• PurchDate: 3/7/2015
  • Model: 2552
  • ModelYear: 2011
  • Slide: Yes
  • IntColor: Tan/Cherry
  • ExtColor: Gray / White
Water leak and then some
« on: August 04, 2021, 05:56:14 am »
2011Ö.2552Ö..Presently in Bangor Maine. Weíve developed a water leak that has the floor soaked aft of the water tank. The tank isnít leaking (full) I canít feel any wetness under  any of the hose or connections. Water pressure at the park is dismal low. I havenít narrowed it down quite yet but it appears to only be leaking when weíre connected to city water. I pulled the connection at the hose connection outside and itís tight as well. No leak at the or from the pump as well.

Does anyone know off hand the route of the water line from the city connection? Any ideas on what I may be missing in my search?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2021, 04:43:15 pm by Joseph »

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
Re: Water leak
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2021, 06:54:38 am »
Remove the bottom cabinet drawers to the right of the HWT and inspect the plywood under your 3 valves.  If it is wet, find out which valve is leaking and tighten the hex behind the handle.  1/16 to 1/8 of a turn should do it.

If the plywood floor is dry, then the leak is elsewhere.  Make sure your sink drain and trap are tight.  The leak might also originate on the HWT itself, either at the inlet, outlet, or the 110V heating element.

I lean most toward things that can become loose from driving vibrations which is the drainage system.

Also, make sure your kitchen faucet isn't leaking up top under the handle when the water is flowing, getting on the countertop, then finding it's way down to the floor.  Our faucet leaked from a build-up of hard water deposits, repaired easily.  CLICK HERE for the repair process.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2021, 07:00:25 am by Ron Dittmer »
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

Joseph

• View Profile
  • NewUsed: Used
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2021, 08:05:51 am »
Ron, my leak is to the reset of the motorhome. If your facing the pass side bed. The tank is under the bed.  To the right of the tank is the pump, then the wall to the closet and bath. The leak at that end.  The flit is only wet from the tank to the rear.  I can see but assume under /behind the wall that goes to the closet.  Front gal ., water heater Mitch sink area etc is all dry

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2021, 08:18:59 am »
Ah, "fresh water tank", NOT the "hot water tank".   :-[
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

Joseph

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2021, 08:20:54 am »
Ok another question for the masters.  There has to be a check valve on the city supply side. Anyone know on a older 2552 where this might be located? Thereís no leak when on pc pump pressure, only when on city supply so Iím wondering if this check valve might be the culprit?

Joseph

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2021, 08:22:38 am »
Ron, yes, sorry , its near the fresh water tank but the tank itself or surrounding pipes and fittings are not the culprit

Joseph

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2021, 08:38:09 am »
The joys of motorhome ownership.   Part of the adventure, just not a fun part

Volkemon

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: October 31, 2017
  • ModelYear: 2006
  • IntColor: Light Maple
  • ExtColor: White
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2021, 09:04:52 am »
Ok another question for the masters.  There has to be a check valve on the city supply side. Anyone know on a older 2552 where this might be located? Thereís no leak when on pc pump pressure, only when on city supply so Iím wondering if this check valve might be the culprit?

Sorry to be worthless in older 2552 knowledge. But you did state that the park pressure is low, and this only happens on the city water hookup. You may be right on with the check valve being part of the problem, maybe the low water pressure isnt enough to fully seat it, giving it a leak-by condition that manifests itself...somewhere? 

Almost thinking its not on the pressurized side, as when you pressure it with the pump it stops... do you have pump on AND city water on and the leak stops?

You stated tank was full, is it possible that the tank is over full and draining somewhere else? Again, I am ignorant of a 2011 spec, but in my 2006 the overflow from the tank is next to the tank water fill outside, and would be flowing out there.

Couple guesses. Prayers to St Anthony are with you for a diagnosis.  :)(:

""You want to save money on travel, drive a Prius and stay at motel 6""  Forum Member Joseph

WORD.

Joseph

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2021, 05:44:26 pm »
Volk.  The tank overflow etc is all fine. I think but have yet to verify that check valve , where it is located may be the culprit. It not seating however doesnít explain it leaking unless itís vented somehow. Tomorrow we leave for Portland Maine. Iím hoping the next campground has good water pressure to test your theory and my guess.

At least when I work off the tank alone I gave no issues so I can always complete the trip that way. Just a bit of a pain with the slow gravity fill is all. 

