• PurchDate: 3/7/2015
  • Model: 2552
  • ModelYear: 2011
  • Slide: Yes
  • IntColor: Tan/Cherry
  • ExtColor: Gray / White
Electrical charging issue
« on: July 13, 2020, 06:12:06 pm »
Ok weíre on the road and here is  the issue. The house batteries charge when hooked to shore power or when we run the generator. They do not charge from my chassis alternator. I thought maybe the 40 amp Auto reset breaker under the hood might be the culprit but no dice. Anyone have any ideas on what I might check next?

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
Re: Electrical charging issue
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2020, 07:10:25 pm »
You bought your PC used.  I wonder if a previous owner replaced the temp-on switch by the drivers left knee with a constant-on switch.  If it was modified and is set in the wrong position, things might behave different.

I understand there is a solenoid under the hood somewhere, possibly the driver side.  It might have become stuck.  Find it and gently tap it with a hammer (don't dent it).  It would resemble something like this.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 07:21:51 pm by Ron Dittmer »
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

mikeh

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 02/2019
  • ModelYear: 2019
  • IntColor: Toast
  • ExtColor: Toast
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2020, 07:18:03 pm »
Ron is correct.
Need to verify that the solenoid on the firewall is pulling in. The primary purpose of that solenoid is to connect the engine alternator to the house batteries when the engine is running.  Current ones are mounted on the firewall under the hood, driver's side of engine.

Joseph

• View Profile
  • NewUsed: Used
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2020, 07:27:00 pm »
The previous owner was in his 80ís so it was bone stock on purchase.   The temp on to help boost the engine is in place. Itís a momentary switch .  It clicks but I canít locate anything under the hood so far

However I had my better half hitting that momentary switch several times while I tried to locate it under the hood and now its charging from the alternator.
Thank you Ron!  If you hadnít mentioned that switch I wouldnít have considered it. Heck I forgot it was there.  I need to find out where itís located in case it should eventually need to be changed out.

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2020, 10:56:05 pm »
However I had my better half hitting that momentary switch several times while I tried to locate it under the hood and now its charging from the alternator.
Thank you Ron!  If you hadnít mentioned that switch I wouldnít have considered it. Heck I forgot it was there.  I need to find out where itís located in case it should eventually need to be changed out.
Wow, internet doctoring actually works once in a while.  I am glad you got the alternator charging the house batteries again.  I wouldn't be too quick to replace the solenoid now that it's working again.  The rig might have sat too long.  Now that you woke it up, it might work reliably.  Just for the sake of insurance, I would press and let go of that momentary switch just prior to starting your PC during the season to assure it doesn't get stuck again.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 11:03:50 pm by Ron Dittmer »
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

Joseph

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2020, 09:16:44 am »
Great idea, Thanks Ron. 

Joseph

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2020, 09:27:26 pm »
So it lasted a day.  I figured it had to be the isolator solenoid so I called Carol to order one. Carol said she had it but wanted to talk to the electrician Ed first to save me from just throwing money at it. Next morning I had a list of items to check but no luck. Next Carol had the electrician Ed call me. He walked me thru testing point to point till we found a connection that wasnít being made.  Talk about a rare service in this industry. I hope the owners of PC understand the true value of employees like Carol and Ed. Itís that kind of dedication and service that brings return customers as well as new.  I am truly impressed as well as extremely grateful.

Volkemon

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: October 31, 2017
  • ModelYear: 2006
  • IntColor: Light Maple
  • ExtColor: White
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2020, 08:38:38 am »
So it lasted a day.  I figured it had to be the isolator solenoid so I called Carol to order one. Carol said she had it but wanted to talk to the electrician Ed first to save me from just throwing money at it. Next morning I had a list of items to check but no luck. Next Carol had the electrician Ed call me. He walked me thru testing point to point till we found a connection that wasnít being made.  Talk about a rare service in this industry. I hope the owners of PC understand the true value of employees like Carol and Ed. Itís that kind of dedication and service that brings return customers as well as new.  I am truly impressed as well as extremely grateful.

DIAGNOSTICS RULE!!    (exactly)       Good job from PC!
""You want to save money on travel, drive a Prius and stay at motel 6""  Forum Member Joseph

WORD.