• NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: January 4, 2018
  • Model: 2400 Ford
  • Slide: Yes
  • IntColor: toast
  • ExtColor: nightscape
Slide out
« on: September 17, 2018, 03:42:36 pm »
My slide out jerks when going in and out. The factory said they are all like that. It just doesn't seem right. Any opinions.

Lynn

Tall Guy

• View Profile
  • OwnPC: No
  • PurchDate: 3/23/2018
  • Model: 2552
  • ModelYear: 2018
  • IntColor: Desert sand
  • ExtColor: Toast, lower body paint
Re: Slide out
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2018, 03:51:49 pm »
My rig is brand new and the slide does jump a little when it's first going out.  It seems that the seal holds it in place some and needs to be released therefore causing a little jump  Other than that little jump it moves very smoothly.  I've not noticed anything similar when retracting.

Just my limited observation, hopefully it helps.

Gary

CalCruiser

• View Profile
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: Used
  • PurchDate: November 2015
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2003
  • IntColor: Hickory/ Beige
  • ExtColor: Custom Ford colors- dark shadow grey & blue jeans metallic
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2018, 05:25:54 pm »
If Phoenix still includes  all the system manuals with the owners manual packet check the preventative maintenance procedure. Itís good to periodically lube the gear drives and treat the seals so they wonít stick together and tear.  Mine runs smoothly and I intend to keep it that way using the aerosol stuff  from Thetford.
Goin' where the wind goes...

RheaNL

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: October 4, 2012
  • Model: 2100
  • ModelYear: 2013
  • IntColor: Dusk
  • ExtColor: Dusk lower
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2018, 06:04:42 pm »
     The rubber seals all around the slide--and there are a lot of them--need to be frequently lubricated. I use Thetford Slid Out Rubber Seal Conditioner. I also use Boeshield T-9 Rust & Corrosion Protection on everything that slides like the screw drives under the slide and the large rod on the top left and right. An important part of the process is to remove anything (dirt, sticky stuff from previous sprayings, etc) off the sides of the slide. If you get rubber sealer on those big top rods, clean it off before treating with the lubricant.  I live in very dry Colorado so it is part of my annual routine when putting the PC to bed for the winter.
      The above mentioned rubber seal spray should be applied to ALL rubber seals--window/door frames, compartment seals, spare tire seal.
      One time I took it to an RV service center with an excellent reputation (not CW) and paid good money for a spring start up that was to include the above described.....NOT!

rvrunner

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2018, 09:38:42 pm »
My slide jerks a lot from start to finish, going in or out. I argued at the factory that it should be smoother but they insisted all there slide outs jerk. I should have looked at others when I was at the rally in Duluth but wasn't thinking of it at the time.

Lynn

rvrunner

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2018, 11:17:29 am »
Should I run the engine when putting the slide in and out?

Lynn

Cropduster

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 05/2015
  • ModelYear: 2002
  • IntColor: Brown
  • ExtColor: Brown
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2018, 06:03:01 pm »
Should I run the engine when putting the slide in and out?

Lynn

I believe on most slide-outs the electrical is handled by the RV battery.  Which is the case in our PC2100.  In my opinion, leveling the RV before extending the slide is more important.

jatrax

• John and Carrie
    • View Profile
    • Zigzag Mountain Art
  • PurchDate: November 2016
  • ModelYear: 2017
  • IntColor: Graystone
  • ExtColor: Graystone
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2018, 11:12:58 am »
Agree with Cropduster on the leveling before moving the slide.  Running the engine is not needed, unless your batteries are really low and that is the only way you have to charge them (unlikely).

Regarding the 'jerking' when moving keep in mind that Phoenix has used two different brands of slides.  Starting in 2017 they moved to a Schwintek one which operates differently than the old one.  The Schwintek does 'jerk' as it moves and that has nothing to do with the seals after the initial movement.  I went over this with Kermit at the factory and he told me that is the way the Schwintek works.

As to lubricating the seals and mechanism I was repeatedly told by several different people at the factory (including Kermit) that the gears and seals should absolutely NOT be lubricated in any way.  I have asked on three different occasions including my last stop there for repairs and got the same answer.

Now for those that DO lubricate seals and gears, I trust your experience and am not in any way trying to contradict your process.  Just repeating what the factory folks told me.

bftownes

• View Profile
    • The Road Goes on Forever and the Party Never Ends
  • PurchDate: September 27, 2018
  • Model: 3100
  • ModelYear: 2019
  • IntColor: Desert Sand
  • ExtColor: Toast
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2018, 11:35:57 am »
Agree with Cropduster on the leveling before moving the slide.  Running the engine is not needed, unless your batteries are really low and that is the only way you have to charge them (unlikely).

Regarding the 'jerking' when moving keep in mind that Phoenix has used two different brands of slides.  Starting in 2017 they moved to a Schwintek one which operates differently than the old one.  The Schwintek does 'jerk' as it moves and that has nothing to do with the seals after the initial movement.  I went over this with Kermit at the factory and he told me that is the way the Schwintek works.

As to lubricating the seals and mechanism I was repeatedly told by several different people at the factory (including Kermit) that the gears and seals should absolutely NOT be lubricated in any way.  I have asked on three different occasions including my last stop there for repairs and got the same answer.

Now for those that DO lubricate seals and gears, I trust your experience and am not in any way trying to contradict your process.  Just repeating what the factory folks told me.

Good info, John and thanks.  I will also ask for clarification when I take delivery of my PC next Thursday.

I am certainly interested in the proper procedure for deploying the slide.  On my previous motorhome, a Monaco diesel pusher, Monaco was adamant about the procedure...slide was deployed before emptying air bags and deploying levelers.  I fully understand that these are totally different beasts.  Monaco indicated that leveling could cause a slight twisting of the frame, thus affecting the slides cut out.  Monaco also indicated that slide gears and motors should NOT be lubed.  I'm starting to ramble and understand that this is not a Monaco board!   2o2

Finally, I am really looking forward to picking up my PC, but will admit that I am a bit apprehensive in working with DirecTV to get my system up and running.  That's discussion for a new topic.

Cheers  :)(:
Barry T

rvrunner

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2018, 04:43:04 pm »
Thanks Jatrax, I was told at the factory that all of them jerked but they didn't explain it as well as you did. I agree the seals and gears should not be lubed but I've been told the shaft on the motor should, what do you think?

Lynn

CalCruiser

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: November 2015
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2003
  • IntColor: Hickory/ Beige
  • ExtColor: Custom Ford colors- dark shadow grey & blue jeans metallic
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2018, 05:23:04 pm »
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 05:38:36 pm by CalCruiser »
Goin' where the wind goes...

bftownes

• View Profile
    • The Road Goes on Forever and the Party Never Ends
  • PurchDate: September 27, 2018
  • Model: 3100
  • ModelYear: 2019
  • IntColor: Desert Sand
  • ExtColor: Toast
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2018, 05:44:02 pm »
If in doubt ask LCI

https://youtu.be/8KbVRFMo1Rg

https://youtu.be/_TriNbci200

Good video. Kinda like lubing a Glock!  As far as the slide, I might as well be looking up a bullís behind!  Gib?  Iíll figger  it out when I actually can snoop around on mine.

Barry T

rvrunner

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2018, 06:43:25 pm »
Thanks for the replies. How often should you do the lubrication?

Lynn

RheaNL

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: October 4, 2012
  • ModelYear: 2013
  • IntColor: Dusk
  • ExtColor: Dusk lower
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2018, 09:55:35 pm »
JTrax, did they tell you why the slides and seals should not be treated/lubricated? Every manual I've read, many of the YouTube videos, and one talk at an RV show said the opposite. I've been doing it annually for the five years I've owned my PC and seems to be working fine. I cannot imagine no lubrication on those rubber seals in my dry Colorado climate.
Thanks for any details you can provide.

jatrax

• John and Carrie
    • View Profile
    • Zigzag Mountain Art
  • PurchDate: November 2016
  • ModelYear: 2017
  • IntColor: Graystone
  • ExtColor: Graystone
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2018, 10:39:18 pm »
JTrax, did they tell you why the slides and seals should not be treated/lubricated?
Sorry, no.  I am as puzzled as everyone else.  I quoted "internet wisdom" saying I should lubricate to them and I was emphatically told: NO.  When I asked again months later the answer was again no.

Wish I had a better answer.  My expectation was that the gears should get some type of lube and the seals some time of coating / conditioner.  But that is not what I was told. 

Will lubricating things do any harm?  I cannot imagine that unless the seal lubrication is something that reacts with the rubber seals poorly.