• PurchDate: Aug, 2019
  • Model: 2552
  • ModelYear: 2017
  • Slide: Yes
  • IntColor: Hickory
  • ExtColor: Toast
Pets and Protecting Them When You Leave
« on: November 05, 2019, 11:53:15 am »
Hello, I was wondering if anyone of you have added something to your PC to help protect your pets while your away. My wife brought up the question to me what happens if the RV park looses power when we are away, especially if its hot outside. How will our dog survive when the temperature starts to increase inside. My PC came with a maxxair fan that has a thermostat, so when it reaches a set temperature it opens and starts. I originally though this would cover the problem until I actually tried it out. So one morning here at the house I put the fan in auto and let the temperature rise.  The fan opened and kicked in but the change in temperature was less than what I had hoped for. So  I decided that I needed a better solution to the problem, my answer was the Onan automatic generator start controller EC-30. It took me about a day pulling wire and wiring everything in ( except the AC as its the Houghton). I am very impressed with the EC-30 controller. Once you get it set-up it works great. If the PC looses power the generator starts and comes online without an issue.  This Houghton AC also starts backup and runs as I hoped it would, so the dog shouldn't suffer from extreme temperatures. Anyone have any other ideas?

TheLuvShack

• View Profile
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: Used
  • PurchDate: October 2016
  • Model: 3100
  • ModelYear: 2012
Re: Pets and Protecting Them When You Leave
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2019, 04:55:35 pm »
Your solution might be the best solution available but I'd still be concerned if the auto start fails. I use a free APP called Presence. It will turn an old cell phone into a video camera. The old phone does not need to be activated. You just need a connection to the internet. I set a thermometer on the counter with the old cell phone aimed at it. I can access the video from anywhere with another cell phone to check the temp in the coach. I check the temp in the coach every hour. If there is a problem we head back to the coach or call a neighbor to investigate.

Volkemon

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: October 31, 2017
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2006
  • IntColor: Light Maple
  • ExtColor: White
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2019, 09:48:57 am »
 tymote tymote tymote tymote

Awesome app!  I knew I saved my old phones for something.

Link to home page of app - http://www.presencepro.com/

tymote
""You want to save money on travel, drive a Prius and stay at motel 6""  Forum Member Joseph

WORD.

donc13

• View Profile
  • NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: 03/2015
  • Model: 2551
  • ModelYear: 2015
  • IntColor: Nightscape/Hickory
  • ExtColor: White/Nightscape
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2019, 10:39:40 am »
The camera is a good idea but if you lose power, you probably lose internet too.   Maybe not if the cell camera and internet access point is hooked up to the inverter.

But certainly great if something goes wrong with the a/c or furnace even if power is fine.

Don
---
Don and Patti

jim.godfrey

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: October 2019
  • ModelYear: 2020
  • IntColor: Desert Sand
  • ExtColor: Nightscape w/ Burgundy
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2019, 07:32:35 pm »
ENGINEERLT: Do you set up your EC-30 to run continuously when the shore power is down or run off a thermostat?
The factory was unable to wire my Houghtons the way they would normally set up the EC-30 to only run the generator when there is a call for cooling from the AC.
I thought about adding a thermostat to run the generator when shore power is lost.
The electrician at the factory was great and ran some extra wires for me to the thermostat location to accommodate this.

I am very happy to hear that the Houghton holds it settings though the power outage!

Regards, Jim G.

Engineerlt

• A Little Project
    • View Profile
  • PurchDate: Aug, 2019
  • ModelYear: 2017
  • IntColor: Hickory
  • ExtColor: Toast
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2019, 07:52:12 am »
So, you have the Hougton AC as well. I would like to talk to you about how you like your AC and maybe you can answer some questions for me. Back to the subject what I did; is wired my EC30 to start when shore power is lost and stop when shore power is restored. Not sure why yours isn't setup that way. I have seen some of the factory installs and it appeared to me that they installed a small AC to DC plug in converter right below the EC30 using the outlet to sense AC power available, What I did instead of this is used a small transformer that drops 120V AC to 12VAC (like a doorbell transformer) and wired the 12V AC to the terminals 13 & 14 of the EC30. The transformer is installed in the transfer switch box which, had plenty of space for it, plus allowed me to pick up shore power right at the transfer switch relay. The Houghton AC will re-start if it was running previously when power is restored.

My question to you about the Houghton AC, does your AC want to short cycle when the temperature setting gets to the set point? Here in Florida summer is very hot, during the day the AC runs continuously but at night it gets to set temp shuts down for a couple minutes if that and then restarts. The restart process is what gets me also, it first kicks the fan on, then cycles off, then kicks the fan on and starts the compressor, runs to shut off temperature.  The logic used in the temperature control is different not a big fan. I have seen where they say the unit will short cycle if the discharge air is recirculated back into the inlet. They say you should adjust the vents, so the air doesn't bounce off bulkheads or cabinets.  I have tried every possible configuration but can't get it to stop, drives me nuts, I wish the unit used a standard thermostat instead of the internal one. The issue would be non-existent if they did it. I like how quite it is but the short-cycling wakes me up. I think I may go to the Dometic AC,  try a soft start kit and hook the thermostat back up.  Have you had the short cycle issue, also does yours kick the fan on then off and on again with the compressor?   This AC was installed by Advanced RV, the previous owner had it installed. Have you seen this with your AC?

Joseph

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 3/7/2015
  • ModelYear: 2011
  • IntColor: Tan/Cherry
  • ExtColor: Gray / White
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2019, 11:06:42 am »
I have the same ac as well. My fan does not shut on and off as you describe. My fan runs on which ever setting low-high. As far as compressor cycling when close to temp goes, if that is a concern you do not want the dometic. I couldn’t wait to get rid of that rattle trap. Always cycling sounding like a can of marbles on start up and so loud you couldn't hear your self think. Should you decide to change out I have no doubt someone will be grateful to take it off your hands.

jim.godfrey

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: October 2019
  • ModelYear: 2020
  • IntColor: Desert Sand
  • ExtColor: Nightscape w/ Burgundy
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2019, 08:30:09 pm »
Engineerlt: Wish I could be more help but I only picked up my 2553 less than a month ago and other than a few test spins of the AC do not have much experience with them as it has been rather chilly in NE.
Would it help to run your fan in the constant mode so that it would only be the compressor cycling? Might also equalize the temperatures inside and outside the AC unit by keeping room air blowing across the sensor.so that the compressor will cycle less?

Its funny you mention that wall wart power supply under the control panel. I tried to get PC to move it into a cabinet or someplace less visible but they said no.
I thought they told me that was a power supply for my See Level tank monitor but I can check that out this weekend. I'll probably be moving it myself in the spring.
Don't think they did any setup on my EC30, Told me I needed to read the manual and set it up how I like it.  That's ok, will get to it eventually.

Unfortunately I've not had much time to tinker with the RV since we picked it up.