• PurchDate: 3/20
  • Model: 2351
  • ModelYear: 2020 2351D
  • Slide: Yes
  • IntColor: Greystone
  • ExtColor: Jack Doub Grey/Greystone
Leveling Jacks pro & con
« on: September 14, 2019, 04:43:34 pm »
Thinking about moving from a 2100 to a 2351D. With a 25' rig are leveling jacks worth while? And what are the pluses and minuses? Does the extra weight/cost make them not worth while?
Thanks.
Jack is what we call our PC 2351D, and he has taken us from campers to RV'ers and loving it. We're no longer Team Bob. Just Jack the RV!

fandj

• View Profile
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: New
  • Model: 2552
  • ModelYear: 2016
  • IntColor: Graystone
  • ExtColor: Nightscape - full body
Re: Leveling Jacks pro & con
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2019, 08:17:12 pm »
The HWH levelers are not a cheap option but in my opinion they add significantly to the pleasure of RVing.  This is particularly so if your campground stays are short and you are frequently moving to a different campground and or you don’t have a toad and want to use the Phoenix for sightseeing, shopping, etc.

We are currently on a two month western trips with short stays (1-5 days).  Everytime we move and have to resetup I think of and appreciate the ease of leveling from cab as well as the ease of extending the slide and awning.  To me the only negative to having any of these electromechanical devices are unexpected failures.  I guess if one is too afraid of these kind of failures one should avoid cars, trucks, and RVs along with the myriad of other devises that add pleasure to our lives.

Sarz272000

• View Profile
  • NewUsed: Used
  • PurchDate: August 2018
  • Model: 2551
  • ModelYear: 2010
  • IntColor: Gray
  • ExtColor: Gray
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2019, 08:26:55 pm »
We have a 2551 without jacks.  We have not had any problems leveling using pads.  The only down fall is stability of the unit.  When in bed and the other person walks one can feel slight rocking of the unit.  It is more noticeable when up on pads for leveling. 

We had an appoint to have them installed but had to cancel.  Probably consider them in the spring.  I like the idea of push a button and level is done. You get some of the cost back on resale.

Hey how did the visit go at PC?  How was the 2351D unit?  I like that unit.  I wish the bed was longer than 74 inches though, I am 6’2” and that is tight.

Ron S

biglegmax

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: ordered a 2017, got a 2018
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2018 2350 e450 4x4
  • IntColor: lots
  • ExtColor: white,no paint,or decals
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2019, 10:53:44 pm »
With the 2351D, I think you could be in a catch 22 situation. I suspect with the extra slide you are going to be pushing the rear axle max. I don't know what the jacks add, but it must be several hundred pounds. I think most people under estimate the weight of their stuff.

With two slides I think you would really appreciate the stability and ease. I know its about the only option I would do again without hesitation.

Get real weights, and make an informed decision. Leave yourself some room, maybe even consider another model.
Doug

garmp

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2019, 08:48:41 am »
sarz, the trip was a huge success. We had a broken drawer latch which in turn caused the drawer to come sliding out breaking the slides and it would no longer stay in. We met Doug the service guy who took care of the problem. While we were talking to Dave Ponsler and met Chuck the owner, Doug came in in about 10 minutes and said that we were all fixed. When I asked what I owed, he said don't worry about it. It was only a couple of screws and a few minutes. Super people.
They can make the bed longer, but it will no longer be a walk around.
Now I gotta check out the weight, etc.
Thanks all
Jack is what we call our PC 2351D, and he has taken us from campers to RV'ers and loving it. We're no longer Team Bob. Just Jack the RV!

Tall Guy

• View Profile
  • OwnPC: No
  • PurchDate: 3/23/2018
  • ModelYear: 2018
  • IntColor: Desert sand
  • ExtColor: Toast, lower body paint
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2019, 10:06:55 am »
We absolutely love our jacks especially if it's raining.  I wouldn't hesitate to put them on any size rig.

romstead

• Rob and Lisa. Sookie, Katie on the road
    • View Profile
  • PurchDate: 3/30/19
  • ModelYear: 2011-2552
  • IntColor: Cherry
  • ExtColor: Sand
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2019, 11:42:07 am »
We have a 2011 2552 and we love the Jacks. The stability they add is priceless I would not be without them.
Man small
Why Fall?

Skies Call
That's All

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2019, 03:08:50 pm »
If jacks were lower cost, we would have gotten them back in 2007.  At the time we figured we would add them later if we changed our mind.  That was 12 years ago and we still don't have them.  At times I really wished we had leveling jacks.  At other times I am glad we don't.  We always have a tow vehicle which helps a lot for limiting the inconvenience in handling Lynx Leveler ramps.

As mentioned by biglegmax, with model 2351D you have to closely watch your rear axle axle-over-load, even considering the rig rests on an E450 chassis.  The rear-axle weight transfer is dramatic on our E350-2350.  I suspect something similar might exist with model 2351D.

As far as movement of the rig when parked, CLICK HERE.

There is one thing to keep in-mind about leveling.  If you often "go primitive", the parking pads are also primitive, sloped, and uneven.  For uneven conditions, I often am successful in moving the rig around into and out of low spots to level without the need for ramps.  The bubble levels by the driver works great for that.

