• NewUsed: Used
  • Model: 2100
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • Slide: Yes
  • IntColor: Cherry/Brown/Beige
  • ExtColor: White/Green
New A/C? Fridge?
« on: October 15, 2021, 11:42:27 am »
I have a 2007 2100 with a working Duo-Therm  original A/C unit.  No issues, just checked it out up-top and cleaned everything.  I am just wondering how long do these things last?  At 14 years old should I consider a new one.  Can these be rebuilt?   Same questions and situation for the Fridge.  How long do they last in average use?    FYI, the rig is stored indoors 6 months out of the year.

Thanks for any insights and experiences.

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
Re: New A/C? Fridge?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2021, 02:17:28 pm »
Our 2007 2350 is as old as yours and stored similarly.  I have absolutely no concern of reliability of the a/c unit or fridge.  Keep in-mind that both were made during better manufacturing times.  Since the recession of 2009, many things RV related seems to have reduced quality.

The only things you can do to reduce potential failure is maintenance like you are doing, and to soften the ride of your PC as best as you can.  Make sure you don't over-inflate your tires and if you dare, consider what I did HERE.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2021, 02:26:11 pm by Ron Dittmer »
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

donc13

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 03/2015
  • Model: 2551
  • ModelYear: 2015
  • IntColor: Nightscape/Hickory
  • ExtColor: White/Nightscape
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2021, 03:06:20 pm »
The biggest thing is usage hours.   If you rarely use the A/C it's likely in better condition than if you constantly use it.  Eventually, compressor seals will fail, brazed joints can crack, evaporator and expansion coils can become damaged.  A pressure check by a qualified Dometic a/c tech can give you a good idea.

The fridge, it's a sealed system, but parts can fail.  Keeping the vent area behind the refrigerator clean and free of obstruction is always a good idea.  Make sure the propane lines aren't leaking (soapy water) is also a good idea.

---
Don and Patti

Tarnold

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: Dec 2019
  • Model: 2552
  • ModelYear: 2014
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2021, 04:22:29 pm »
As for the fridge..norcold?  Donít overload the door with lots of heavy stuff.  At the recent rally, the bottom hinge on ours just broke clean off. Plastic.  Good vids on YouTube how to repair.  Did ours in the campground. 

mikeponiatowski

• View Profile
  • Model: 2100
  • IntColor: Cherry/Brown/Beige
  • ExtColor: White/Green
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2021, 05:29:36 pm »
Fridge is Norcold.

Thanks for all the advice.  I will just keep doing what I have been doing with good maintenance.

CalCruiser

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: November 2015
  • ModelYear: 2003
  • IntColor: Hickory/ Beige
  • ExtColor: custom dark shadow grey & blue jeans metallic stripes
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2021, 05:36:02 pm »
The old made in USA stuff was built to last. Just do the simple preventative maintenance and  enjoy.  When the refrigerator wears out upgrade to a compressor type, and when the air conditioner wears out upgrade to the  quieter Houghton brand.
Goin' where the wind goes...

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2021, 06:40:37 pm »
As for the fridge..norcold?  Donít overload the door with lots of heavy stuff.  At the recent rally, the bottom hinge on ours just broke clean off. Plastic.  Good vids on YouTube how to repair.  Did ours in the campground.
Oh yes, the infamous "fridge door hinge breakage" threat.  I forgot about that.

Back in the day, I read about fridge door hinges breaking.  Like Tarnold says, it has a lot to do with the weight placed in the door shelves.  Reinforcement brackets were available so I bought two pairs for both fridge and freezer doors.

I always wondered if there is potential for failure from allowing your fridge door to swing around to the point of binding, over-stressing the hinges.  Fortunately for us with our no-slide 2350, neither door can do that because the fridge door hits the bed, and the freezer door hits the closet before binding occurs.

Here are the hinge reinforcements.

Here they are installed.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2021, 06:51:26 pm by Ron Dittmer »
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer