• PurchDate: 08/2019
  • Model: 2552
  • ModelYear: 2019
  • Slide: Yes
  • IntColor: Graystone/Cherry
  • ExtColor: Graystone
Top wood trim for slide pushed out
« on: October 27, 2021, 07:12:44 pm »
I have notice that the top wood trim piece for the slide is getting push out and the mitered corners do not line up, also. one screw has been stripped out. Has anyone else had this issue and have a fix?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2021, 07:17:01 pm by faiello »
Frank & Beth

Tarnold

• View Profile
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: Used
  • PurchDate: Dec 2019
  • ModelYear: 2014
Re: Top wood trim for slide pushed out
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2021, 06:50:47 am »
Check behind the trim and wall to see if some debris have fallen back there.  That would push the trim out when the slide is open all the way.

Bangorbob

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 6/10/20
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2008
  • IntColor: Slate Grey
  • ExtColor: Slate Grey
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2021, 08:37:16 am »
I have the same problem.  Haven't addressed it yet, but will be following to see if there is a fix before I figure it out.

faiello

• View Profile
  • NewUsed: New
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2021, 10:34:21 am »
Check behind the trim and wall to see if some debris have fallen back there.  That would push the trim out when the slide is open all the way.

That is the first thing I checked and there is no debris.
Frank & Beth

2 Lucky

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 02/27/18
  • Model: 2551
  • ModelYear: 2010
  • IntColor: Cherry
  • ExtColor: Classic Umber
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2021, 12:43:06 pm »
First, be absolutely certain that there is nothing impeding the outward travel of the top of the slide.

With the slide in, can you easily push the top board into the proper position? If not, perhaps the metal it is attached to got bent. If so remove the board and straighten the metal.

If the top board is loose and can be realigned with the side trim, clamp the boards in proper position, carefully drill a hole down from the top an inch or so from the corner at an angle perpendicular to the joint (a 45 degree from the top edge.) Slightly countersink where the screw will set from the top and screw it together. Don't over tighten. A finish nail slightly larger than the drill hole will do the trick also. I would not glue it in case it needs disassembly in the future.

Replace the stripped screw with one slightly larger (not longer tho.)
« Last Edit: October 28, 2021, 12:51:57 pm by 2 Lucky »
Riding the fine line between bravery and stupidity since 1952.

Engineerlt

• A Little Project
    • View Profile
  • PurchDate: Aug, 2019
  • ModelYear: 2017
  • IntColor: Hickory
  • ExtColor: Toast
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2021, 01:45:55 pm »
I believe the trim is used as the stop for the Lippert slide when it is traveling to the extend position. So that piece of trim is more than looks, if it were to be removed all the way around and the slide operated the slide would continue out the side of the rv. Correct me if I am mistaken but its a pretty important piece. What you are seeing maybe a timing issue with the motors. That end of the slide maybe out of sync with the the other side and touching before the opposite side.  This will apply more stress to the area and pull the screws out.

Just wondering are you keeping the motors in-sync by holding the extend retract button and additional 5-10 seconds after it stops in either direction. That is the only way to keep the motors in sync.

Very Respectfully
Lance

LRUCH

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 08/2020
  • Model: 2900
  • ModelYear: 2010
  • IntColor: Maple
  • ExtColor: White/Sage
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2021, 11:52:02 pm »
I totally agree with 2 lucky in that you need to look behind the wood and inspect the metal frame and the black rubber seal on the outside wall. It's the metal portion that seals to the seal on the outside wall when the slide is out.  The wood is just cosmetic, and if it is not lining up, it is either loose from the metal or the metal is deformed.

Engineerlt

• A Little Project
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2021, 07:54:26 am »
LRUCH that statement might be true for the older style slides pre-2017. The new Lippert slide is a completely different beast. If you watch how that slide works when it contacts the wall (extended) the wood trim will flex when it reaches its stopping point (this slide uses a force limit to let it know when its at the end of its travel). The upper tracks of the slide pull the slide against the upper portion of the wood. I believe also that PC has been installing more screws in the trim as they are becoming aware of the force applied by the slide motors is great enough to start to pull out the screws. There have been a couple of people on this website that have said when they have taken there RV back to PC for other maintenance it has left with additional screws in the wood trim. This is a good indication that PC is still chasing down issues with the Lippert slide mechanisms. You can find the manual on the Lippert website that explains the slides operation.

