• PurchDate: Aug, 2019
  • Model: 2552
  • ModelYear: 2017
  • Slide: Yes
  • IntColor: Hickory
  • ExtColor: Toast
Stop Using Wire Nuts! Use Wago Lever Nuts
« on: October 12, 2021, 04:44:14 pm »
I was changing out one of the red rear round upper LED lights and when I pulled it out it had wire nuts on it. I know this is the standard for connections in the industry.  The factory had twisted them on and tapped them to help prevent them from coming loose. Well  mine were loose the electrical tapes glue had let go and allowed the tape to hang from the wire nut. Not sure if this added to the wire nut loosening or not.

I have heard people describe an RV as always being in a a stressful environment driving down the road at 65 to 70 miles and hour, hitting potholes etc. In the commercial marine industry they are getting away from wire nuts as they are not considered a positive locking device to connect wires. Ships also see some of the same stress as an RV just out in the ocean.

So my long winded point is, check out Wago Lever nuts.  I have been using them religiously for the last 10 years and never had an issue.  They offer positive locking, reusable, have a test port for a meter, UL approved. The original model: 24-12 AWG, and 10 AWG model: 20-10 AWG (30 amp max). you can get them with 2 ports, 3 ports and 5 ports.  You can use them on AC and DC circuits, stranded or solid core wire (or both).  I use them in my house for installing  lighting, ceiling fans etc.  The newer series is the 221 lever nuts. If you are curious and want a free sample here is the web address to get a couple mailed to you from Wago. https://www.wago.com/us/lp-221. They may cost more than a wire nut but they are so much better its worth the up grade.

Very Respectfully
Lance
« Last Edit: October 12, 2021, 04:55:29 pm by Engineerlt »

jim.godfrey

• View Profile
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: October 2019
  • ModelYear: 2020
  • IntColor: Desert Sand
  • ExtColor: Nightscape w/ Burgundy
Re: Stop Using Wire Nuts! Use Wago Lever Nuts
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2021, 06:05:12 pm »
H Lance: have used some of the older versions of these without issue.
Just took a look at their web site and noticed they showed them mounted in all their videos.
Either on a DIN rail of secured to a surface.
Wonder if that is necessary for them to be effective.?

WillLloyd

• View Profile
  • NewUsed: Used
  • PurchDate: Feb/2017
  • Model: 2910
  • ModelYear: 2016
  • IntColor: Pebble
  • ExtColor: Grey
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2021, 06:55:50 pm »
I canít believe they use wire nuts in an RV. The Wagoís are neat. I think Iíll stay with my heat shrink style crimp on connectors

Engineerlt

• A Little Project
    • View Profile
  • NewUsed: Used
  • PurchDate: Aug, 2019
  • ModelYear: 2017
  • IntColor: Hickory
  • ExtColor: Toast
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2021, 09:38:13 pm »
Hey Jim
No they can be mounted to a matching rail or just stuffed into a junction box, or in a low voltage application like the 12V low voltage lights just placed out of the way. I use them without a rail, and that is how we used them on my last ship.

Very Respectfully
Lance