• PurchDate: May 2013
  • Model: 2552
  • ModelYear: 2013
  • Slide: Yes
  • IntColor: Sunlit & Cherry
  • ExtColor: Sunlit
Bathroom stink
« on: June 18, 2021, 08:29:12 am »
We started to get an eye watering stink in the bathroom that wasn't gifted by us. It seemed to be coming from the cabinet under the sink. John took apart the sink drain trap and cleaned it but the stink persisted. I tried to pull apart the vent pipe under there but couldn't get it.

A Google search showed that vent is called a "cheater" vent, used when you can't tie into an outside/roof vent. The proper plumbing term is "air admittance valve". The purpose of the vent is to allow air to enter the system as water drains thereby avoiding a vacuum. The pull of that draining water opens the valve, lets in air, then a spring or diaphragm device closes it again so sewer gas doesn't roll in and stink up the house.

I put a plastic bag over the vent and twist tied the bottom to see if that was the cause. YES! No more stink. This likely means the vent is stuck open.

Further internet searching says to spray lubricant into the hole on the top of the vent to loosen the stuck spring. That's my next move, once I figure out how to get the spray into that tight space. If that doesn't work, we have to replace the valve (or live with the plastic bag and potential sink gurgling.).
« Last Edit: June 19, 2021, 06:47:06 am by 2 Frazzled »
John, Holly, and sometimes Chloe.
Travel Blog: Spiritofthewoods.net

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
Re: Bathroom stink
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2021, 09:42:46 am »
Excellent report!

I wonder which PC models have that vent check valve, and where it is used....maybe in different places pending the need of each particular model.
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

2 Frazzled

• View Profile
    • Spirit of the Woods
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: May 2013
  • Model: 2552
  • ModelYear: 2013
  • Slide: Yes
  • IntColor: Sunlit & Cherry
  • ExtColor: Sunlit
Re: Bathroom stink
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2021, 12:42:56 pm »
Update: couldn't lubricate through top hole as there is none. Got phone in there for camera shots and saw threads between top piece and what looks like a collar with wings. We couldn't unscrew the collar on last attempt and figured the whole set up was glued. Once we spotted threads John was able to grip the collar and unscrew the top piece which is the check valve. Pics to follow if I can reduce the size enough to upload..

It is gross gooey so we are opting for replacement instead of lubricating or cleaning. I have put a freezer baggie over the pipe and taped the heck out of it until we get the replacement so our fan doesn't draw out the gas.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2021, 12:54:50 pm by 2 Frazzled »
John, Holly, and sometimes Chloe.
Travel Blog: Spiritofthewoods.net