• Model: 3100
  • ModelYear: 2021
  • Slide: Yes
  • IntColor: Hickory
  • ExtColor: Custom Grey
AC Noise - my chief complaint
« on: October 10, 2021, 08:18:42 am »
I love my 2021 3100. 

My chief complaint is the loud noise of the roof air systems.  I would highly recommend that PC look into ways or systems to reduce this noise.  Different types of units?  Ducted systems?

Curious to know thoughts of others on this. 

Thanks and happy travels. 

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
Re: AC Noise - my chief complaint
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2021, 02:12:43 pm »
Hi Phil,

This topic comes up often.

Some PC owners ordered their PC with other brands of a/c units.  Other owners changed out their original a/c units for less noisy ones.  One thing I have gathered is that there is no silver bullet solution because there seems to be trade-offs of sorts to consider.  So do your homework before spending money on a change.

One thing certain, our original 2007 Dometic Penguin a/c unit has always been dang noisy.  We've never considered changing it because we most often camp during the time of year when "heat" is less of an issue.  Our unit has the optional heat strip which works well but is naturally located up high.  We like the heat on the floor so we use a tiny 110V-1000w heater placed on the floor in front of the biggest source of cold air, the cab area.  The tiny floor heater is also whisper quiet.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2021, 02:27:52 pm by Ron Dittmer »
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

donc13

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 03/2015
  • Model: 2551
  • ModelYear: 2015
  • IntColor: Nightscape/Hickory
  • ExtColor: White/Nightscape
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2021, 08:38:54 pm »
I love my 2021 3100. 

My chief complaint is the loud noise of the roof air systems.  I would highly recommend that PC look into ways or systems to reduce this noise.  Different types of units?  Ducted systems?

Curious to know thoughts of others on this. 

Thanks and happy travels. 

Several folks have switched for a Houghton 13,500 unit, it's about a $4000 cost for the unit and labor.   You will have to get your furnace rewired too, as the all in one thermostat for heater and a/c runs thru the Dometic a/c to operate the furnace

---
Don and Patti

Engineerlt

• A Little Project
    • View Profile
  • NewUsed: Used
  • PurchDate: Aug, 2019
  • Model: 2552
  • ModelYear: 2017
  • ExtColor: Toast
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2021, 08:16:22 am »
Hello Phil
Don't let Donc13 scare you off, the price of the Houghton A/C's has dropped and became available through RecPro.com as Jim Godfrey pointed out in a post previous to this one (Any issue running Houghton AC while driving?). The install is very easy, actually the mounting of the Houghton A/C's in my opinion is much more robust and offers a better seal to the roof than the Dometic units.

Donc13 mentions that the thermostat for the heater needs to be rewired that is correct, but it is a very easy process if you just replace the Dometic thermostat with a standard mechanical one. The Houghton A/C units are self contained and don't require a external thermostat to operate and also come with a remote control.

My PC has 2 of them one was installed by Advanced RV and the other by me. Advanced RV had installed a control box that allowed the heater to use the original Dometic thermostat to operate just the heater. I removed this  control box because Advanced RV installed it inside of the Houghton A/C blocking the air flow from the forward vents. So I just installed a mechanical thermostat for the heater for $15 and it works excellent plus it makes troubleshooting very simple for the heater. I used a drywall lift to get my A/C up to the roof, and installed it in the vent opening just forward of the bathroom. The first Houghton A/C is installed where the original Dometic was.

I just looked at the price for the Houghton 13.5K heat pump A/C from RecPro and they are selling it for $1449.95. or the straight cool for $1049.95. These A/C's are quiet, nothing like the loud wind tunnel of the Dometic units. Plus these A/C's will fit the same opening with no modification as the Dometic unit. FYI my Houghton A/C's are straight cool and cost $2500 without installation when they were purchased. So Donc13's $4000.00 price would be correct if you let Advanced RV do your install. I however would say that the hardest part is just getting the A/C on the roof, Houghton has made these A/C's extremely easy to install and if you have the ability to get the old one down and new one up on your roof your good to go.

Here are a couple pictures of my A/C's on the roof and how the second A/C operates as I don't have a 50amp service.  If you have any questions or want some more pictures feel free to just ask. I believe that the upgrade to these Houghton A/C's is well worth the time and money.

Very Respectfully
Lance

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2021, 09:36:46 am »
Our older 2007 model Dometic has nothing available, but the later design has an aftermarket kit available that modifies the ceiling portion to quiet down the fan noise.  Reviews say it's a lot better but not yet ideal.
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

KEB

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: March 2021
  • Model: 2910
  • ModelYear: 2019 2910T
  • IntColor: Nightscape - Hickory
  • ExtColor: Nightscape-black/grey
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2021, 01:14:50 pm »
I second Lance's reply.

The Houghton units from Recpro are very, very quiet. I just had Campers Inn install a 2nd Houghton 13.5k heat pump on my 2910T, as pictured in the post mentioned in (Any issue running Houghton AC while driving?). The CI bill for purchase and install, including painting the unit to match my coach and the minimal rewiring for the thermostat, was $2400. I provided the Honeywell furnace thermostat (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H6ARNXO/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1).

Kevin

Phil Grennan

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 04/2021
  • Model: 3100
  • ModelYear: 2021
  • ExtColor: Custom Grey
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2021, 08:44:15 am »
Thanks. 

Curious - why do you have two shore power connections?

Hello Phil
Don't let Donc13 scare you off, the price of the Houghton A/C's has dropped and became available through RecPro.com as Jim Godfrey pointed out in a post previous to this one (Any issue running Houghton AC while driving?). The install is very easy, actually the mounting of the Houghton A/C's in my opinion is much more robust and offers a better seal to the roof than the Dometic units.

Donc13 mentions that the thermostat for the heater needs to be rewired that is correct, but it is a very easy process if you just replace the Dometic thermostat with a standard mechanical one. The Houghton A/C units are self contained and don't require a external thermostat to operate and also come with a remote control.

My PC has 2 of them one was installed by Advanced RV and the other by me. Advanced RV had installed a control box that allowed the heater to use the original Dometic thermostat to operate just the heater. I removed this  control box because Advanced RV installed it inside of the Houghton A/C blocking the air flow from the forward vents. So I just installed a mechanical thermostat for the heater for $15 and it works excellent plus it makes troubleshooting very simple for the heater. I used a drywall lift to get my A/C up to the roof, and installed it in the vent opening just forward of the bathroom. The first Houghton A/C is installed where the original Dometic was.

I just looked at the price for the Houghton 13.5K heat pump A/C from RecPro and they are selling it for $1449.95. or the straight cool for $1049.95. These A/C's are quiet, nothing like the loud wind tunnel of the Dometic units. Plus these A/C's will fit the same opening with no modification as the Dometic unit. FYI my Houghton A/C's are straight cool and cost $2500 without installation when they were purchased. So Donc13's $4000.00 price would be correct if you let Advanced RV do your install. I however would say that the hardest part is just getting the A/C on the roof, Houghton has made these A/C's extremely easy to install and if you have the ability to get the old one down and new one up on your roof your good to go.

Here are a couple pictures of my A/C's on the roof and how the second A/C operates as I don't have a 50amp service.  If you have any questions or want some more pictures feel free to just ask. I believe that the upgrade to these Houghton A/C's is well worth the time and money.

Very Respectfully
Lance

donc13

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 03/2015
  • Model: 2551
  • ModelYear: 2015
  • IntColor: Nightscape/Hickory
  • ExtColor: White/Nightscape
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2021, 11:43:51 am »
I am going to *guess* at Lance's reply... Curious to see if I am right.

Because he added the 2nd air conditioner and needed a way to power it.  And we're I to guess, that 2nd shore power line only goes to the 2nd a/c so has a household 20amp plug at the pedestal.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2021, 11:47:12 am by donc13 »
---
Don and Patti

Engineerlt

• A Little Project
    • View Profile
  • NewUsed: Used
  • PurchDate: Aug, 2019
  • Model: 2552
  • ModelYear: 2017
  • ExtColor: Toast
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2021, 04:12:05 pm »
Donc13 you are absolutely correct, I use the second shore power connection to power the second A/C and an additional outlet that I added to the same circuit. I installed a 20 amp circuit breaker in the coach after the shower power plug and ran the wire to a 20 amp receptacle and the 2nd A/C....  It is nice having the extra independent outlet from the coaches 30 amp factory set-up.