• OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: Used
  • PurchDate: September 2013
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2013
  • Slide: Yes
Draining the fresh water system
« on: August 17, 2021, 06:03:02 pm »
I am always amazed at how long it takes to drain our water system in the PC.

First, I open all three drain valves then I open all the valves to the sinks.   The lines and HW heater drain fine, but the fresh water tank (specs show 38 gallons) just continues to drain.   It takes well over an hour for that tank to drain.  I can turn on the pump and accelerate the process but it still takes a very long time and I simply don't want to run the pump for a long, non-intermittent period of time (although I know they are designed to do so, but unless plugged in, running the generator or engine it uses a lot of juice from the batteries). 

Is this a quirk of all PCs or is mine just experiencing a blockage somewhere or pulling a vacuum?   I have also tried to accelerate the process by opening the cap on the FW tank, but that adds zero to the size of the discharge stream size.   After eight years of trouble free ownership (next month) this is not a big problem but more of a curiosity. 

How long does it take you to drain your FW tank in your PC?

Paul 
« Last Edit: August 17, 2021, 07:40:59 pm by Doneworking »

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
Re: Draining the fresh water system
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2021, 09:16:07 pm »
If my 35 gallon tank is full, it can take a while.  I never timed it but I would guess 1/2 hour if the valve is fully open.

It seems you have a partial blockage.
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

Free2RV

• Gary and Susie
    • View Profile
  • PurchDate: P.U. 6/11/18
  • Model: 3100
  • ModelYear: 2018
  • IntColor: Nightscape (Cherry)
  • ExtColor: Graystone (FBP)
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2021, 05:48:44 am »
Paul,
I don't think there is a fast way to drain the fresh water tank aside from running the water pump.  Don't be concerned about running the pump for an extended period of time, it definitely won't hurt it.  We use RV pumps in our maple syrup operation to generate vacuum on sap lines located in remote parts of woods and run them continuously for a minimum of 8 to 10+ hours each day and it doesn't affect their performance.  They are powered by 12 volt deep cycle batteries which we recharge each evening.  We have been using the same 4 pumps for the past 6 years and our syrup season generally lasts a minimum of 4 weeks.
Turn on that pump and let it run, it is easier on it to run continuously than to have it start and stop when you are using FW from your FW tank.
Gary

Doneworking

• View Profile
  • NewUsed: Used
  • PurchDate: September 2013
  • ModelYear: 2013
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2021, 08:23:09 am »
Turn on that pump and let it run, it is easier on it to run continuously than to have it start and stop when you are using FW from your FW tank.
Gary

You are absolutely right, Gary.   That is very interesting how you are using them when you sugar.  I guess I'll just start running the pump  and not spend an hour and a half waiting on the drips.   Our old Roadtrek Class B could drain its 30 gallon tank in less than fifteen minutes and drain the lines as well with one valve.   

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2021, 08:24:19 am »
Gary,

You make interesting use of RV water pumps for your maple syrup operation.

About your comment concerning on/off cycles of the water pump.  Are your pumps running all the time at full pumping capability, or do they run dry at times?

In our 2007 PC, the following year 2008 I installed a 2 gallon water accumulator tank with a bladder, a tiny version of one used in homes with a private well.  It was one of my better improvements.  The pump runs at reasonable intervals and runs very quietly.  The tank is adjacent to the pump and so it absorbs all the vibration.

If I installed one today, I would go with the 2 gallon stainless steel version sold by Shurflo to get all the nice mounting features.  They are a lot more money but seemingly worth it.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2021, 08:31:10 am by Ron Dittmer »
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

Engineerlt

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2021, 08:37:06 am »
There is another thread titled Fresh Water Drain back towards the end of 2019 that that Jim Godfrey started goes over slow draining water tank.  I found mine to be blocked and added some pictures and how I got the draining down to about 5 minutes. No need to run the fresh water pump just clean out the plastic millings that were left in the water tank ( at least that was my issues) that made its way to the drain valve, replaced the drain valve with a CPVC fully ported valve. It was quick and inexpensive now I am not waiting for and hour to drain the potable water tank.

I also believe there is another post where someone went back under warranty and the factory cut a hole in the water tank and installed an access.  Not the preferred method but it cleaned out all the plastic millings.

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2021, 09:04:54 am »
There is another thread titled Fresh Water Drain back towards the end of 2019 that that Jim Godfrey started goes over slow draining water tank.  I found mine to be blocked and added some pictures and how I got the draining down to about 5 minutes.
Click on the link and go to the middle of the second page for EngineerIt's modification for fast draining.
https://forum.phoenixusarv.com/index.php?topic=3856.15

Nice modification you made there!

In our 2007 2350, I just changed my two fresh water drain valves from the old fashion many-turn screw-down, to 1/4 turn ball valves that are less restrictive though not as free-flowing as you installed.  When I was done, I noticed some tiny white crumbles on the garage floor where the drained water hits.  I assume that is white plastic tank debris created when drilling the holes in the tank back in 2007.  It makes me wonder where else did crumbles accumulate.  I have 3 valves like you replaced, used for the hot water bypass.  Water throughout our PC has always flowed well so I won't loose any sleep over this.

Here is our tank drain valve, very cheap but it does offer a lot of "flow" when adjusted right and it has never leaked....not yet anyway.  As flimsy as it is, I can't complain.  I do appreciate it's "ease of access".

« Last Edit: August 18, 2021, 10:07:56 am by Ron Dittmer »
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

Free2RV

• Gary and Susie
    • View Profile
  • PurchDate: P.U. 6/11/18
  • Model: 3100
  • ModelYear: 2018
  • IntColor: Nightscape (Cherry)
  • ExtColor: Graystone (FBP)
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2021, 02:54:19 pm »
Ron,

About your comment concerning on/off cycles of the water pump.  Are your pumps running all the time at full pumping capability, or do they run dry at times?

Our RV pumps used on our sap lines occasionally run dry early in the morning when the sap is still frozen.  It does NOT hurt an RV pump to run dry.  When sap begins to flow the pumps will generate up to 25" of vacuum if the system is tight (no leaks, thanks to squirrels, etc.).
Gary

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2021, 07:23:25 am »
Ron,

Our RV pumps used on our sap lines occasionally run dry early in the morning when the sap is still frozen.  It does NOT hurt an RV pump to run dry.  When sap begins to flow the pumps will generate up to 25" of vacuum if the system is tight (no leaks, thanks to squirrels, etc.).
Gary
Very interesting Gary.  It is good to know the pump holds up well to running dry.

Our pump never runs dry because it always receives enough gravity-fed water directly from the fresh water tank.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2021, 07:33:51 am by Ron Dittmer »
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer