• PurchDate: 3/7/2015
  • Model: 2552
  • ModelYear: 2011
  • Slide: Yes
  • IntColor: Tan/Cherry
  • ExtColor: Gray / White
Rear Differential
« on: December 04, 2020, 08:26:48 pm »
I have a 2011 E450 and it's time to change the rear differential Fluid. Does anyone know where I can locate the information as to which Differential it has? Theres a couple possibilities and I don't see it on the differential. Is there a label somewhere or a secret decoder ring that might divulge the info?

Volkemon

• View Profile
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: Used
  • PurchDate: October 31, 2017
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2006
  • IntColor: Light Maple
  • ExtColor: White
Re: Rear Differential
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2020, 06:08:59 am »
I have a 2011 E450 and it's time to change the rear differential Fluid. Does anyone know where I can locate the information as to which Differential it has? Theres a couple possibilities and I don't see it on the differential. Is there a label somewhere or a secret decoder ring that might divulge the info?

Try the door sticker?

https://www.blueovaltrucks.com/tech-articles/identify-your-ford-truck-axle-from-the-door-sticker/

Tag number on axle?

https://www.differentials.com/technical-help-2/differential-identification/

My Ford door sticker says I have a  '52' and that crosses to a Dana 70 HD   7400#   4.10 Ratio.      Found a couple other charts and they agreed FWIW.

But the PC sticker I have says I have a 7800# rear axle rating. I am not gonna lose any sleep over that, but imagine it will spike alarm from others.

""You want to save money on travel, drive a Prius and stay at motel 6""  Forum Member Joseph

WORD.

donc13

• View Profile
  • NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: 03/2015
  • Model: 2551
  • ModelYear: 2015
  • IntColor: Nightscape/Hickory
  • ExtColor: White/Nightscape
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2020, 08:49:19 am »
A dealer can lookup that information for you via the VIN number.  You can do it yourself via the VIN on the Ford parts website also (not an auto parts store).
---
Don and Patti

Joseph

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2020, 10:53:48 am »
Volk, thanks, no tag on mine. I wonít lose sleep over having one or another. There are three options and two diff lube requirements and thatís where I want to get it right .

Don. Using the VIN, Your probably right, thatís the secret decoder ring when all else fails.

Thank you both!

Volkemon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2020, 01:52:43 pm »
Volk, thanks, no tag on mine. I wonít lose sleep over having one or another. There are three options and two diff lube requirements and thatís where I want to get it right .

Don. Using the VIN, Your probably right, thatís the secret decoder ring when all else fails.

Thank you both!

Did you not have a door sticker??   I have not even looked to see if I have a tag. Vin should work, dunno. My sources all said door sticker was the #1, then axle tag as a backup.

The sticker SHOULD be located in the drivers door jamb. Its a Ford factory sticker and should never be removed or defaced.

EDIT - Very Odd. Tried https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/vindecoder.php  and the VIN for the PC shows as invalid. My other truck (a nissan!) works fine.   Tried https://driving-tests.org/vin-decoder/  and the PC VIN worked.  (WH)   No axle info, however. 

EDIT2 - Evidently rear axle is not a VIN specified thing. I did not know that.

Vehicle Descriptor Section
 Characters four through eight represent the model, body type, restraint system, transmission type, and engine code. The ninth character is a security code that authenticates the VIN.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2020, 03:02:19 pm by Volkemon »
""You want to save money on travel, drive a Prius and stay at motel 6""  Forum Member Joseph

WORD.

Joseph

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2020, 06:23:14 pm »
Volk, so I called quick lane (connected to ford dealership) they advised SAE 90 gear lube. It takes a little over a gallon.  Iím at 63,000 miles. Being I tow and itís heavy as it is I look at it as preventative maintenance to change it out . I intended to do it at 60,000 miles but stuff keeps side tracking me.  Heck sometimes I walk out to the garage and then canít remember what I went looking for.

Volkemon

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2020, 11:44:57 am »
Volk, so I called quick lane (connected to ford dealership) they advised SAE 90 gear lube. It takes a little over a gallon.  Iím at 63,000 miles. Being I tow and itís heavy as it is I look at it as preventative maintenance to change it out . I intended to do it at 60,000 miles but stuff keeps side tracking me.  Heck sometimes I walk out to the garage and then canít remember what I went looking for.

Great! Glad that is resolved.

You might want to, I add a 'moly' type additive (Molybdenum disulfide) to gear oil. (GEAR oil, Not the engine oil)

Less friction, and I believe it is beneficial.   Down side is that it changes the oil to black/very dark brown so when checked later it has a 'burnt' appearance and may cause alarm if checked by an unknowing party.

I happen to use the Kimball Midwest version, but have used many other types.  :)(:

WORD.

donc13

• View Profile
  • NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: 03/2015
  • Model: 2551
  • ModelYear: 2015
  • IntColor: Nightscape/Hickory
  • ExtColor: White/Nightscape
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2020, 12:13:50 pm »
I use full synthetic 75/140 gear lube, superb substitute for straight 90 weight
---
Don and Patti

Joseph

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2020, 09:52:11 pm »
Thanks guys, much appreciated. I use synthetic in my jeep already so Iíll prob go that route. I hadnít planned on going straight old school 90. Not that it wouldnít work just think synthetic or like Volk mentioned adding to the base.