Pops

• View Profile
  • OwnPC: No
  • NewUsed: New
  • Model: 2100
  • Slide: Yes
looking to buy used tow equipment
« on: September 14, 2019, 12:07:07 pm »
We're newbies to motorhome equipment and wondering if there's a website to look for used tow equipment
for sale?
We want to tow a 2014 Honda Crv

Appreciate your input.

Thanks

Pops

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
Re: looking to buy used tow equipment
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2019, 02:23:44 pm »
I found some great deals on my area Craigslist, though I never did buy.  The problem with buying used from far away and sight-unseen, is that you don't know how worn out the equipment is, and the shipping is very expensive between two private parties.

Once in a while, a hitch & trailer company, or RV dealership will clear out such excess equipment, often brand-new but with damaged packaging or without the original packaging.  I bought a new Roadmaster tow bar kit for our Jeep Liberty, and a "Unified" brake controller kit from such places on Ebay.  Prices were 66% (2/3 off) typical retailer prices.  The Roadmaster kit was missing some hardware of which Roadmaster quickly provided what I needed.  The brake controller came with everything, but I called US Gear in advance before purchasing to make sure they backed up an open-box purchase, of which they did.

In my two cases, everything came in perfect condition.  Nothing scratched, beat-up, weathered, or otherwise less than new-condition.  Installing everything myself saved piles more money.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 10:01:22 am by Ron Dittmer »
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

BlueBlaze

• View Profile
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: Used
  • PurchDate: 06/2016
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2008
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: birch
  • ExtColor: white
Re: looking to buy used tow equipment
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2019, 07:28:09 am »
I got both my tow hitch (Roadmaster Falcon 2) and auxiliary brake (RVi 2) from Craigslist, and saved at least half.  Not sure if that would have been possible if I didn't live near the megacity of Houston.  You'll probably have to buy your base plate new.