• OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: Used
  • PurchDate: Dec 2019
  • Model: 2552
  • ModelYear: 2014
  • Slide: Yes
Leave the Seat up!
« on: November 21, 2021, 11:55:07 am »
Just exercised our winterized 2552.  When doing a quick inspection, there was a mouse floating in the toilet bowl.  I had left the bowl about half full of the pink stuff.  Guess it wanted a drink, and couldn’t climb out of the porcelain bowl.  Now got to find out where he was residing.
Terry

Free2RV

• Gary and Susie
    • View Profile
  • NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: P.U. 6/11/18
  • Model: 3100
  • ModelYear: 2018
  • IntColor: Nightscape (Cherry)
  • ExtColor: Graystone (FBP)
Re: Leave the Seat up!
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2021, 03:00:07 pm »
Chances are likely that if you found one, there are more hiding out somewhere. 
Gary

Gixxerkid3

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 05/08/021
  • ModelYear: 2012
  • IntColor: Grey/Cherry
  • ExtColor: White/Black/gray
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2021, 08:01:28 pm »
Gotta love hearing that.  That a bummer. Hope you find the source of entry. 
Steve

Joseph

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 3/7/2015
  • ModelYear: 2011
  • IntColor: Tan/Cherry
  • ExtColor: Gray / White
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2021, 08:49:23 pm »
Damn I hate mice and rats even more.  Best of luck eliminating them.

WillLloyd

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: Feb/2017
  • Model: 2910
  • ModelYear: 2016
  • IntColor: Pebble
  • ExtColor: Grey
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2021, 12:14:24 pm »
We found one in our toilet bowl after several months. It was all but dissolved. It took me three days to get the stench out of my nostrils.

Gixxerkid3

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 05/08/021
  • ModelYear: 2012
  • IntColor: Grey/Cherry
  • ExtColor: White/Black/gray
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2021, 05:47:55 pm »
I would like to think that my RV is mouse proof but that would be very presumptuous.  Anyhow, not sure where they could get in. All closed up and I have not seen any entry points underneath.  But again…presumptuous. Since we check it regularly, I will make a point to really look for those little pesky things.  My wife put Moens Mouse Mix deterrent in aromatic bags throughout the RV, so we’ll see what happens.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2021, 05:51:44 pm by Gixxerkid3 »
Steve

2 Frazzled

• View Profile
    • Spirit of the Woods
  • PurchDate: May 2013
  • ModelYear: 2013
  • IntColor: Sunlit & Cherry
  • ExtColor: Sunlit
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2021, 04:57:13 am »
We've had a couple of mice get into the rig and can't find their entry point. I'm thinking possibly through the engine compartment/front cab wall. There are pass through access and wirng ports in the cab and I know mice and pack rats like to get up in the engine compartment. We have electronic deterrents in both car and truck engine areas but aren't as good as we should be about replacing the batteries (we use rechargeable to cut waste stream). We've camped where other rigs were constantly trapping mice and in four months there we only had one. I put really strong peppermint sachets all over the rig back when we stored it for a while and were mouse free when we took her back out.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2021, 04:59:48 am by 2 Frazzled »
John, Holly, and sometimes Chloe.
Travel Blog: Spiritofthewoods.net

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2021, 09:10:45 am »
I realize mothballs stink up the rig, but having enough distributed around will prevent rodents from moving in.  Mice can do some serious damage to chassis wiring in the engine compartment, so hang a couple of sacks of mothballs in there too.

Off-season, I store our Saturn Sky SEEN HERE outside under a make-shift canopy under our deck.  Check out the last two pictures.  Our property is a rodent city, in part because we feed the birds in the winter.  The deck is adjacent to the feeding area making rodents a serious threat to the car.  I place trays of mothballs in the trunk and passenger compartment, and hang 3 sacks under the hood.  I also plug the exhaust pipe with a tight-fitting plastic bottle to prevent critters from moving in there.  It has been working well.  Just a little such effort pays back big.

We could use a couple of alley cats.  They would have plenty to eat.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2021, 09:41:44 am by Ron Dittmer »
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

Engineerlt

• A Little Project
    • View Profile
  • PurchDate: Aug, 2019
  • ModelYear: 2017
  • IntColor: Hickory
  • ExtColor: Toast
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2021, 09:26:30 am »
I have been told that mice can get in through the engine compartment by climbing up the inside of the windshield pillars. That puts them in the open area behind the TV which allows them to make there way through the entire coach. I am currently doing everything I can to keep them out of the inside of my PC. I have mounted glue traps under the hood and have caught 5 so far. I spent half a day under the the PC and sealed up anything that even looked like a gap. I did find a couple mice in the pull out drawer outside. So I removed everything out of the entire RV. I also bought some of that TomCat repellant mice/mouse spray, smells like peppermint. Not sure if it works or not but since I have sprayed it haven't seen anymore mice in the glue traps. I do however have a squirrel that has been giving me a run for my money. He has been stuck in a glue trap once or twice. I have the glue traps taped down so the mice can't move them if they get caught. Had a bunch of squirrel hair   and some footprints left behind and actually one of the glue traps went missing so I would imagine the squirrel is running around with it stuck to him.

