• PurchDate: 3/7/2015
  • Model: 2552
  • ModelYear: 2011
  • Slide: Yes
  • IntColor: Tan/Cherry
  • ExtColor: Gray / White
2552-----These mattresses have to go
« on: May 06, 2015, 07:51:51 pm »
But the question is what to replace them with and where can I  purchase upgraded mattress?  I can sleep on a steel girder, dirt you name it but my better half can not. The mattress is killing her back .  There must be a place that handles this or a place that builds custom sizes? 

I'd like to hear what others may have purchased to solve back issues. I'm ok with paying for a custom mattress but I would prefer to only do it once.

GoPhoenix

• View Profile
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: 12/2010
  • Model: 3100
  • IntColor: Slate grey/Cherry
  • ExtColor: Full body grey
Re: 2552-----These mattresses have to go
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2015, 08:33:11 pm »
We didn’t much like our mattresses either.  But finding RV (bunk bed) size is a problem.  I added a 3” memory foam topper which works really great.  Bought this: http://www.overstock.com/Bedding-Bath/Dream-Form-Ventilated-3-inch-Memory-Foam-Mattress-Topper/5309595/product.html?refccid=YIOVTWGIHPZ2UDSJLTBW67I4EU&searchidx=9.  Bought the King Size and cut it in two pieces with an electric knife; goes through it like butter.  Google a video on how to cut memory foam – very easy.  Worked well because the mattresses are not exactly the same length.  Then covered everything with quality mattress pads.

Assume you could completely replace the entire mattress with something like this: http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Sarah-Peyton-Convection-Cooled-10-inch-King-size-Memory-Foam-Mattress/4141898/product.html?refccid=OD76C635UFSKUZKCP24CQ7YIF4&searchidx=3, and cut it in two pieces.
I remember very few of the things that Iíve spent money to buy, but I remember all of the places that Iíve spent money to see.

KB9OMH

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 3/26/13
  • ModelYear: 2013
  • IntColor: Maple
  • ExtColor: Sterling
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2015, 09:43:58 pm »
We have the 3100 with Twin Beds, went to our local Pierson Mattress Company here in Peoria, IL and had new one made the way we wanted, now have a mattress about 6 inches thick and as hard as we like

Jim & Rae Anne

Joseph

• View Profile
  • NewUsed: Used
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2015, 10:59:48 pm »
GoPhoenix .. I was going to try to stay away from memory foam; Everyone tells me they are very hot.  If  I would give it a try I'd go like you did with the topper that isn't so pricey. At 99 dollars its worth a try.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 11:07:04 pm by Joseph »

Joseph

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2015, 11:04:42 pm »
Jim ... Having one made I'm assuming there is an upcharge. Was the upcharge somewhat reasonable?

Barry-Sue

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 10/17/11
  • Model: 2551
  • ModelYear: 2012
  • IntColor: Cherry
  • ExtColor: Classic Umber
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2015, 11:52:53 pm »
Just yesterday we ordered a new mattress for our home and talked to Jeff at mattress to go about RV mattresses.  We learned that Therapedic makes RV mattresses.  They will actually custom make what you want such as an innerspring.  We too were staying away from memory foam, gel, and latex.  We opted for an innerspring at home and one day we will get new ones for the RV.

I priced out an innerspring twin for the RV and it was under $300.  They will not only adjust the length and width but also the depth.  The website is www.matt-to-go.com.  Jeff is the owner and is more then willing to help RV owners out.

Also, as we were doing our research we found many factories that make custom mattresses in many of the states.  If you check out the mattress underground website at http://www.themattressunderground.com/the-mattress-underground-membership.html they have some mattress companies listed by state.  It is a very helpful website in answering questions about the different types of mattresses made today.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 06:05:16 am by Barry-Sue »
Barry and Sue 
Current   2012 2551 w/Slide
Previous 2008 2350 w/Slide

TomHanlon

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2015, 06:11:05 am »
When you measure, measure the depth measure from the bed board up to the bottom of the side curtain thingy by the window. I went to add a 3" topper on my twin and it was to high to fit under the thingy. It was a standard twin topper and the width and length were ok but it was too thick. I ended up with a cheap $29 egg create pad from Wal-mart. Works for me.

Doneworking

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: September 2013
  • Model: 2350 Ford
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2015, 07:12:35 am »
We made a memory foam topper and tried that for a couple of trips.  Like Tom, we are back to the "Walmart Way"........egg crate and it works just fine for us. 

Paul

GoPhoenix

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 12/2010
  • IntColor: Slate grey/Cherry
  • ExtColor: Full body grey
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2015, 07:40:11 am »
Iíll have to admit Iím puzzled by the aversion to memory foam.  We just spent the month of March at a Florida RV resort and found the memory foam toppers to very comfortable.  The extra height was not a problem for us.  Never experienced them to be ďhotĒ, even in Florida.  A great solution for us Ė easy and economical.   (nod)
I remember very few of the things that Iíve spent money to buy, but I remember all of the places that Iíve spent money to see.

Pax

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2015, 09:27:01 am »
We use the same setup and have had the same experience as GoPhoenix.  Our memory foam toppers are comfy and not hot (for us).

KB9OMH

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 3/26/13
  • IntColor: Maple
  • ExtColor: Sterling
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2015, 09:39:07 am »
Joseph,
       Yes there is a up charge.  Ours ran about $400.00 each.
That said,  we love them and would do it again.

Jim

TomHanlon

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2015, 10:09:04 am »
We use the same setup and have had the same experience as GoPhoenix.  Our memory foam toppers are comfy and not hot (for us).

My wife says I am hot stuff so maybe I am the problem.  roflol

It was the thickness that was the problem. I kept laying on my side and my hip felt like it was on the board. I sleep on a Temapedic at home. Do you know you should use a water proof matteress pad on a form bed because water can kill the form. I stated life as a baby sleeping on a water proof bed and now I am back to it as an old man.  roflol

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2015, 10:36:04 am »
This is for reference only given the direction of the discussion, but we had issues with our 2350 mattress that we were able to resolve.

CLICK HERE to read about it.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 10:37:38 am by ron.dittmer »
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

Doneworking

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: September 2013
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2015, 01:10:03 pm »
With our egg crate, we use this: http://www.amazon.com/49x75-curve-cotton-Winnebago-Sheets/dp/B008R9Q406/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1431021870&sr=8-3&keywords=winnebago+sheets

Although made for a View, they fit well and are high quality.  Let's face it:  corner beds are a booger to get out of for the person sleeping next to the window on the 2350.  Me.  The memory foam worked great on our previous RV, a Roadtrek with twin beds, but crawling out of bed on three inches of memory foam in our 2350 is a task best performed by trained acrobats. 

Paul

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2015, 02:04:41 pm »
I kept laying on my side and my hip felt like it was on the board.

Our original dinette cushions were made of standard foam covered in fabric.  Some years later we got the memory foam cushions covered in leather, pleather, vinyl,  or whatever it is.  The difference is night and day for sitting comfort.  Like Tom describes with his mattress, I bottomed-out sitting on the standard cushions, but not now with the memory foam cushions.  I have only tested laying on the dinette when converted into a bed and that too was an encouraging experience.  It had me wondering if we should get a memory foam mattress for our double bed 2350 because like Tom, I too will bottom-out on our standard foam mattress but not once settled into a resting position which is why I tolerate it well.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 02:06:13 pm by ron.dittmer »
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer