• PurchDate: 6/10/20
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2008
  • Slide: Yes
  • IntColor: Slate Grey
  • ExtColor: Slate Grey
Rear Hub Liners-Reminder
« on: September 01, 2021, 01:37:34 pm »
We were coming back from Williams Az heading towards home (Pahrump Nv) and ran over the road vibration things on the shoulder.  Glanced in my outside drivers mirror and see a Hub liner zooming across the highway.  Ya, it was mine off the passenger side rear.   Finally found an off ramp to pull over (towing my Toyota tacoma).  Liner gone.  Inner tire FLAT.  Limped another 45 miles into Kingman Discount tire.  I had valve extenders on.  It snapped the end of the valve stem at the rim.  Anyway, they removed the tire from the rim.  The inside was starting to separate and little particles of tire roaming around on the inside. 
4 new tires installed as my Michelins were 6 yrs old. 
Advice:   Check hub liners to make sure they are on tight. 

BTW, I am trying to convince the wife that I need new rims so my hub cap/liner problem will disappear. 

Free2RV

• Gary and Susie
    • View Profile
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: P.U. 6/11/18
  • Model: 3100
  • ModelYear: 2018
  • IntColor: Nightscape (Cherry)
  • ExtColor: Graystone (FBP)
Re: Rear Hub Liners-Reminder
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2021, 01:54:49 pm »
Glad to hear you didn't sustain any more damage than a lost wheel liner.  As soon as we got our PC home from the factory we installed Alcoa Polished aluminum rims on it to get rid of the wheel liners. 
Gary

Bangorbob

• View Profile
  • NewUsed: Used
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2021, 08:41:26 pm »
Thanks.  That's all I could think of is the damage a shredded tire can do.  Thankfully it just went flat.  4 new tires and we're happy. 

mikeh

• View Profile
  • NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: 02/2019
  • Model: 2552
  • ModelYear: 2019
  • IntColor: Toast
  • ExtColor: Toast
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2021, 09:45:13 pm »
;
Glad to hear you didn't sustain any more damage than a lost wheel liner.  As soon as we got our PC home from the factory we installed Alcoa Polished aluminum rims on it to get rid of the wheel liners. 
Gary

I swear, I might have to follow suit!  I lost my first clip-on front wheel cover immediately after delivery of my new 2552, on my way home from the factory in February 2019.  Didn't see it leave, but it wasn't there when I got home---Phoenix sent me another.  Then I lost my second clip-on front on my second major trip later that year--didn't see it leave either.

I learn quickly, so decided to fix the problem permanently.  Ordered a set of the bolt-on covers from the Phoenix USA Company and installed them with the confidence that the bolt-ons would solve the problem once and for all.  Maybe-----but on my current trip I just found that one of the two nuts fastening my RR wheel cover is missing!  There weren't torque spec's for the two outer nuts from Phoenix, so I installed them as tight as I thought they could stand and I don't know why the nut came off.  Cover seems secure with the remaining nut; I'll be home tomorrow; and I have replacement nuts ordered--but only time will tell whether this approach will satisfactorily solve that problem.

Mike

Joseph

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 3/7/2015
  • ModelYear: 2011
  • IntColor: Tan/Cherry
  • ExtColor: Gray / White
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2021, 09:20:36 am »
Iíve seen a couple of rigs now that the owner has painted the rims, added lug covers and beauty rings.  Looked good and probably done for this reason.  Iím thinking Iíll go this route. Long as it looks decent standing still it will look awesome at speed, being you canít see wheel covers, fancy rims etc at speed anyway.

Itís on my to do list right after replacing the water pump, gen starter, macerator, house batteries and all 4 shocks. Iím forgetting something Iím sure but itíll come to me sooner or later
« Last Edit: September 02, 2021, 09:23:15 am by Joseph »

Bangorbob

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2021, 09:23:50 am »
Interesting that my front hub caps are bolt on.  Why in heck they didn't do that to the rear in beyond me.  I am thinking about painting my rims. 

DKCruzser

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: September 2018
  • Model: 2910
  • ModelYear: 2017
  • IntColor: toast
  • ExtColor: toast
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2021, 09:49:51 am »
We also lost our liners (simulator) while traveling from Sedona to I 40 headed to Williams.  The roads in Az are horrible.....   Right after that we purchased the bolt on liners (simulators).  We were fortunate that when our liner did come off no tire damage.

dave

Joseph

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 3/7/2015
  • ModelYear: 2011
  • IntColor: Tan/Cherry
  • ExtColor: Gray / White
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2021, 02:32:40 pm »
Dave, I have yet to find a state that didnít have some crap roads. I hit one in Texas a couple years ago that ruined a ball joint. After getting thru the area we saw a report by the sheriffs dept marking the route as dangerous.  All in all though Iíve hit some really bad roads in every state.

Engineerlt

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2021, 03:11:44 pm »
I like the wheel simulators, Aluminum rims are nice but they have drawbacks as well. Price being one, also they don't survive and impact very well.  As for being maintenance free when it comes to cleaning that only lasts so long, oxidation starts on aluminum no mater the coating eventually.  These stainless simulators look pretty good and if you convert your clip on simulators to bolt on you won't have to worry about watching them rollaway on the road. 

Here is a link to how I converted mine to bolt on.  Pretty easy and not very expensive.
https://forum.phoenixusarv.com/index.php?topic=3994.msg34696#msg34696

I also made tool storage for all the tire tools under the spare tire cover. I carry a plugging kit as well, my air compressor is a Viair 450H mounted under the coach to a frame rail with three quick connect fittings to fill all the coach tires and one at the rear to fill the toad.