• PurchDate: 02/20
  • Model: 2100
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • Slide: Yes
  • IntColor: Cherry/Desert Sand
  • ExtColor: Grey
Roadside Assistance Plans
« on: January 03, 2022, 02:50:43 pm »
People seem to like their roadside service plan until they have to use it and encounter grief.  Horror stories abound.   And, RV travel forum respondents generate frenzy across the internet with a type of bashing that parallels what occurs in our news media today.  I read first-hand accounts of inexcusably bad call center service and hoped it was just an occasional issue.  Then, I saw it again and again.

Very few writers generate a report about a good experience.  Others, who feel cheated, have little reluctance to complain.  That is human nature.   Hard to pick one or the other of the plans, based on the back and forth with no clear winner or loser.  For every bad story about one company, I  hear the same for another.  And, it's not just a handful of posts on one forum.  As if the challenge is to contrive better ways to express outrage
My horrible experience with Good Sam pertains to their vehicle insurance.  Being brand new to the RV Market, I accepted the dealerís offer and purchased liability/comprehensive insurance coverage thru Campers World / Good Sam.  When I called their number to acquire the policy, I was assured by the salesperson the company was fully licensed and full coverage could be provided.  A year later, when it came time to renew, it was revealed the Campers World insurance provider wasnít licensed in my state of residence.  They had sold me a policy that wasnít renewable.  Or, as revealed in the terse conversation - unenforceable.  I had the properly addressed policy document.  However, I doubt my avenue to collect damages or be protected from liability.  In the event of a claim, it would have been enforceable only under duress.  After expressing considerable anguish at the risk that unknowingly exposed me to, the misrepresentation yielded me a full refund of the premium
Roadside assistance plans are just another high profit business for the companies that advertise these services. I choose NOT to participate with these companies. I learn, if you call them for help, you have to sit there and wait for them to make multiple calls to tow companies trying to find the cheapest one to come help. The problem with a company like Good Sam is that they get enough newbies buying their product because of endless advertisement, that they don't care when they lose a customer.

In today's world, I can have everything needed at my fingertips. I would rather take on the responsibility myself instead of waiting for a call taker to get help. I just feel more comfortable being in control of the situation and not depending on others. I take very good care of all my equipment and service intervals are observed, so my odds of not having a problem are higher than some who don't. So far, the odds have been in my favor.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2022, 12:29:08 pm by Taildragger »

Phil Grennan

• View Profile
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: 04/2021
  • Model: 3100
  • ModelYear: 2021
  • IntColor: Hickory
  • ExtColor: Custom Grey
Re: Roadside Assistance Plans
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2022, 05:39:37 pm »
Excellent summary and points. 

Joseph

• View Profile
  • NewUsed: Used
  • PurchDate: 3/7/2015
  • Model: 2552
  • ModelYear: 2011
  • IntColor: Tan/Cherry
  • ExtColor: Gray / White
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2022, 05:59:19 pm »
I have had Triple A for 36+ years.  I have used them literally dozens of times. They have never failed me l. It has never been a case of get it done and ask for reimbursement. Not once! Itís always been one call and they take care of it and let me know when the help will arrive. In Ca I can expect service in 30 minutes. If I need a flatbed usually in 45 minutes. The exceptions are when thereís been a major freeway accident that causes delays. And in the case of a delay they give me frequent updates. Out of state I had to wait over an hour for tire service but I was 45 miles from the nearest tow service.  Again, I call an 800 number and they make all the contacts. I never show the service anything other than my triple A card and drivers lic. Iím good with that. I have not one complaint on triple A service so far with maybe the exception being itís not cheap.  But then how often do you find anything good thatís cheap.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2022, 06:03:53 pm by Joseph »

Volkemon

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: October 31, 2017
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2006
  • IntColor: Light Maple
  • ExtColor: White
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2022, 09:33:25 pm »
I have had Triple A for 36+ years.  I have used them literally dozens of times. They have never failed me l. It has never been a case of get it done and ask for reimbursement. Not once! Itís always been one call and they take care of it and let me know when the help will arrive. In Ca I can expect service in 30 minutes. If I need a flatbed usually in 45 minutes. The exceptions are when thereís been a major freeway accident that causes delays. And in the case of a delay they give me frequent updates. Out of state I had to wait over an hour for tire service but I was 45 miles from the nearest tow service.  Again, I call an 800 number and they make all the contacts. I never show the service anything other than my triple A card and drivers lic. Iím good with that. I have not one complaint on triple A service so far with maybe the exception being itís not cheap.  But then how often do you find anything good thatís cheap.