Very Respectfully
Lance

faiello

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2021, 08:48:27 am »
I think the problem is that the top trim piece that acts as the stop for the slide hits the angled wire way enclosure on the wall above and is pushing the top trim out to far. The motor are synced and I do hold the slide button so 4 to 5 seconds when opening and closing the slide an always level before opening. Maybe the only fix is the extra screws they are now adding. I see a trip to the mother ship in my future.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2021, 08:51:11 am by faiello »
Frank & Beth

Engineerlt

• A Little Project
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2021, 11:04:41 am »
You are probably correct in your assumption. I have just seen this video put out by Lippert it is pretty informative on how to repair the  slide once you have track/gear issues. I know your are not at this point but it is good information and gives you a little more detail on the inner workings of the slide mechanism.  Here is the link to the YouTube video if you are interested.   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBml7VTu8JU

Very Respectfully
Lance

mikeh

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 02/2019
  • IntColor: Toast
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2021, 11:49:49 am »
Maybe the only fix is the extra screws they are now adding. I see a trip to the mother ship in my future.

Just a matter of information:  Not in all cases is Phoenix adding screws during slide repair.

As noted in another post, my 2019 2552 was in the Phoenix shop from 9/28 through 10/1 to correct my jammed slide that wouldn't extend.  The crew pulled my slide and replaced basically the entire Schwintek slide system.  All working fine now.

I was very aware of CATSAPLENTY's post back in June regarding her unhappiness with the addition of extra screws in her trim (https://forum.phoenixusarv.com/index.php?topic=4455.0), and I fully expected to find mine altered as well when I picked it up.  However, there were no changes and no additional screws--just the same exact screw locations as original with the same spacing.  I thought it might be due to the fact that she has a 2017 model (first year for the Schwintek system) while mine is two-years later, but she reported an original spacing of about 12 inches--which basically duplicates mine.

Although we both have Schwintek's it may be that the issue that they addressed on her unit required the additional screws be added--and mine did not.  I don't know, but Phoenix is definitely not adding screws in the slide trim in every instance.

Mike
« Last Edit: October 29, 2021, 11:57:01 am by mikeh »

Engineerlt

• A Little Project
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2021, 02:55:19 pm »
Mike H that may be the case, I wonder if it has to do with the motors. There are 300:1 and 500:1 motors. I know that PC changed motors on a rig and went to the 500:1 to try and overcome issues. That is how I ended up with a free 300:1 used but good motor. With the torque increase of the 500:1 the screws would be under considerable amount more strain before the hall effect sensors signal the controller, the motors have stopped. Its an easy identification, the 500:1 motors have a opaque cap and the 300:1 have a black cap. My motors on my 2552 are 300:1 and I haven't had any trim issues, and my PC is the first run of the new Lippert slide installation. Curious to know if faiello has a 500:1 motors... Just a thought, just curious to see what changes PC is making to the slide to improve its reliability. There have been some issues as seen on this forum. It seems that the larger the slide the more issues, 3100's seem to be leading the pack.

Very Respectfully
Lance
« Last Edit: October 29, 2021, 02:57:25 pm by Engineerlt »

mikeh

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 02/2019
  • IntColor: Toast
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2021, 06:11:59 pm »
Good point on the motors Lance.  I knew that Lippert used both 3's and 5's.  The best I can tell from quick review of the data both use the same controller, so there wouldn't be a different internal force setting for shut-down.  As you say, that means the 5's are going to tighten the slide considerably more.

I assumed the difference was only to accommodate different size/weight slides--I've seen the Schwintek system used on some whole wall units, so that's considerably more weight.  I haven't checked to see if mine are 300 or 500, but with the nominal size of the 2552 slide I'll bet that they're 300s.  If CATSAPLENTY's 3100 used 5's, or if Phoenix installed 5's in trying to correct her issue, that may account for installation of the extra screws.

Mike

faiello

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2021, 06:39:39 pm »
I will check if mine are 300 or 500 in the morning. Could be a good question to ask PC what it should be for the 2552.
Frank & Beth

JJCruiser

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 10/2018
  • Model: 2351
  • IntColor: Nightscape
  • ExtColor: Nightscape
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2021, 01:12:22 pm »

I have the 500:1 motors in my 2351.  It is also my understanding that the wood trim is key when stopping the slide when it is fully extended.  So far my trim frame is fine, but I would not mind if it had a few more screws holding it in place.  The spacing on the center most set of screws is a bit over 12 inches with the two outer most having a spacing of about 19 inches.

JJ