• PurchDate: 3/7/2015
  • Model: 2552
  • ModelYear: 2011
  • Slide: Yes
  • IntColor: Tan/Cherry
  • ExtColor: Gray / White
Dinette cushion density
« on: November 18, 2020, 05:16:01 pm »
Our upholstery is flaking away. We just replaced our front seats with Flexsteel in cloth and I am ordering a new Euro recliner in cloth as well and ordering matching fabric for the dinette. Has anyone redone their dinette and if so did you change to a foam with higher density? I have no way of knowing the density of the current cushions so I'm in sort of a cross roads. Been considering a 2.4 -2.9 density for the seats and probably a bit thinner than the current thickness used and apply a 3/4' Dacron wrap. Not sure if Iíll need to replace the back cushions at this point but I know a 2.4 density is too stiff for the back.

Any suggestions? Anyone done this and if so any lessons learned to share?
« Last Edit: November 18, 2020, 05:42:48 pm by Joseph »

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
Re: Dinette cushion density
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2020, 11:55:00 pm »
Hi Joseph,

We originally ordered our PC in 2007 with the standard cloth cushions shown here.  These cushions used a thicker foam dimensionally, but the foam was soft and "gave-in" easily.  After 15 minutes sitting on the cushions, I bottomed-out.  I weigh 180 pounds.

Around 5 years later, I was "Done" with those cushions.  I could not tolerate the discomfort.  I had an opportunity to get the upgrade version that was originally available for our 2007.  The main foam is significantly more dense with a thin top layer of memory foam and is covered in the same vinyl material used elsewhere in the interior.  The over-all thickness is about one inch less than the original cushions.  The comfort level increased immensely.  My wife and I have been very happy with the dinette since we changed cushions.

The thinner and more dense foam were both "key" to improved comfort.  The thinner foam cushions make a more spacious dinette.  The dense foam supports us so much better that we don't sink in, but rather sit on.  This allows us to get in and out from the dinette, along with repositioning on the bench seat, effortlessly.  I don't know if a foam could be too dense for comfort, but I would say the more dense, the better.  Not only do you not sink in, but you don't deform the vinyl surface material.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 12:09:52 am by Ron Dittmer »
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

Joseph

• View Profile
  • NewUsed: Used
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2020, 10:12:59 am »
Thank you Ron!  thatís one of the issues with ours. Itís very puffy, for lack of a better word. Very hard to slide in because of it and hard on our back to sit in it for any length of time. The seat cushion is 5Ē thick and the back is 5 plus another 2Ē of nothing but fluff. Reminds me of what car makers thought a luxury cars CV interior was in the early 60ís.

So by your pictures Iím guessing your cushions are about 4Ē thick. Is that about right? Thatís the thickness Iím looking at plus the Dacron. MThereís lots of places to buy foam. Even Amazon has it and cheap as well but cheap is not a consideration here.  I feel Iíd just be throwing money away going bargain hunting on foam.

Joseph

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2020, 10:27:20 am »
Ron , another question. Are your cushions same thickness front to back and top to bottom for the back rest?

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2020, 11:23:06 pm »
Our seat base cushions measure exactly 4" thick.

Our backrest cushions measure 4-3/4" thick, but they are not as squared-up as the base cushions are.  They have a softer outer layer, I assume for "back" comfort.  I wonder if they use the same core foam as the base cushions, but have a thicker outer layer of softer foam.
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

Joseph

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2020, 10:17:28 am »
Thank you Ron, that helps me immensely!!

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2020, 10:16:31 pm »
You are very welcome.  I'd like to know how it works out for you.

Just in-case you wonder.... I have slept on the converted dinette when I fell ill during a trip.  The differences between the base and backrest cushions do not influence sleeping comfort.  It was surprisingly comfortable.  We have a guest on rare occasion and they too say it's comfortable.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2020, 10:22:02 pm by Ron Dittmer »
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer