• PurchDate: 05/08/021
  • Model: 2552
  • ModelYear: 2012
  • Slide: Yes
  • IntColor: Grey/Cherry
  • ExtColor: White/Black/gray
Re: Jeep (Toad) braking system
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2021, 08:11:52 pm »
Thanks Ron. We like it.  We were not looking for new vehicles and I wanted something cheap but in good shape. You know, need to have my cake and eat it too. LOL.  This one was definitely an answer to prayer. That may sound odd for what it is (1992) , but it definitely was. The guy I purchased from was just a really cool guy and loaded me up with extra stuff that was not listed in the add like a full cover, new and unused bikini top,  blue ox tow bar, original bumper (has a brand new aftermarket one) and a full unused add-a-leaf kit..  We hit it off right away. 
Steve

donc13

• View Profile
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: 03/2015
  • Model: 2551
  • ModelYear: 2015
  • IntColor: Nightscape/Hickory
  • ExtColor: White/Nightscape
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2021, 08:19:50 pm »
Unfortunately itís a 2.5 L low output. Lol. I got it October 4 and Iím still cleaning it up and it has very minimal rust. Mostly surface stuff that I can easily clean off. Itís in outstanding shape.

I have had several Jeeps over the years, pre and post 92 models, including a 91 Comanche. The one thing about all of them was unless you kept up with steering and front end maintenance, in particular, the shimmy damper on the steering arm and tie rod, you could get into difficult (and possibly dangerous) conditions to manage.  Driving the Jeep, usually a quick hard press on the brakes would stop the shimmy.  But towing, you have to pull to the side and stop.

Regular front end checks and maintenance can fix problems before they happen.

« Last Edit: October 13, 2021, 08:24:18 pm by donc13 »
---
Don and Patti

Gixxerkid3

• View Profile
  • NewUsed: Used
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2021, 08:24:54 pm »
Yep, familiar with the death wobble.  Good reminder though. 
Thank you!
Steve

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2021, 07:59:33 am »
One unavoidable issue towing our Jeep Liberty with stock wheels and tire size, is front tire damage.  Our neighbor with a huge diesel pusher experiences the same thing towing his Chevy SUV.  The inside of the tow vehicle's front tires get bald quickly when making sharp turns with the motorhome.  I try to avoid making sharp turns, but this past trip, it was unavoidable many times.  Our Liberty's tires are nearing the end of life anyway so it's no great loss, but I was worried that we might have tire trouble getting home.  Fortunately it did not get so bad that the steel belts started to show.

Gix, If your Jeep tires stick out further than stock (which your picture implies) I believe the balding condition will be amplified.  As I see it, the only way around the tire wear problem is to use a tow dolly or trailer.  I suppose you could have dedicated front towing tires to change out once at your destination.  Or do as I do and rotate the tires with every trip, and replace them prematurely when it's time.

I have two sets of Liberty tires, one set for trips and the other set for home.  This is primarily for Irene's comfort.  The tire wear is "choppy" which makes them very loud.  So back at home with a nice set mounted, Irene enjoys a much less noisy Liberty.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2021, 08:06:34 am by Ron Dittmer »
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

Joseph

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 3/7/2015
  • ModelYear: 2011
  • IntColor: Tan/Cherry
  • ExtColor: Gray / White
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2021, 10:08:24 am »
Ron, on my smart car I had some of the tire wear you mention but nothing too concerning. I thought maybe it was partly due to the narrow wheel base that I had any?  On my Jeep  TJLJ  I have absolutely none after over 20,000 miles of towing. I do have a drop hitch that adds probably 10Ē of length to the tow bar. Could that be the reason I donít experience the wear?

mikeh

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 02/2019
  • ModelYear: 2019
  • IntColor: Toast
  • ExtColor: Toast
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2021, 10:33:17 am »
Ron, on my smart car I had some of the tire wear you mention but nothing too concerning. I thought maybe it was partly due to the narrow wheel base that I had any?  On my Jeep  TJLJ  I have absolutely none after over 20,000 miles of towing. I do have a drop hitch that adds probably 10Ē of length to the tow bar. Could that be the reason I donít experience the wear?

For what it's worth--ditto on my Cherokee Trailhawk.  I've only got about 14K towing miles on them, but also 30K driven miles for roughly 44K total.  The factory tires are pretty aggressive tread, Firestone Destination A/Ts, so they're fairly noisy--but no indication of uneven wear--I do try to rotate on schedule.  Frankly, I've been surprised at the limited tread wear overall--they've still got a full 9/32 tread, so even though I want to stay in front of the curve for "trouble-free" reasons, I haven't pulled the trigger on replacement yet.  I also have a hitch extension (riser), but hadn't considered how that might affect things. 

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2021, 10:54:07 am »
With our 2350 PC with 158" wheel base, I have studied the cause and effect of the bad tire wear while making sharp turns.  A Youtube video would help readers visualize the phenomena.

I believe a drop hitch, or in my case a riser, makes the condition worse because it increases the rear swing of the motorhome.

Here is one example that will cause the condition I am trying to describe.

Imagine driving your PC straight.  Your tow vehicle's front tires track along perfectly as they should.  Then slow down and make a very sharp turn to the right to pull into a gas station.  Your PC turns right but it's rear end swings left.  The tow vehicle following the PC tail starts to turn left, but then quickly gets pulled to the right.  The steering of the tow vehicle cannot react fast enough to the quick change in direction, so the left front tire initially gets dragged sideways until the steering wheel catches up.  The chafing action on the tow vehicle's left tire is not a lot, but repeated over and over, causes inside tire wear.

The condition is greatly amplified when that sharp right turn into the gas station is quickly followed by a sharp turn left to approach the gas pumps.  This time the right tire gets damaged.

Of coarse my example can be applied to any sharp turning at slow speeds.  The condition is worst with the shortest wheel base PCs, less prominent with longer wheel base PCs because the rear tail swings less abruptly.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2021, 12:29:10 pm by Ron Dittmer »
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

Joseph

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 3/7/2015
  • ModelYear: 2011
  • IntColor: Tan/Cherry
  • ExtColor: Gray / White
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2021, 12:59:53 pm »
Ron, I havenít a clue. The only thing I do know factually is in over 20,000 miles of towing my Jeep has no abnormal wear whatsoever and Iíll bet Iím far from the only one. There has to be a reason.  The tire wear you have shown is off the charts. How many miles did you tow for that much damage? Or maybe 😁 you got stuck in a round about?? 😁
« Last Edit: October 14, 2021, 09:27:24 pm by Joseph »

donc13

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2021, 08:35:51 pm »
Unfortunately itís a 2.5 L low output. Lol. I got it October 4 and Iím still cleaning it up and it has very minimal rust. Mostly surface stuff that I can easily clean off. Itís in outstanding shape.

I think we're related...
---
Don and Patti

Gixxerkid3

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2021, 08:56:53 am »
LOL, too funny.
Steve

CalCruiser

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: November 2015
  • ModelYear: 2003
  • IntColor: Hickory/ Beige
  • ExtColor: custom dark shadow grey & blue jeans metallic stripes
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2021, 08:15:59 pm »

I think we're related...

How far do you tow that RZR? Iíve become intrigued with the idea of a Fun Mover or Outlaw toterhome, but would definitely miss our 2350 and perhaps regret the change.
Goin' where the wind goes...

donc13

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2021, 08:24:23 pm »
I don't tow it, it's not mine.  My friend just towed it on a flatbed trailer.
---
Don and Patti

Gixxerkid3

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2021, 07:09:16 pm »
Hi all, I ended up going with the Roadmaster Even Brake 9400 system.  Given the wiring that was already in the vehicle (after looking very hard), I decided on that system.  I wanted the Stay-in-play; however, I did not want to spend that kind of money. So I purchased a gently used Even Brake.  I have it installed and it tests out fine.  I had to put the original bumper back on as it already had the base plates installed for a Roadmaster tow bar, so I picked up a Falcon 2 tow bar.  When I bought the Jeep, the owner just happen to have the Blue Ox, but it looked older and after researching, I found out that it was no longer produced. Itís in good shape, but it needs a bath and lube.  Anyway, looks like I will be limited on when I can go out to test the unit behind the PC due to weather and work.  Canít wait. 
Hope you all have a great evening. Cheers from the PAC NW. 
« Last Edit: October 28, 2021, 08:53:15 pm by Gixxerkid3 »
Steve

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2021, 10:40:56 am »
Gixxerkid3,

I am glad you found a way to get setup without spending a fortune.  If like Irene and I, you will appreciate having a tow vehicle that isn't painful to manage.

We love towing our Jeep Liberty.  One trip only, we left it home.....won't do that again.  It's not that our PC is so difficult, but rather our Liberty is so easy and unlimited in the places we travel to.
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer