• PurchDate: 6/10/20
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2008
  • Slide: Yes
  • IntColor: Slate Grey
  • ExtColor: Slate Grey
Smoke Alarm Relocation
« on: October 23, 2021, 10:15:45 am »
Our 2350 has the smoke detector almost right above your head when standing at the stove.  The thing goes off whenever we use the toaster and sometimes when using the stove.  I know the guidelines state it should be close to where you sleep.  Take away the cab portion of a 24 ft rv and you have about maybe 18 ft left "where you sleep".
Has anyone moved the detector away from the stove area? 

donc13

• View Profile
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: 03/2015
  • Model: 2551
  • ModelYear: 2015
  • IntColor: Nightscape/Hickory
  • ExtColor: White/Nightscape
Re: Smoke Alarm Relocation
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2021, 11:59:00 am »
Don't know the layout of a 2350,but in our 2551,it's located about 2' behind the cab area in the middle of the ceiling.

It should be easy to move, but don't know what you would do about the holes and impression in the ceiling.
---
Don and Patti

LRUCH

• View Profile
  • NewUsed: Used
  • PurchDate: 08/2020
  • Model: 2900
  • ModelYear: 2010
  • IntColor: Maple
  • ExtColor: White/Sage
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2021, 12:31:10 pm »
I moved mine to above the door on the ceiling. It's out of the way and no false alarms. The old location can be steamed with a carpet cleaner and within a couple of months you won't be able to see the spot anymore.
The white carpet ceiling will retake its original nap with a bit of coaxing between steaming.

I moved the detector in the back as well. It was right in the center aisle and my head would hit it now and then. It's now 2ft to the side and basically more to the center of the bed when the slide is out. When the slide is in, only the edge of the detector is visible if you are tall enough to see over the slide. Heat & smoke rises so I don't feel like the new position is impaired.

Overall... It actually looks much better with a big wide open ceiling end to end.

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2021, 01:17:56 pm »
bangorbob,

I know exactly what you mean.

When cooking with significant smoke that overwhelms the vented range hood, we developed the habit of removing the smoke detector and placing it on the dining table, then turn on the Fantastic fan.  I hang the detector back up before we sit down to eat.

One reason why I have not moved the detector is the imprint and holes left in the ceiling.  Interesting what LRUCH has to say about that.

To be honest, I never considered the problem big enough to warrant taking action, but now you planted the seed in my head.  :)
« Last Edit: October 23, 2021, 01:22:42 pm by Ron Dittmer »
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

2 Frazzled

• View Profile
    • Spirit of the Woods
  • PurchDate: May 2013
  • Model: 2552
  • ModelYear: 2013
  • IntColor: Sunlit & Cherry
  • ExtColor: Sunlit
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2021, 04:58:12 am »
Ours went off when we cooked on the stove, when we opened the microwave and steam came out and occasionally when the AC kicked on. We full time and it probably took us seven years to get tired of it and move it.

We started with taking it down when cooking then putting it back up, then we moved on to leaving it down. We figured a less than ideal location beat no detector at all and finally moved it more toward the cab.

Our 2013 had vinyl ceiling panels so the screw holes do not disappear. The imprint should eventually smooth out. We replaced a light fixture and the old imprint is no longer visible but it took a long time.
John, Holly, and sometimes Chloe.
Travel Blog: Spiritofthewoods.net

Bangorbob

• View Profile
  • NewUsed: Used
  • PurchDate: 6/10/20
  • ModelYear: 2008
  • IntColor: Slate Grey
  • ExtColor: Slate Grey
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2021, 09:12:06 am »
Thanks for the replies.  I have been removing when it starts beeping, but just wanted to know if it made much difference where it is located in a small unit.