Ditto.  Used AAA many times since 1983.   Still do.
""You want to save money on travel, drive a Prius and stay at motel 6""  Forum Member Joseph

WORD.

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2022, 09:45:55 am »
We have AARP roadside assistance through Hartford which specifically includes our motorhome.  Using it once last fall while on the shoulder of I-90 in the middle of nowhere, was a total disaster.  Working with them was simply wasting precious time, and I still have not yet received my refund for paying the $250 towing fee myself to make it happen promptly.  We stand with Taildragger on his assessment.  The only people we can count on is ourselves to make things happen in a reasonable time frame.  Though we did not resort to using our tow vehicle for making towing arrangements, having it made the over-all experience work reasonably well.  We will always bring our tow vehicle.
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

mikeponiatowski

• View Profile
  • IntColor: Cherry/Brown/Beige
  • ExtColor: White/Green
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2022, 01:05:52 pm »
I stand with AAA all the way.  Get the upgrade with RV and Motorcycle assistance.  Never an issue wherever you travel.  Years and years of easy service when and where needed.

Woodchuck

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 04/2021
  • Model: 2552
  • ModelYear: 2020
  • IntColor: Toast
  • ExtColor: Toast
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2022, 10:16:05 pm »
I'm sure there are as many different opinions about roadside assistance plans as their are about motorhome brands. Having had many rv types, I'll share my experience with roadside service. We had no roadside assistance with our pull trailers or fifthwheels. No assistance with our first class c or first class a. One year of Coach Net came with the purchase of our 2018 Tiffin. This was our first experience with roadside assistance. Never had to use Coach Net but the reviews on the Tiffin Network were excellent. We have also had Saferide through FMCA (Family Motor Coach Assc). Flat tire service not that great because they will not repair a tire on the road. If you can get contracted company to bring a new tire, it most likely not be the same brand or tread pattern. They will tow you to the nearest repair service within their agreement. We now have Good Sam Assist on our cars & PC. They have been excellent for our cars. Haven't used them for PC. The Good, Bad & Ugly of Roadside Plans are many. The reviews are all over the board. My advice is to read the fine print for tire service. At my age, I'm not going to be changing tires, front or back. I'm only concerned about flat tire service. Not really concerned about the PC breaking down.  AAA was excellent for our cars but didn't offer RV service in our area when we decided to purchase a plan. I will check AAA when our Good Sam Roadside Assist expires. Chuck :)
Chuck & Sheila

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2022, 07:06:27 am »
At my age, I'm not going to be changing tires, front or back. I'm only concerned about flat tire service.
I know in recent years, Phoenix no longer includes a spare tire.  But for you who have one, don't be shy in handling it.

For 12 years with our original tires undisturbed, a couple years ago I removed the front tires for the first time to change shocks.  I was 61 years old at the time and I was never a strong fellow.  I was very surprised how easy it was to handle the tires.

Fast forward two years to this past summer at age 63, I changed all 6 tires myself as I have access to a tire changer machine.  I also switched 4 of the 6 tires from steel to alloy.

The weight of a tire with steel wheel is 83 pounds.  Add 2 pounds more for the wheel cover.  An alloy wheel weighs 63 pounds.  83 pounds sounds like a lot, and it is, but somehow I can manage it well without ripping a hernia.....not even close.  It's "how" the weight is handled.  I figure as I get too old to handle a tire myself, I will ask for help.  At least I always carry everything I need to make it happen.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2022, 07:10:35 am by Ron Dittmer »
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

Taildragger

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 02/20
  • IntColor: Cherry/Desert Sand
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2022, 04:32:25 pm »
I stand with AAA all the way.  Get the upgrade with RV and Motorcycle assistance.  Never an issue wherever you travel.  Years and years of easy service when and where needed.
AAA affiliated travelers, based on their experience, give good recommendations for the service.  Certainly, the predominant attitude on this forum. That is what I was looking for.

I contacted a local AAA representative and was encouraged to learn about Vehicle Insurance options offered by AAA through a variety of nationally known companies.  I think that is where I'll start.  And, see what the leads to.

WillLloyd

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: Feb/2017
  • Model: 2910
  • ModelYear: 2016
  • IntColor: Pebble
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2022, 12:15:37 pm »
Something else to keep in mind, if you bought a new coach, it came with a five year roadside assistance plan from Ford.