• OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: Used
  • PurchDate: September 2013
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2013
  • Slide: Yes
Dewinterizing
« on: April 03, 2022, 10:40:18 am »
I de-winterized our 2013 PC 2350 yesterday.  It has been in enclosed storage since late November.   It is always such a geat feeling to get ready for spring, flush your lines and tanks, sanitize and get ready to go!   It is also a great feeling when nothing leaks, proving you didn't miss anything when you put it to bed last November!

Although many (or perhaps most) on this forum would disagree, I love the older technology of my rig.   It was built back when the old crew was running the show and in eight years of ownership I have had no problems except little things like the cabinet latches, replacing the entry door latch and lock, etc.   I have been major problem free all this time and continue to appreciate the quality and design of the coach.   It is really nice to own something and be happy with the ownership.   

Paul

Gixxerkid3

Re: Dewinterizing
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2022, 11:00:18 am »
Good morning (well at the moment it is) Paul. I too just de-winterized my 2012 2552.
Funny story, when I was getting everything flushed, filled and washed down, I looked in the shower and saw a yellowish orange liquid on the shower floor.  Immediately my mind said it was either a mouse or a rat that had gotten into the coach and left us a puddle of pee. Well after look in the entire coach over for mouse/rat droppings, entry points and nests, I went back to the shower and realized that the Orange Dial bar soap (directly above) had dripped onto the shower floor because it got hot one day here in Seattle recently.  Such a relief.  I also gave it a good polish and buffing. It had built up a smidge of oxidation on the unpainted gel-coat.  An orbital buffer works well with little effort.  My rig is half paint half gel.  The only thing left is the dreaded overhang on the cab. It is a good feeling to get the coach back to working order.  Unfortunately, I do not have the ability to store indoors; however, she weathered the Seattle winter well.  We are going on our first trip of the year on the 8th and looking forward to that.  Have fun this year and be safe.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2022, 11:04:09 am by Gixxerkid3 »

Gixxerkid3

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2022, 03:51:05 pm »
Well I did it.  I got the cab done.  What a job really.  Used a 6 step ladder and a 2 pad sitting on top of the black fins near the windshield wipers to displace the weight of my foot.  A tad dangerous but it was a solid footing.  Wife was there to guide the ladder just in case.  Now she is all pretty. 
« Last Edit: April 05, 2022, 11:03:18 pm by Gixxerkid3 »

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2022, 03:55:35 pm »
I love the older technology of my rig.   It was built back when the old crew was running the show and in eight years of ownership I have had no problems except little things like the cabinet latches, replacing the entry door latch and lock, etc.   I have been major problem free all this time and continue to appreciate the quality and design of the coach.   It is really nice to own something and be happy with the ownership.   

Paul
Paul,

I tend to agree with you.  Our 2007 model 2350 was one of the early years for the Sanicon in which by itself, adds convenience through technical complexity to what is otherwise a basic operational motorhome.  To-date, I had to mess with the macerator one time, otherwise everything pretty much has been working as it should with minimal unscheduled intervention.  Like yourself, I have replaced a few cabinet latches and cleaned up the kitchen faucet twice over the years to stop a leak around the base of the neck.  I also had to replace the hot water tank 110V heating element soon after our PC was out of warranty in 2008.  I do get fussy cleaning the waste system in the fall, and chlorinating the fresh water system just before our first trip of the year.

The first generation 4-way, and the current day 3-way fresh water valve seems to be a very nice feature, but I manage just fine handling everything the conventional way.

One feature I recall using only one time in all these years is the outside shower.  That feature is ill protected from freezing and allows cold air to enter our vanity, hence I wish we didn't have it.  I could remove the plumbing to it and insulate the area well, but that doesn't sit well with me.  Knowing how life goes, after I remove it, I will have great need for it.

I have logged in many hours working on our PC, but nearly all have been upgrades and improvements.  Very little goes wrong in part from being garage kept.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2022, 04:09:28 pm by Ron Dittmer »
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

Doneworking

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: September 2013
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2022, 04:35:05 pm »
Ron, I had a problem with the mounting of the macerator pump.   It was supported on the exterior side with a large U clamp in a manner that caused undue pressure on the bayonet fitting on the input side.  Vibration from normal driving and mileage caused a leak at that point.

I altered the U clamp so the alignment was proper and as opposed to replacing the fittings, I simply used Dycor to seal the leak after cleaning the area thoroughly before applying.   That was about 20,000 miles ago and it hasn't leaked since.   Now, that's a low tech lazy solution to a simple problem that should never have occurred and would not have happened if the clamp had been placed correctly during construction.   It didn't take but less than a quarter of an inch out of alignment to cause the problem. 

