Hello Guest!

How Long Did You Originally Plan To Own Your PC?

• 17 Replies

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
How Long Did You Originally Plan To Own Your PC?
« on: July 10, 2017, 08:06:38 am »
Hello PC Family,

I thought this question will spark some interesting conversation.

Question #1 - Just before buying your Phoenix Cruiser (your first PC for you on #2 or more), how long did you think it would serve you?
Question #2 - Now that you owned it a while, do you feel the same?
Question #3 - How long have you owned your PC so far?
Question #4 - If you sold your first PC, how long did you own it for?

A few people here are on their second or even third PC.  One person might be buying his fourth PC.  For those people, feel free to answer the 4 questions on each one you've owned.

As for Irene and me, our original plan was to own our PC until we are too old and dangerous to drive it.  That was 10 years ago and we are still on-track.  We both turned 59 this year so we hope we have a long way to go.  Keeping any rig that long seems achievable for us given it is garage-kept, and we've been averaging only 3500 miles a year.  I could see one day far far away selling our brick-&-mortar house of which it might be beneficial to throw our PC into the deal to get our price, given the PC fit's inside the house.....one fancy appliance included.  :)

Ron Dittmer
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 08:44:14 am by ron.dittmer »
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

Janey

• View Profile
  • NewUsed: Used
  • PurchDate: 8/19/14
  • ModelYear: 2014
  • Slide: Yes
  • ExtColor: Cafe
Re: How Long Did You Originally Plan To Own Your PC?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2017, 08:32:18 am »
We've had our 3550 for three years.  I'm happy - I'll keep it forever.  It fits my needs exactly.  However, my husband wants to go a bit bigger - a 2551.  He'd like a better sleeping option and the bigger bathroom.  We'll just have to wait and see what happens.

Janey  (restless in Michigan)
Suzanna Jane (aka Janey) and Sid Shazly

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2017, 08:39:40 am »
We've had our 3550 for three years.  

Janey  (restless in Michigan)
Hi Janey,

I assume you meant 2350.  Before you actually bought it, how long did the two of you plan to own it?  Or was it not discussed?
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

randallandchris

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: June 2015
  • Model: 2400 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2015
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2017, 07:08:15 pm »
Well into our 3rd season or almost 10 months of daily use.  Thought it would be our last RV but still have a wish list.
Anyone buying new ask if an artic option is available with superior insulation in the walls and roof?
Also would want the upper cabinet doors to lift up like the one above the DVD player, tired of bumping our heads.
And a few more changes.

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2017, 10:26:16 pm »
Anyone buying new ask if an artic option is available with superior insulation in the walls and roof?
Also would want the upper cabinet doors to lift up like the one above the DVD player, tired of bumping our heads.
And a few more changes.

Hi Randall and Chris,

I know what you mean about bumping your head on open upper cabinet doors.  I do it once or twice per trip.  Top-hinged upper cabinet doors would surely save me some serious pain. On the other hand, or should I say the "Other Head", my wife Irene wouldn't want them because she'd have trouble opening and closing them with her short height.  We had them in our first rig and she struggled every time.

About the Arctic package, I think the best you can do about winter travel and insulation with a PC is to....
- get a small PC
- don't get any slide-outs
- get thermal pane windows
-  minimize your ceiling openings, see if you can manage with the quality ceiling fan placed in the bathroom and let that be your one and only
- if you are short enough, don't get the skylight in the shower
- eliminate the rear window, keep it solid fiberglass.  I have seen it done before.
- set yourself up with a real good quilted cold-air barrier across the backs of the two front seats.  Cold will water-fall over the barrier but it is much reduced compared to doing nothing.

The factory insulation in the floor, walls, and ceiling do a great job if cut and fitted between the studs properly.  Unfortunately you are at the mercy of line worker's level craftsmanship with block foam, and how detailed he feels like that day.  Now if the insulation was injected inside and allowed to expand the proper amount, that would be ideal.  But that process is a real science and each compartment between studs requires it's own amount, hence you won't be seeing that anytime soon at Phoenix.

Our 2007 2350 with no slide out and thermal pane windows is comfortable with outdoor temps at freezing 32.  We are kept warm when we have shore power for we pull out our little space heater and it does quite well.  Our furnace can cook us alive.  We makeshift a front seat barrier when needed but we really need something custom made to seal right and quilted to make a better thermal barrier.  When sleeping at night, we close our pleated white curtain and the furnace keeps the bedroom decently warm without running like crazy.  Of coarse pending how cold it really is outside.

One thing we have not done is "Winter-Camp".  My comments consider high altitude camping freezing at night, or freezing in the fall time of year.  Not ever below 30 degrees that I know of.
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

Janey

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 8/19/14
  • ModelYear: 2014
  • ExtColor: Cafe
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2017, 10:29:33 pm »
Oops!  Yup - I did mean the 2350!  I'm thinking we were just planning to keep it forever.
Suzanna Jane (aka Janey) and Sid Shazly

RheaNL

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: October 4, 2012
  • Model: 2100
  • ModelYear: 2013
  • IntColor: Dusk
  • ExtColor: Dusk lower
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2017, 11:17:21 pm »
Question #1 - Just before buying your Phoenix Cruiser (your first PC for you on #2 or more), how long did you think it would serve you?
                      First PC--2100--purchased in October 2012. Planned on it as the one and only
                      Yes, as long as there are two of us.
Question #3 - How long have you owned your PC so far?
                      4 1/2 years and 25,000 miles. Heading to Alaska in a week which will add 4,500-5,500 miles. We are taking ferry on return
                      otherwise mileage would be even higher.

