• PurchDate: 02/2019
  • Model: 2552
  • ModelYear: 2019
  • Slide: Yes
  • IntColor: Toast
  • ExtColor: Toast
Re: Dead Batteries - Storage
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2019, 07:42:43 am »
Tom, for what it's worth---after careful review a couple of times now of the Parallax site and their line of converter-chargers (the first time was when I was trying to determine what would go in my own unit), I believe the Parallax units are good and well-designed converter-chargers for RV applications.  I just don't think they should be used in a flooded-cell battery application without installing the TempAssure module.  If/when the unit is left plugged in for an extended amount of time, even their low "float voltage" will eventually increase battery heat, increasing out-gassing of the electrolyte.  Unless the user is monitoring battery water pretty closely, he ends up with what you experienced.  While AGM-type batteries would prevent the electrolyte loss, they would certainly also benefit from the TempAssure technology which provides four different charge voltages based on battery temperature (compared to three from a multi-stage converter-charger like the Progressive Dynamics unit).

I think that with the TempAssure module installed to tailor charge voltage to battery condition, the Parallax unit becomes an excellent converter-charger.  I don't know why Parallax didn't just make it a standard feature on the units that can incorporate it, and bump their price accordingly.

All the best,          Mike 

Tom B

• View Profile
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: Used
  • PurchDate: 31Jul2018
  • ModelYear: 2018
  • IntColor: Graystone
  • ExtColor: Nightscape
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2019, 08:14:52 am »
Tom, for what it's worth---after careful review a couple of times now of the Parallax site and their line of converter-chargers (the first time was when I was trying to determine what would go in my own unit), I believe the Parallax units are good and well-designed converter-chargers for RV applications.  I just don't think they should be used in a flooded-cell battery application without installing the TempAssure module.  If/when the unit is left plugged in for an extended amount of time, even their low "float voltage" will eventually increase battery heat, increasing out-gassing of the electrolyte.  Unless the user is monitoring battery water pretty closely, he ends up with what you experienced.  While AGM-type batteries would prevent the electrolyte loss, they would certainly also benefit from the TempAssure technology which provides four different charge voltages based on battery temperature (compared to three from a multi-stage converter-charger like the Progressive Dynamics unit).

I think that with the TempAssure module installed to tailor charge voltage to battery condition, the Parallax unit becomes an excellent converter-charger.  I don't know why Parallax didn't just make it a standard feature on the units that can incorporate it, and bump their price accordingly.

All the best,          Mike

Yes, “extended”  charging times like long term storage seems to be the issue. I can deal with the storage, and when camping we don’t tend to stay at one location more than a few days...but would still be nice to have the ability to do so without cooking the batteries. As you say, the TempAssure seems like a no brainer thing to do. I plan on getting my Parallex model# today and hopefully adding the TempAssure feature.
Thanks again,
Tom

2 Frazzled

• View Profile
    • Spirit of the Woods
  • NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: May 2013
  • ModelYear: 2013
  • IntColor: Sunlit & Cherry
  • ExtColor: Sunlit
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2019, 08:38:05 am »
We stored our rig for months with no power hook up and no problem. Sometimes it was well below freezing and sometimes over 100 degrees. We ran the generator every month and it did its thing with the batteries at that time. During storage we make sure everything is off and hit the battery kill switch by the door.

Our truck battery went dead once but we figured out the step switch was cycling so we locked it in the out position during storage and all was well.I

Our house batteries started dropping a few months back and we discovered one of the cables to the battery terminals was loose. Once we tightened that, we were good again. Our batteries are going on six years and John thinks they aren't holding a charge as well so we will be replacing them soon.
John, Holly, and sometimes Chloe.
Travel Blog: Spiritofthewoods.net

swiftboot

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 10-31-16
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2351----2015
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2019, 03:57:37 pm »
TNcanuck,  I am curious what might be tripping the GFI breaker when he plugs up at home.  Thank you for your explicit explanation on the electrical system as well.  Since he is leaving on a trip soon, if the pedestal breaker trips, it might make for not a fun time.

Tom B

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2019, 05:45:30 pm »
TNcanuck,  I am curious what might be tripping the GFI breaker when he plugs up at home.  Thank you for your explicit explanation on the electrical system as well.  Since he is leaving on a trip soon, if the pedestal breaker trips, it might make for not a fun time.
Thanks for asking. I have no issues plugged into 30amp breakers at campgrounds. Went on a couple of weekends trips and a two week trip around Lake Superior late last summer and early fall and had no issues.

This issue is when plugging into a 29amp GFI in my garage...the breaker in the coach to the left of the main labeled “Inverter Power” is what is tripping it, when I shut this one off I can plug into my garage. This is sort of why I thought that was the proble, I assumed the XM 1800 inverter was a dual purpose charging and inverter unit?
Tom

TNcanuck

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: April/2018
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2004
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2019, 05:51:10 pm »
GFI circuits are super sensitive so perhaps that’s why it trips at home but not at a campground. Something to keep in mind, TomB, is that you may have other things plugged and running in the same GFI circuit in your house and when you plug in the RV it’s maxing out that circuit.

Another thing to keep in mind is that GFI outlets are usually daisy chained together on the same circuit. So the GFI outlet in the garage is likely on the same circuit as the GFIs in the kitchen and bathroom. If you had your garage GFI wired as a dedicated circuit then this wouldn’t be the case, but most homes are wired with the GFIs on the same circuit.

In any event, you should always turn the inverter off when connected to shore power or running the generator. If fact, only turn it on when you really want to use AC power when boondocking in order to prevent battery drain. Inverters draw power out of the batteries when turned on and just sitting idle.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 08:31:50 am by TNcanuck »
“Vandor”
John & Cheryl

2 Frazzled

• View Profile
    • Spirit of the Woods
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2019, 07:02:45 am »
Tom B - you have a separate inverter and converter (charger). Way back when Ron Ditmer's rig was built they were installing a single unit (Trip-Lite). If you have the XM-1800 it is inverter only. There is a separate converter in your rig.

Ashby

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 09/18
  • IntColor: DesertSand
  • ExtColor: DesertSand
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2019, 12:58:30 pm »
In my experience GFI's and Inverters don't get along. I have had a number of MH's with various makes of inverters that tripped residential GFI's. Since the 30 and 50 amp outlets in campgrounds don't have GFI's we don't normally experience any problems. I believe the type of circuitry in the inverters causes the trips. I think this is normal and the inverter does not need to be replaced .

2 Frazzled

• View Profile
    • Spirit of the Woods
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2019, 04:47:43 pm »
Another question is "did you hook up with a power manager?" - I ask because we hooked up to my Dad's once and found that he had a problem on his end. Just because it is a residential outlet doesn't mean it is working properly.

Tom B

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2019, 11:33:34 am »
Batteries replaced, and TempAssure module installed today.

mikeh

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 02/2019
  • IntColor: Toast
  • ExtColor: Toast
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2019, 01:07:52 pm »
Great, Tom!

If you can, please provide any feedback about if/how TempAssure improves things down the road.  That would be a big help in the future to others using the Parallax unit and experiencing similar problems.  I know that "Jatrax" installed one not too long after he got his 2017 2552, and he said he was happy with how the converter-charger was performing afterwards, but that's the only actual feedback I've seen.  Based on all I can absorb from the technical documents, however, I think it will do the job.

All the best,        Mike 

Taildragger

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 02/20
  • Model: 2100
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • IntColor: Cherry/Desert Sand
  • ExtColor: Grey
Tripplite RV2012UL
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2021, 01:37:30 pm »
Switch Positions?

I have read this topic with interest.  Contributors have some very informative replies.  I haven't suffered a dead battery.  My problem
is related to a vintage device that was installed by a prior owner and I am using without documentation.
My question is of a very rudimentary nature.  I have a Tripplite RV2012UL and no documentation.  Nor can I find a copy.
I am wondering about the three positions on the switch.
        AUTO          OFF           CHARGE
      REMOTE                            ONLY
The switch position that I don't know the purpose for:  CHARGE ONLY

i would appreciate advice from someone who has experience using the device.  I can imagine a couple of different scenarios the
switch position would be appropriate for. 

donc13

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 03/2015
  • Model: 2551
  • ModelYear: 2015
  • IntColor: Nightscape/Hickory
  • ExtColor: White/Nightscape
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2021, 02:55:41 pm »
Great, Tom!

If you can, please provide any feedback about if/how TempAssure improves things down the road.  That would be a big help in the future to others using the Parallax unit and experiencing similar problems.  I know that "Jatrax" installed one not too long after he got his 2017 2552, and he said he was happy with how the converter-charger was performing afterwards, but that's the only actual feedback I've seen.  Based on all I can absorb from the technical documents, however, I think it will do the job.

All the best,        Mike 

The data sheet for thr RV2012UL is available on triplite.com

However,since it is both an inverter and a charger, it would make sense to me that the Charge Only position would do just that, set the device to only charge the house batteries when connected to shore power and do nothing when not connected to shore power.

Th Auto setting, would turn the inverter portion on when not plugging into shore power, but when plugged into shore power... it would only charge your coach batteries.

---
Don and Patti

Taildragger

• View Profile
The data sheet for thr RV2012UL is available on triplite.com
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2021, 05:59:12 pm »
I saw the sorry excuse for TrippLites explanation for the switch positions. There was a short paragraph dedicated T o switch positions where the charge function was described as "⊙☆●□♤£€\~~¡◇♡€£¥".
Obviously, an error it was meaningless and neither usable as a hyperlink or text.

Although I appreciate your response,  your answer begs the question: charge position for shore power only?  Or, is to be used in conjunction with the truck generator?

Taildragger

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2021, 03:40:23 am »
There is an interesting addition to the information contained in the Tripp Lite Manual,  Very informative!
Explanation including narrative posted by another member

https://forum.phoenixusarv.com/index.php/topic,73.0.html