I have had those outside showers on several rigs over the years and my record is perfect:  I have never used one and only acknowledge its presence when winterizing and dewinterizing.

Steve, your ladder and one foot on the hood says a lot about your balance and the faith you have in your wife holding the ladder!    heartshower

« Last Edit: April 03, 2022, 04:40:14 pm by Doneworking »

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2022, 07:11:33 pm »
Ron, I had a problem with the mounting of the macerator pump.   It was supported on the exterior side with a large U clamp in a manner that caused undue pressure on the bayonet fitting on the input side.  Vibration from normal driving and mileage caused a leak at that point.
I know exactly what you mean because I created the same scenario when changing my generic perforated strap to a nice looking "U" bracket.  After much fussing, I eventually gave up and reverted back to the original one to stop the dripping.
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

LRUCH

• Larry and the "Escape Pod"
    • View Profile
  • PurchDate: 08/2020
  • Model: 2900
  • ModelYear: 2010
  • IntColor: Maple
  • ExtColor: White/Sage
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2022, 11:24:12 pm »
I've never figured out how to quote a prior statement,,, but DONEWORKING said that they had only used the outdoor spray once. I agree...

It's on the wrong side of the RV.  Imagine it being near the main door. When you come back from the beach or lake you could wash off your feet. Or after stomping through mud in the rainy season to get back to your RV you could wash off your shoes. Or wash your dog's muddy feet!  Then step inside with clean feet/shoes/paws.  Who wants to "shower" outdoors?  Is there an outdoor shower curtain to suction cup to the side of the RV top facilitates any kind of privacy needed for a shower?

Phoenix should realize it would be used more frequently near the main door than on the back side of the RV.

Sorry... Just needed to point out a major flaw in the positioning of the "outdoor shower".

I'll go crawl back into my cave now.  Lol
Larry

Not old & no Shih Tzu!   Take that RVTravel.Com!!!

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2022, 11:52:10 pm »
For myself, better than having the outdoor shower in an improved location, would be to not have one in the first place.  Had I known back in the day how I'd feel about having an outdoor shower, I would have ordered our PC without that feature.  But to be honest, its not a big deal.

The only other item I would have deleted is the conventional telephone wiring, such outdated technology.

I don't care for our crank up antenna but it was the popular choice back in the days of analog TV.  I find it interesting, that same antenna was installed long after the change to digital TV.  It might still be installed today on other brand new motorhomes.  Our works fine for digital but it's a lot of apparatus that I think could be simplified with a true 360 degree fixed digital antenna.

Sorry for getting off topic.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2022, 12:00:14 am by Ron Dittmer »
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

RollinInn

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 2/2022
  • ModelYear: 2016
  • IntColor: Desert Sand/Cherry
  • ExtColor: Toast
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2022, 01:29:20 am »
I used the outside shower quite a bit in all of our RV's.  I much prefer hot water with a wet dryer sheet to get rid of the bug guts on the front.  Hot water does much better at getting those guts off with little effort.  But I do agree, the shower is on the wrong side for quick washes of feet (2 or 4) before entering the RV.  It's not just PC's, every RV has the outside shower on the street side & next to the wet bay.  Convenience of install.

My 2016 still had the batwing/crank up antenna.  That antenna has been in every RV I had since the 1st TT in 2000.  While it's a tried & true performer, at least once a season the crank would come apart & I had to chase the dang spring wherever it had bounced & then get DH to put it back together.   I got tired of that.  I had the batwing in my PC replaced with a stationary King omni-directional antenna.  I may not have the tuning control vs the batwing since I can't move it to the best direction for the signal, but I don't go RV-ing to watch TV.    I never cared for satellite & am quite happy with whatever I can get OTA.
Lori 🍷
2016 Phoenix Cruiser 2350S towing 2014 Honda CRV EX-L
"RV there yet?"

2 Frazzled

• View Profile
    • Spirit of the Woods
  • PurchDate: May 2013
  • Model: 2552
  • IntColor: Sunlit & Cherry
  • ExtColor: Sunlit
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2022, 06:49:41 am »
They have little pop-up tent type changing room/bathroom/shower rooms that would work for privacy. If you're boondocking a lot, that shower could come in useful. You can't dump grey water but you CAN shower outside (biodegradable soap please).

Rinsing off at the door would be nice but then you have a puddle at the door or on your mat.

That said, we haven't used the outdoor shower unit much either though we've met people that do. I hope to use it when we get back out west and do more boondocking.
John, Holly, and sometimes Chloe.
Travel Blog: Spiritofthewoods.net