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2021, 08:08:55 am »
I am considering a replacement toilet as well. I rebuilt my 10yr old thetford this past spring and it was not difficult. BUT I learned that it is basically an inner and outer shell and nothing but the seat holding them together. There is no pipe the last 2 inches before the floor. If the toilet is flushed when you're not level, or traveling on a bumpy road there's a chance that not everything goes to the black tank... When I removed the toilet from the floor there was lot of evidence.

From what I can tell of the specs of other thetfords is that are all basically designed the same.  I will not be buying a thetford!

LRUCH,

That sounds like someone installed the toilet improperly. There is supposed to be a closet flange and seal on the bottom that seals the bottom of the drain tube to the floor and top of the waste tank. Much like the wax seal in a household toilet.

Having a 2" open space between the top of the waste tank and drain tube (down tube) would be against every "building" (RVIA) code.  Having that gap would also allow any tank odors to escape into the interior of the coach uninhibited.

Thetford would be out of business real quickly if they designed their toilets that way.
---
Don and Patti

LRUCH

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2021, 10:26:11 pm »
You would think so, but check the specs. I compared the online parlay to my toilet and no parts are missing.

donc13

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2021, 11:13:26 pm »
I didn't say parts are missing, I said it wasn't put in right.

https://www.thetford.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/42088E_Perm-OM.pdf

That link shows every one has a flange seal that fits onto the flush pipi (down tube) to seal that pipe to the waste tank and make an odor seal stopping gased coming up from leaking into the bathroom.  The other end of the seal is the water in the top of the flush valve area.  If the flush valve opened into just air, now there is nothing keeping gasses from flowing out that 2" open area and out into the room air. RVIA does not permit that. From the flush valve to the waste tank must be closed by the flange seal at the bottom and flush ball seal at the top.

Thetford does not leave that area open.
---
Don and Patti

Volkemon

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: October 31, 2017
  • ModelYear: 2006
  • IntColor: Light Maple
  • ExtColor: White
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2021, 12:11:56 pm »

We are suffering from lots of black tank odors when underway, or sometimes parked when wind is 'just right'.   When underway, if you have the Ac on 'Normal' to pressurize the cabin space, no odor. On recirculate, or 'AC Max' , you get some odors wafting up front. Ride with the windows down, and black tank unclean, better have a strong stomach.  :help  Has been a condition since we had the camper. I do multiple flushes every time I flush the tanks. Doing this, there is no odor underway. So I know its not an issue of uncontained black tank contents creating the odor.

I tried to get a picture of 'the gap'  I suspect  LRUCH is talking about.  This is a picture of our toilet, with the flush valve open. You can see between the base of the flush valve, and the black pipe on the floor, there is a ~2" gap. I didn't want to go in there with a tape measure to get an exact distance.  :-[    You can see in the area between the flush valve and the black pipe the remains of past eliminations.

Looking at the parts diagram (Thanks Donc13!)  I do see part #7, the flange seal and bolts. These seal between the white(ish...) plastic toilet base and the black flange in the camper. On mine the flange seal is sealing well.  For evidence of this, here is a pic from when I repaired the pedestal.

It shows the flange seal area (Upper left, out of focus) and it was nice and clean. No corrosion on bolts, and the area around the flange has no discoloration. There IS water evidence in the center picture area on the floor, but I am 99% certain thats from the shower door before I replaced it.

A better shot of where the toilet mounts shows little signs of leaks, slight rust on one of the mounting screws.

LRUCH - Was this area discolored/soiled , or showing signs of leaks there on yours?  Does the first picture I posted (showing the area below the flush valve) show the ' no pipe the last 2 inches before the floor'  that you are speaking of?

I filled our black water tank, using a hose in the commode, until the water level was above the flush valve.  Letting it set, I was hoping to expose any leaks or separations in the bigger black pipe that leads to the black water tank, and explain some of the black tank odor problems we have. 

Nothing seen. No drips anywhere, and the water level stayed the same for ~15 min until I dumped it. I was at our local dump station, so not in a position to leave it full for hours like I wanted.  But if there was a break/gap/space  in the pipe between the flange and the tank (as I was looking for) it would have revealed itself by dripping water.

We have a 3/4 full  black tank now, and it REEKS in the camper. Mrs V is most distressed. I must solve this.

I agree with the construction details of the toilet as described by LRUCH.   I am wondering if maybe somewhere the seal between the halves has failed, allowing the stinky airflow from the area shown in my first picture.   If the crack was above the flush valve level, my water test would not have revealed it. 

I am hoping that it is not the vent pipe. ASSUMING it is one piece to the roof, I have a good seal up top to the roof, and a new weather cap on it. Having the ceiling fan vents open or closed does NOT make a difference in the smell, so I know its not drifting out the tank vent and into the ceiling fans.

I am now exploring taking the toilet out, and sealing the flange for testing purposes. If the smell goes away, I am led towards thinking there is a failure in the toilets seal to the cabin. Not the flange, but in the toilet assembly itself.

I have to see what size the pipe is after removing the commode, but these available in 3" and 4" at my local Lowes. And under $10.

Should make an air tight seal, and HOPEFULLY isolate the toilet as the source for the odors.  Will post with results.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2021, 12:32:24 pm by Volkemon »
""You want to save money on travel, drive a Prius and stay at motel 6""  Forum Member Joseph

WORD.

CalCruiser

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: November 2015
  • ModelYear: 2003
  • IntColor: Hickory/ Beige
  • ExtColor: custom dark shadow grey & blue jeans metallic stripes
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2021, 04:17:48 pm »
Driving generates heat which can  cause holding  tank odors when underway. Try treating the tank with a liquid sanitizer & deodorizer, then repeat and add a gallon of water each time after dumping the tank. I always do that pro-actively when  traveling in the desert. Be wary of drop-in packet type sanitizers that can get caught in the dump valve.
Goin' where the wind goes...

Volkemon

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2021, 04:28:36 pm »
Driving generates heat which can  cause holding  tank odors when underway.

True, but I dont think that was the root cause in my instance. Parked, and with roof vents closed, a wind from the rear would cause the smell inside. We have a frequent sea breeze from the east, and when the camper was parked nose west it was terrible inside.

The fresh air intake for the HVAC system is the only outside air entry point I could find in the coach. (Microwave vent closed, roof vents closed, and ignoring minor leaks)  When parked nose downwind, it creates a low pressure in the coach.

I took out the toilet, and sure enough it is a two piece shell.

in this bottom view, you can see the underside of the flush valve seen in the bowl. I rinsed out the interior, it was a Valhalla for maggots.  :beg  Not much smell however, I did 'take one for science' and did a sniff check to eliminate that as a source of odors. The seal on the bottom looked  to be sealing well. The moisture on it is from me hosing out the inside pre-photo.

The plug worked perfectly. Sealed well, and wont pull out.   So I closed up the camper, put the bath fan on hi speed , exhaust.   Went to the front, and felt a good strong flow out of the defroster vent.  2o2  Before doing this, the smell  would be in the bathroom, but not the coach. No smell anywhere after a short test, it is running still as I type.

I turned the toilet upside down on the recycle bin, and filled the inside with water. This was the leak. The brown streaks on the white shaft are grease.  (nod) Whew.

Only leak I found, but I did NOT fill it to the brim.  I would think that the area inside should be air/water tight and there is an O-ring gone, or similar. If plugging the flange stops all odors then i will be 99.99% sure its the toilet itself.

Next up is to go do another sniff test after having the fan run for a while.  Maybe tomorrow go for a drive, and dump the tanks about 15 miles away.  Usually, the drive to the dump station is fragrant, unless AC is on Normal, and 2nd fan speed or greater. NO windows open.   I will try breaking all those conditions on my way there, and hope for a stench free ride.  :-D
""You want to save money on travel, drive a Prius and stay at motel 6""  Forum Member Joseph

WORD.

donc13

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2021, 05:12:56 pm »
Volkemon,

Does the water in the toilet (after flushing) slowly drain out?  That's a good indication the flush valve seal needs replaced.  My last RV (a Lexington) started stinking and the flush valve water would slowly leak out.  Thinking that was the problem, I tested my theory by putting a klennex over the valve and getting it wet (to seal the valve.. Sorta), anyway... No odor as long as the tissue was wet.

I replaced both the flush ball and seal... End of odor problems.

Don
---
Don and Patti

Volkemon

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2021, 08:40:40 pm »
Volkemon,

Does the water in the toilet (after flushing) slowly drain out?  That's a good indication the flush valve seal needs replaced.  My last RV (a Lexington) started stinking and the flush valve water would slowly leak out.  Thinking that was the problem, I tested my theory by putting a klennex over the valve and getting it wet (to seal the valve.. Sorta), anyway... No odor as long as the tissue was wet.

I replaced both the flush ball and seal... End of odor problems.

Don

No problem there, it holds water for as long as we go between uses.    Just went out and locked up the camper, it smells So nice inside. I am cautiously optimistic that tomorrows 'dump run' will be odor free.

As BangorBob said earlier, ""I'm surprised there is no response.  15 yr old toilets haven't broken yet?""  well, here we go.    RV toilet shopping!   :)(:

WORD.

LRUCH

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2021, 09:49:48 pm »
VOLKEMON, yes your findings match mine. I was under a time crunch to rebuild my toilet so I didn't take the time to document it like you. Good job.

I too had the smells and insects... For me it was tiny flies or gnats.  I also had an occasionally water spot on the floor at the base of the thetford.  After taking the toilet and turning it upside down in the back yard, I found it full of gnats, maggots and other critters. I sterilized/scrubbed it all (toilet and floor) with bleach and bath room cleaners.  I replaced the floor seal and the flush seal and reinstalled the toilet. The base of the toilet has now a silicon seal and the back of the toilet is closed up now.  That hole is where the smells and insects were coming from.

I've sealed it up enough to keep the smell out of the RV, but I know it is still not perfect and no more gnat's either. Once the supply chain is caught up and I have time to find the right replacement I'll toss the thetford (happily).