• NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: January 4, 2018
  • Model: 2400 Ford
  • Slide: Yes
  • IntColor: toast
  • ExtColor: nightscape
Batteries
« on: November 04, 2020, 06:42:41 am »
You can get a PC with flooded wet cell batteries or AGM batteries, I got the wet cell and am replacing them with AGM. A friend said I'll have to change settings on the chassis alternator, the inverter, and solar controller. I can find nothing about this in my manuals. I called the factory and was basically told the settings were the same for both batteries. Does anyone know?

donc13

• View Profile
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • PurchDate: 03/2015
  • Model: 2551
  • ModelYear: 2015
  • IntColor: Nightscape/Hickory
  • ExtColor: White/Nightscape
Re: Batteries
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2020, 08:13:24 am »
There is no change for the chassis alternator or inverter.

The converter/charger (part of your power panel) may or may not have the ability to change settings.  No idea on your solar controller.

Don
---
Don and Patti

rvrunner

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2020, 10:28:49 am »
I have my inverter, converter turned around. It's the converter charger that I was wondering if there was an adjustment for AMG batteries. I don't think there is.

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2020, 11:11:02 am »
Just FYI:  Older PCs with the Tripp-Lite inverter has a setting specific for AGM batteries.

I never heard of a setting (adjustment) to change for the output of the main engine alternator.
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

rvrunner

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2020, 12:06:01 pm »
I haven't either.

Engineerlt

• A Little Project
    • View Profile
  • NewUsed: Used
  • PurchDate: Aug, 2019
  • Model: 2552
  • ModelYear: 2017
  • IntColor: Hickory
  • ExtColor: Toast
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2020, 03:35:17 pm »
My question for you is does your coach have the Parallax 5300. If it does then the converter is only a 2 stage which is not a very good design. It often overcharges the batteries and will shorten there life expectancy. I removed the converter from mine and installed the WFCO 9855 which is a 4 stage (good for flooded, gel and AGM) and also can be set-up to charge lithium-ion batteries. 

donc13

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2020, 06:09:55 pm »
My question for you is does your coach have the Parallax 5300. If it does then the converter is only a 2 stage which is not a very good design. It often overcharges the batteries and will shorten there life expectancy. I removed the converter from mine and installed the WFCO 9855 which is a 4 stage (good for flooded, gel and AGM) and also can be set-up to charge lithium-ion batteries. 

You have 55amp wiring?  Typically for a 2552, you'd use a WFCO 9835.

Don
---
Don and Patti

rvrunner

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2020, 07:45:20 pm »
I have the Progressive Dynamics  PD 4560 3 stag converter. I gave them a call and that converter is set up for both wet cell and AGM batteries, no adjustments necessary. My solar controller is Samlex scc-30AB, I called them and they said there are settings on the back of the display, I took out the display and there are 5 tiny switches, looking at the manual they were set for AGM batteries. The only difference is the AGM setting charges at a lower rate. There are no adjustments for the chassis alternator. Thanks all for your replies.

Engineerlt

• A Little Project
    • View Profile
  • PurchDate: Aug, 2019
  • Model: 2552
  • ModelYear: 2017
  • IntColor: Hickory
  • ExtColor: Toast
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2020, 10:18:54 am »
My Parallax 5355 had a  55 amp converter, that is why I replaced it with the WFCO 9855LIS floor mount converter. It is a big improvement over the Parallax converter.

rvrunner

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2020, 01:41:22 pm »
What's the difference between an Absorbed Glass Matt (AGM) battery and a Sealed Lead Acid (SLA) battery?

donc13

• View Profile
---
Don and Patti

Volkemon

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: October 31, 2017
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2006
  • IntColor: Light Maple
  • ExtColor: White
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2020, 12:00:29 pm »
What's the difference between an Absorbed Glass Matt (AGM) battery and a Sealed Lead Acid (SLA) battery?

None!   (exactly)

Why?

Readers Digest version: The AGM battery is a subset (or type) of SLA battery (or VRLA if you prefer that name) .  So all AGM's are SLA's,  but NOT all SLA's are AGM.  ie: I have Gel Cell SLA's.

I think this is what donc13 was directing you to for an answer in the link above:

SLA, VLRA, AGM, Is There A Difference?
SLA (Sealed Lead Acid) and VRLA (Valve Regulated Lead Acid) are different acronyms for the same battery. This battery type has the following characteristics: Maintenance-free, leak-proof, position insensitive. Batteries of this kind have a safety vent to release gas in case of excessive internal pressure build up. AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) refers to a specific type of SLA/VRLA where the electrolyte is absorbed into separators between the plates consisting of sponge like fine glass fiber mats. SLA batteries are divided up into specific subsets of batteries.

AGM And Gel Cell Batteries Difference?
Both types of batteries are sealed, valve regulated batteries allowing them to be used in any position. The difference lies in the way the electrolyte is immobilized. In case of AGM (absorbed glass mat), the newer of the two technologies, the electrolyte is absorbed by the glass fiber separator who acts like a sponge. In a gel-type battery the liquid electrolyte turns into a gel right after the battery is filled. Gel batteries use a different type of separators which are not absorbent. Because of the design, gel cell batteries don't offer the same power capacity as do the same physical size AGM battery. For example, an AGM battery that is 12V 100AH, whereas, for example, a gel cell battery in the same size case would only be rated at 84AH.However, the Gel Cell excels in slow discharge rates and slightly higher operating temperatures. The internal design is otherwise similar.
""You want to save money on travel, drive a Prius and stay at motel 6""  Forum Member Joseph

WORD.