• PurchDate: 03/29/2100
  • Model: 3100
  • ModelYear: 2011
  • Slide: Yes
  • IntColor: Cherry
  • ExtColor: Brown/Black/Tan full body paint
HWH Jacks
« on: October 14, 2021, 12:47:52 pm »
I am in need of 2 HTH jacks for my 2011 PC 300S.  I am preparing to sell and don't want to sell with any known problems. My mechanic called and said he can not find them anywhere and HTH said there are none available and they did not know when they would be.  I asked him to check salvage yards.  I have a call in to PC and hopefully they will call me back for assistance.  Thanks for any help you can give me.
Ron Brown

2 Frazzled

• View Profile
    • Spirit of the Woods
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: May 2013
  • Model: 2552
  • ModelYear: 2013
  • IntColor: Sunlit & Cherry
  • ExtColor: Sunlit
Re: HWH Jacks
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2021, 08:30:35 pm »
If you can't find them, go with truth in advertising. Someone may be happy to buy the unit knowing the jacks are bad. They might be able to do the repair themselves or they can wait until supplies are back in stock to repair them OR they may not care if they have jacks. Price accordingly. I once sold a car that wouldn't start in the rain. I was honest about it. The construction worker that bought it didn't care. He doesn't work when it rains. The car was perfect for him.
John, Holly, and sometimes Chloe.
Travel Blog: Spiritofthewoods.net

TheLuvShack

• View Profile
  • NewUsed: Used
  • PurchDate: October 2016
  • ModelYear: 2012
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2021, 07:54:24 am »
Try Stuart's Service in Elkhart, IN
http://www.rvleveling.com/

Long way from your location but might be helpful.

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2021, 09:05:16 am »
If you can't find them, go with truth in advertising. Someone may be happy to buy the unit knowing the jacks are bad. They might be able to do the repair themselves or they can wait until supplies are back in stock to repair them OR they may not care if they have jacks. Price accordingly. I once sold a car that wouldn't start in the rain. I was honest about it. The construction worker that bought it didn't care. He doesn't work when it rains. The car was perfect for him.
I agree, but if you need to get the rig's true market value, that is achievable through everything working right as well as looking it's best.
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

rbrown0248

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 03/29/2100
  • ModelYear: 2011
  • IntColor: Cherry
  • ExtColor: Brown/Black/Tan full body paint
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2021, 11:57:03 am »
I am going to get a second opinion.  I'm hoping they can be repaired rather than replaced. The right rear jack is leaking fluid and the left front won't come down.  I've checked with several salvage yards to no avail.  I called Stuart's today and they are closed.  The rig is in top notch condition with the exception of the jacks.  I've spent $8500 since April in upgrades and improvements.  Don't want to sell, cut can't travel anymore.

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2021, 02:33:11 pm »
I strongly agree with looking into repairing what you have instead of assuming they need to be replaced.

I don't have such levelers so my thoughts are fleeting ones.  But I have read of other people stating the levelers need regular cleaning and lubrication.  If you could extend them fully down somehow (with encouragement), clean the exposed tubes with mineral spirits or kerosene.  If they don't feel smooth as silk, then follow up with 0000 steel wool to make them smooth.  Then clean again to remove the impurities you introduced with the steel wool, followed with a thin lubricant.  WD40 comes to mind but I am sure there are better products.

I imagine a working but leaking unit is repairable.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2021, 02:37:19 pm by Ron Dittmer »
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

CalCruiser

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: November 2015
  • ModelYear: 2003
  • IntColor: Hickory/ Beige
  • ExtColor: custom dark shadow grey & blue jeans metallic stripes
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2021, 11:52:39 pm »
Find a hydraulic equipment repair shop that rebuilds things like heavy construction and farm equipment and aircraft landing gear. Everything is rebuildable if they can match the seals and o rings with the same material and durometer. Since you wonít be needing it the cost will determine whether or not thatís  worthwhile. The throw away economy was fun while it lasted, but at this rate in the near future it will be either like Mad Max or Cuba.
Goin' where the wind goes...

2 Frazzled

• View Profile
    • Spirit of the Woods
  • PurchDate: May 2013
  • Model: 2552
  • ModelYear: 2013
  • IntColor: Sunlit & Cherry
  • ExtColor: Sunlit
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2021, 06:33:56 am »
I can't remember exactly how it worked but we had a jack repaired at the factory. There were cables on each side of the joint on the jack similar to tendons along your knee. One snapped. The factory replaced the cable and all was well. Doug said we could have swung the jack down by hand before using the hydraulic system to extend them. Try pulling down your jack and look for the cables. If one is broken it's supposedly an easy fix (by someone with repair skills).
John, Holly, and sometimes Chloe.
Travel Blog: Spiritofthewoods.net

palaback

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 10/21
  • Model: 2351
  • ModelYear: 2021
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2021, 01:40:53 pm »
We got a new PC which had one bad jack. We were told that they have to be manufactured. So PC is building another one for us. So if you cannot find a local machinist you might want to contact PC and see if they can make another one.