This is my first winter in TN since moving from Florida. So living out in the sticks has been a learning curve for me.

Not sure if you know this but rodent damage isn't covered by your insurance.  I have Prudential and got a $10,000 rider that covers rodent damage for $15 a year.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2021, 09:32:03 am by Engineerlt »

mikeh

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 02/2019
  • ModelYear: 2019
  • IntColor: Toast
  • ExtColor: Toast
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2021, 11:04:08 am »
I'd never had issues with my other vehicles, so initially kind of tossed off the warnings and guidance about rodents when I bought my RV in 2019.  Didn't factor in that my other vehicles moved routinely, while my 2552 remained stationary for more extended periods.  I pretty quickly got serious about things, however, when I found a pack rat nest started on top of the battery, and had to repair a chewed harness to my #6 injector which caused that cylinder to drop entirely.

After considerable online research, below is my solution to the issue which has worked so far.  The only part I can take credit for is using the tea balls to encapsulate the cotton balls--I got tired of them blowing around the engine compartment any time I fired the engine.  I use heavy monofilament to suspend one electronic deterrent on each side of the engine, and a few cotton balls saturated with the pure peppermint oil.  Alkalines last about 3 months in the electronic units and I hit the tea balls with a new shot of peppermint every month or so.  Crossed fingers--but so far, so good.
Mike

IMG_1860 by Michael Henry, on Flickr   

Joseph

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2021, 11:11:50 am »
We had Rats get in our attic about 4-5 years ago. You could hear them all night scratching and running around. Drove us and the dog nuts. Set traps. Caught one then they wouldn’t go near them again regardless of bait. Exterminator wanted to set traps and bait stations at a huge cost. 

I read everything I could on ways to drive them out. Not sure how I come across it but I found a thing called the TR3 on Amazon. Multiple speaker ultra sonic repellent. The company responds within hours on questions and goes beyond in helping. They do say however their success rate with squirrels is about 75%. I installed it late in the day once I wired an outlet in the attic. That night allllll night we were kept awake by the rats running back and forth and squealing! We have not had an issue with anything in the attic since. I was never able to locate how the got in.

This device wouldn’t have any effect outside but for anyone storing in a building it might help.

Regarding the company.  After 4 years the device started to get where you could hear it. I ordered another and mentioned how the one I had was acting. They sent me a replacement for it.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2021, 11:14:41 am by Joseph »

WillLloyd

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: Feb/2017
  • Model: 2910
  • ModelYear: 2016
  • IntColor: Pebble
  • ExtColor: Grey
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2021, 08:02:44 pm »
I think it has nothing to do with the remedies and everything to do with where you park it. When we bring ours home, the mice are in it before the engine is cold.  And there are no moths in the fresh minty smelling nests which are right next to the ultrasonic thing.  But when we store it at my friends farm for the winter, basically in the middle of a field, we’ve never had so much as one mouse dropping in it. Go figure.

Joseph

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2021, 12:51:47 am »
Everything to do with where you park it ? That would mean Earth. 

Volkemon

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: October 31, 2017
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2006
  • IntColor: Light Maple
  • ExtColor: White
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2021, 09:10:11 am »
Everything to do with where you park it ? That would mean Earth.

TRUE!   Now if we can just convince Elon to launch a 2551 we will have a guaranteed mouse free camper.  roflol

Down here the trick is to have the stored camper well away from Palm trees and infested buildings, similar to what WillLloyd stated.   Park under a palm tree, and you are asking for visitors. Many are rat havens.

And when here in Florida,  dont confuse lizard droppings with mouse droppings. They look very similar, but the Lizard ones have a white dot of Urea on the end. Mice/rats 'widdle as they walk' so its all dark.
""You want to save money on travel, drive a Prius and stay at motel 6""  Forum Member Joseph

WORD.

Joseph

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2021, 12:22:45 pm »
Volk, I live in the the Coachella Valley.... (Palm Springs Ca area) all resort and damn near every yard except mine palm trees. Hate those damn Rat dens. Then to add insult most of my neighbors have fruit trees which they never harvest so a feeding ground. Worst is the Lemon trees which produce fruit 3-4 times a year.

Pests, be it insects or rodents are everywhere. Once in Saudi Arabia, way out in the dunes away from Jeddah, with nothing but sand for miles a can of soda is spilled and soon out of now where it's covered in ants. Bizzare; You are never truly alone.