• PurchDate: 05/08/021
  • Model: 2552
  • ModelYear: 2012
  • Slide: Yes
  • IntColor: Grey/Cherry
  • ExtColor: White/Black/gray
Jeep (Toad) braking system
« on: October 12, 2021, 11:03:28 am »
Hi all. I have a 1992 Jeep Wrangler that I want to use as a Toad on my 2012, 2552.  This Jeep was used as a Toad by one of the previous owners as some of the wiring and break-away switch is still present; however, I am not sure what system it was.  Does anyone have an early model year Wrangler that is used as a Toad, and if so, what Braking system do you use?
Any recommendations are greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Steve

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
Re: Jeep (Toad) braking system
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2021, 02:22:17 pm »
There have been braking systems of all sorts over the years.  It would be very difficult to determine the exact braking system installed without significant investigative work.

If there is a solenoid bolted to the floor under the driver seat with a cable under the carpet to the back side of the brake pedal, then it's a Unified Tow Brake like we have on our 2006 Jeep Liberty.
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

Gixxerkid3

• View Profile
  • NewUsed: Used
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2021, 02:48:25 pm »
Unfortunately there are zero indications of what system was there. Nothing as you suggested.  I was hoping to use Invisabrake, but not sure the the braking system will comply with the requirements of the system.
Steve

donc13

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 03/2015
  • Model: 2551
  • ModelYear: 2015
  • IntColor: Nightscape/Hickory
  • ExtColor: White/Nightscape
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2021, 03:31:52 pm »
Trace the wiring going into the break-away switch... What's it connected to?  Does it just go to the interface socket where you'd plug the PC's brake, lights, turn signals and no where else, no way to tell.  If the wiring from that same socket just goes to the tail, brake and turn signals, likewise, that's just generic.   Even if some of the wiring goes under the front driver's seat and/or there is a tap in the vacuum line to the Jeep power brake assembly, and it just leads to a quick connector in the driver's area... Again no way to tell whose (if any! Some people don't use supplemental toad brakes) system was used and you'd save yourself aggravation and time by just getting the supplement system you want and use what pieces on the Jeep you can.

The expensive part is the actual device that goes in your Jeep and PC.

The wiring and hoses are no biggies.

BTW, I presume you know what kind of base plate is on the Jeep so you know which tow bar assembly to get... Unless one came with the Jeep.

---
Don and Patti

WillLloyd

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: Feb/2017
  • Model: 2910
  • ModelYear: 2016
  • IntColor: Pebble
  • ExtColor: Grey
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2021, 07:01:54 pm »
I installed an Invisabrake system in our 2011 wrangler.  I thought I would like it, but In my opinion it was too complex and had too many moving parts for my liking.  If I had to do it again, I would throw one of those portable jobs in on the floor and Call it good.

Joseph

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 3/7/2015
  • ModelYear: 2011
  • IntColor: Tan/Cherry
  • ExtColor: Gray / White
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2021, 10:11:01 pm »
I use the demco stay in play in my 2005 jeep  rubicon.  Once installed all you need to do is throw a toggle switch  and ready to go .  Cost.  $625.  To get that price you have to be patient in your search.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2021, 11:15:23 pm by Joseph »

mikeh

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 02/2019
  • ModelYear: 2019
  • IntColor: Toast
  • ExtColor: Toast
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2021, 11:02:20 pm »
Second Joseph on the Stay-In-Play.  Mine is in a Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk.

As he says, flip one switch is the extent of the setup of your braking system each time you tow.  Mine has been faultless in three years of use.

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2021, 07:45:21 am »
If you are the kind of person that replaces his tow vehicle every 3 to 7 years, it's hard to justify a tow brake system that is permanently installed for easy plug-and-play convenience.  But if you own your vehicles for 10+ years like we do, then the extra investment in such a system makes more money sense.

Our permanently installed tow brake system is called a UNIFIED, made by U.S.Gear that I installed myself.  I like it for it's seamless effort during towing setup, and also because it maintains the vacuum in the power brake booster.  So when the tow brakes are applied, it's always "power brake action" that works exceptionally well.  The brakes have only one level of braking pressure which I have grown to appreciate.  The system offers an adjustment for the sensitivity as to "when" they are activated.  This is managed via an adjustable centrifugal force switch located on our PC center cup holder.  That little controller also has a means to activate the tow brakes independently which is nice for testing purposes.  An LED readout displays the amount of inertia during braking.

Our tow brake setup reduces braking distance compared to not towing.  Our Liberty's brakes help slow down the motorhome which I greatly appreciate.  That was one of it's selling features.

We bought our 2006 Jeep Liberty tow vehicle used in 2009 with 29,000 miles, and have no plan to replace it in the foreseeable future.  Our Liberty turned 15 years this years with 87000 miles logged on the odometer now and is still serves us well.  There are 30,000+ rolling/towing miles not reflected on the odometer.

Though I appreciate our 12 year old tow brake system, new systems and upgraded older systems are available.  If shopping today for a tow brake, I would do my research all over again.  Doing a quick search, I am not certain the Unified tow brake system is still available.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2021, 08:04:12 am by Ron Dittmer »
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

Joseph

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2021, 09:50:32 am »
Ron, the cost for the stay in play kit to switch vehicles is $60.00.  Not really a issue.

Also like yours itís connected to the vacuum system.

There seems to be a lot of people who like the surge brake tow bar. Iím not sold on it however. Iíve been in situations several times where a surge brake  would have activated even when I wasnít applying brakes. Would have only been for a couple seconds I guess but still not my choice. That aside itís an option.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2021, 09:57:36 am by Joseph »

Gixxerkid3

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2021, 10:40:02 am »
Thanks for all the replies.  I was planning on using the ďStay-in-playĒ myself.  However, I do see that nobody here has a 30 year old Jeep such as I do.  And, I have no plans on changing every few years.  I still have a few more years till retirement but I can count them on one hand.  My concern was how antiquated my Jeep was with regard to its braking system compared to newer models.   Mine is in great shape by the way.  Again, thanks for the replies.  This info is very helpful. 
Steve

Gixxerkid3

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2021, 11:28:16 am »
I use the demco stay in play in my 2005 jeep  rubicon.  Once installed all you need to do is throw a toggle switch  and ready to go .  Cost.  $625.  To get that price you have to be patient in your search.

What kind of tow bar do you use?  I inherited an older Blue Ox tow bar (no base plate) in the purchase of my Jeep recently but that seems like overkill. Pics would be greatly appreciated if possible.
Steve

Joseph

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2021, 02:25:42 pm »
Gixxer .   So your in a keep YJ,  nice light weight Jeep.   Iíd still look into the stay in play.  I see no reason it wouldnít work.   

If you have a rust free Jeep YJ  I would never part with it.  4 or 6 cyl?  Soft top? The YJ is under 3,000 lbs in a soft top Ö awesome toad!

Gixxerkid3

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2021, 05:54:09 pm »
Unfortunately itís a 2.5 L low output. Lol. I got it October 4 and Iím still cleaning it up and it has very minimal rust. Mostly surface stuff that I can easily clean off. Itís in outstanding shape.
Steve

WillLloyd

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: Feb/2017
  • Model: 2910
  • ModelYear: 2016
  • IntColor: Pebble
  • ExtColor: Grey
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2021, 06:02:58 pm »
Do some research on your older Tow bar. I read someplace youíre not supposed to use them after 10 years.

Gixxerkid3

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2021, 06:14:53 pm »