Thanks all for the feedback.   If anyone comes up with any guessesÖ. Scream

donc13

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 03/2015
  • Model: 2551
  • ModelYear: 2015
  • IntColor: Nightscape/Hickory
  • ExtColor: White/Nightscape
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2021, 08:06:43 pm »

The check valve is in the water pump.  It's part of the pump itself, not an add on

My *guess* is a leak on the output connector from the pump.  The constant pressure from the city water line keeps the leak running whereas when you run the pump, there's only real pressure when you have the pump running.  In particular, check the output hose connection from the water pump.

Don't know how handy you are, but that's the first thing I would very carefully check out and/or replace to be sure.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2021, 08:18:17 pm by donc13 »
---
Don and Patti

donc13

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2021, 08:12:16 pm »
Volk.  The tank overflow etc is all fine. I think but have yet to verify that check valve , where it is located may be the culprit. It not seating however doesnít explain it leaking unless itís vented somehow. Tomorrow we leave for Portland Maine. Iím hoping the next campground has good water pressure to test your theory and my guess.

At least when I work off the tank alone I gave no issues so I can always complete the trip that way. Just a bit of a pain with the slow gravity fill is all. 

Thanks all for the feedback.   If anyone comes up with any guessesÖ. Scream

What gravity fill?  On the passenger side?  Run a hose into it.

https://www.campingworld.com/secure-fill-117769.html
---
Don and Patti

Joseph

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2021, 07:01:20 am »
Don on 2011 itís a very slow gravity fill. Trying to fill fast just has it forced back on you.
 I wasnít aware the check valve was built into the pump. Thatís a problem then because the pump isnít leaking. The pump itself and all the connections are dry. Iíll keep searching

tswhitewater

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: April 2018
  • ModelYear: 2018
  • IntColor: desert sand/cherry
  • ExtColor: toast
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2021, 08:31:18 am »
I had this problem,  in my case  2 of the thumb tightening nuts located behind the 3 way valve where loose.  Water  was running in the channel aft and the across the back and presenting near the toilet - this only occurred when hooked up to city water.  There is an access panel under the driver side bed about 2/3's of the way back. it's an easy fix, I had to secure the pipes to keep them from vibrating and working the nuts loose.  hope this helps!!

donc13

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2021, 01:23:16 pm »
Joseph,

On my 2015 2551 (just a short version of the 2552) it came with a 4-way valve at the city water inlet (on the driver's side).  Is that what's on your city water inlet?  Or is it just a single hose connection with no valve selector?

Back when they used just the single hose connector and no selector, the city water inlet connected to a cold water line at some point AFTER the water pump.   Thus, the check valve in the pump would block water from the city hookup flowing backwards into the fresh water storage tank and over filling it.

Typically, if the fresh water tank over filled, the vent hose in the fresh water tank would vent water (instead of air) to the gravity fill section on the passenger side and you'd get water dripping (or flowing) down the passenger side on the fiberglass.   

If that overflow line had a leak, or bad connection to the fresh water tank, the leak could also, or only, be inside on the right rear (as viewed from inside the coach) of the water tank.

With "dismally low pressure" as mentioned by Volkemon, that check valve may not be seated properly and could allow some water to backflow, fill the tank and leak out the vent hose.

If that's not what's happening, then it sounds like you have a leak in the water line from the pump back into the bathroom toilet, sink and shower.

And that won't be easy to find or repair.
---
Don and Patti

CalCruiser

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: November 2015
  • ModelYear: 2003
  • IntColor: Hickory/ Beige
  • ExtColor: custom dark shadow grey & blue jeans metallic stripes
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2021, 05:06:01 pm »
Are you saying that the water flow from the hose bib is low, or the pressure inside the coach is low (posssibly because of a major  leak)? if  you always use a pressure regulator on the city water hose maybe remove it to  test the open  check valve theory.

If you have access to a tire inflator and winterizing blow-out cap try pressurizing the system with air at the city water inlet then listen  for leaks and watch for bubbles in the fresh water tank.

If it really is a city water only problem that you canít solve on the road pick up a hands-free filler to help with the slow gravity fill. Good luck!
https://www.campingworld.com/water-tank-filler-with-shut-off-valve-4674.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=ppc&utm_campaign=%7BCampaign%7D&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIyfKdqfCa8gIVNRatBh2qnQIOEAQYAiABEgJVLPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
« Last Edit: August 06, 2021, 01:33:57 am by CalCruiser »
Goin' where the wind goes...