Whether using leveling jacks or ramps, you can adjust a maximum of around 4".  I have seen class-A's adjusted "level" so much that their front tires are off the ground.  I don't think class C jacks are safe to use in that way.  People here will correct me if I am wrong.  Whatever the limits are, be sure to understand them.

I am not bashing jacks or trying to talk you out of them.  They sure seem great to have for typical conditions.  If your budget is accommodating, it's not a hard decision.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 09:59:58 am by Ron Dittmer »
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

TheLuvShack

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: October 2016
  • Model: 3100
  • ModelYear: 2012
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2019, 05:36:31 am »
We had a classic for many years. A 1971 Avion 28'. Loved that trailer. Beautiful birch wood interior and solid as a rock. Now that we're classic ourselves, we enjoy the convenience of just pushing a button to level, extend the slide and the awning. We have a 2012 model 3100 and have had zero problems with any of these conveniences. wouldn't be without any of them.

garmp

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2019, 04:03:39 pm »
Ron, I'm sorry but just how does "We always have a tow vehicle which helps a lot for limiting the inconvenience in handling Lynx Leveler ramps." help with leveling ramps?

CalCruiser

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: November 2015
  • ModelYear: 2003
  • IntColor: Hickory/ Beige
  • ExtColor: custom dark shadow grey & blue jeans metallic stripes
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2019, 05:34:38 pm »
I think what Ron was saying is the blocks take up storage space. I have the similar Camco FasTen nesting blocks that I keep spread throughout the exterior compartment under the corner bed instead of stacked ten high.

If I were buying new I would get the levelling jacks and keep it until I get too old to drive.
The 2351 has a longer wheelbase than the 2350, so the weight of  jacks might not be such a  big deal in addition to a  rear slide out on the e450. Or maybe just get the regular 2351 with a longer bed instead of a pantry, rather than the 2351D. Contrary to what's been written, they  still build e350 2350's, so if you want a softer riding coach  perhaps they would custom build  an e350 2351.
Goin' where the wind goes...

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2019, 09:30:00 pm »
Ron, I'm sorry but just how does "We always have a tow vehicle which helps a lot for limiting the inconvenience in handling Lynx Leveler ramps." help with leveling ramps?
Our PC stays on the ramps at the camp site while we are out during the day with the tow vehicle.  We drive our PC on the ramps and it stays there until days later when it's time to move on.

If we did not tow another vehicle, then we would be messing with driving up on and down off ramps daily.  Our camp site is "base camp" with our days off to trail heads and sight-seeing.  The only time we hang around the camp site for the day is when it's real bad weather.
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

Volkemon

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: October 31, 2017
  • ModelYear: 2006
  • IntColor: Light Maple
  • ExtColor: White
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2019, 12:18:57 pm »
I would LOVE leveling jacks, but it seems that the tank layout in a 2006 2350 makes the rear jack fitment an issue.

Anyone out there with a 99-2007 2350 on a E350 chassis that has leveling jacks?  I would LOVE a pic of the back jacks.

To me the only negative to having any of these electromechanical devices are unexpected failures.  I guess if one is too afraid of these kind of failures one should avoid cars, trucks, and RVs along with the myriad of other devises that add pleasure to our lives.

About the only corollary I would add is 'more complexity leads to more problems'. I do want leveling jacks, but manual ones. I am fine watching a level. TWO levels even.  :lol  I dont need 'press a button and wait' as that leads to MANY more parts and electronics... not to mention adds $1000 or more to the kit.   (http://www.thebigfootleveler.com/ford-e-350.html)  This is the kit I would like, if I can work around the rear fitment issues - http://www.thebigfootleveler.com/platinum-system-e-350.html 
""You want to save money on travel, drive a Prius and stay at motel 6""  Forum Member Joseph

WORD.

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2019, 08:27:37 pm »
I would LOVE leveling jacks, but it seems that the tank layout in a 2006 2350 makes the rear jack fitment an issue.
Interesting.

I recall hydraulic jacks were an option for our 2007 2350 which has the same mechanicals as a 2006 2350.

My records state as follows.
2007 - $3766 MSRP, HWH brand Hydraulic Leveling Jacks
This is their website: https://www.hwhcorp.com/

Maybe the HWH brand fits where others don't ???
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

fandj

• View Profile
  • ModelYear: 2016
  • IntColor: Graystone
  • ExtColor: Nightscape - full body
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2019, 08:42:05 pm »
To answer an earlier question regarding lifting the wheels off the ground.  HWH info says that lifting the wheels off the ground is not an issue with the jacks.  I have on several occasions lifted the front wheels off the ground to achieve the level the refrigerator requires.  Because the rear wheels secures the PC in place when parked I am careful not to lift the rear wheels off the ground.

Since the HWH leveling system supplied by Phoenix only lifts two jacks at a time it reduces the chance of excessive twisting or racking of the frame.  Typically when pulling into a site I lay my IPhone with a leveling app on coach floor beside the driver seat so to get it as level as feasible before deploying the jacks.  I shoot for near level with jacks but not to exceed +- 3 degrees front to back and not to exceed +- 6 degrees side to side.