As to the insulation discussion. We are in the cold (down to 20) and have been in the HOT (up to 112). Thermal pane windows and winterizing insulation would have been wonderful. How we compensate. Have insulated covers that Velcro on for the two fans and shower dome. Use electric heater when on shore power. Have made duct extension for furnace outlets when using it which helps disburse the heat better. Ron D. is correct about how it cycles--over heating and then not kicking on until cold. When possible at extremes we keep the slide in. Heat or AC functions much better.

As to the cabinet doors, I agree with Ron D.s wife, I am short and would struggle with awning style doors all around but my husband does bump his head regularly. I wish the small cabinets over our couch were 3-6 inches deeper. We have reversed the opening of the bathroom door and find it functions much better for our needs.

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2017, 07:32:41 am »
I wish the small cabinets over our couch were 3-6 inches deeper.
How deep are they?  What do they measure width and height?

We have no slide out with our dinette.  The cabinets over the dinette inside measurements are 81" wide x 15" deep x 13" tall (measured at the opening).  It spans from the fridge to the B+ left-side cabinet over the driver.  Because we have no pantry, we use them to store our food (the small stuff in $1 store crates) and a few unique cooking items & juice pitchers and such with plenty vacant space remaining for Irene's trip-treasure purchases.  It's those over-head cabinet doors left open that I have to watch out for or I'll hit them but good.

ADDING:  I took a few pictures of our over-the-dinette cabinets.
measurements taken at the opening:  81" wide x 13" tall x 15" deep

Used primarily for a pantry, the black plastic crates keep smaller items in place, nice for easy-out & access too.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 08:50:06 am by ron.dittmer »
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

WillLloyd

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: Feb/2017
  • Model: 2910
  • ModelYear: 2016
  • IntColor: Pebble
  • ExtColor: Grey
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2017, 07:01:23 am »
Like with boats, the perfect size RV is 2-feet bigger than what you have.

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2017, 07:48:03 am »
Like with boats, the perfect size RV is 2-feet bigger than what you have.
Or in my case 1 foot (a 2351).  But then again, maybe not.  I will never know for certain for the opportunity to trade-up isn't ever going to happen here with Irene and me.

I surely agree with you in that many people suffer from twofootitis.
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

JackD

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 2017 (latest)
  • Model: 2350 Sprinter
  • ModelYear: 2017
  • IntColor: Cherry
  • ExtColor: Greystone
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2017, 02:49:33 pm »
OK Ron, here we go!
First 2350 (2 yrs old) - didm't plan on change immediately. After 2 yrs wanted more room, so
2011, 2552 New - planned on keeping, but gas milage, plus seemed a little big, so
2012 - went to a 2400 Sprinter for milage, size and suspension. Didn't like the layout, so
2012 - 2350 Sprinter which we had for 3 yrs & enjoyed all over N. America, then, 2 dogs
2015 _ went to a 5th wheel which we are keeping for winters in FL, and as an apartment at wife's daughters farm (used to be ours)
2017 - back to the 2350 Sprinter for shorter trips (first is to the rally in OR from MD!!!) and fishing & State & NPs.  THIS IS THE LAST!!!
JacK
BTW, obviously very happy with Phoenix!!!

JOHN

• View Profile
  • OwnPC: No
  • PurchDate: pickup 10/2016
  • ModelYear: 2016 - 2351 Ford
  • IntColor: Nightscape
  • ExtColor: Standard Paint
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2017, 09:08:40 pm »
Hello PC Family,

I thought about buying my PC 2351 for about 8 mo.  It seemed to be the model that fit my needs looking for smallish, yet longer bed (Im 63).  I was hoping to like solo travels and meeting people at state parks, and all has worked out well.  I thought I might like for 5+/- years. 

I have had some nice trips and have New Mexico travel for late August and September and maybe a trip back to the factory in October with meandering to and fro from Austin, TX area for 40 days or so, a western to eastern loop.

Question #3 - How long have you owned your PC so far?  Bought factory direct, October 2016.
Question #4 - If you sold your first PC, how long did you own it for? NA so far.

Really enjoy both the solitude of a solo trips and folks you meet in the parks and then love when others join me both in the driving and hiking the parks, so far Big Bend, Palo Duro, Colorado Bend and Cap Rock (all TX parks). 
Went on family vacation with son and granddaughter to Hilton Head Island, 2 days of about 1400 miles each way.  Stayed in Cracker Barrel parking lots without power going and state parks with power returning, having power and AC in the South over July 4th week is a must.
Working on a trip for next Spring through Guadalupe Mountain on the way to Grand Canyon and Southern Utah.  Just breaking in my PC with 7,000 miles.

RheaNL

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: October 4, 2012
  • Model: 2100
  • IntColor: Dusk
  • ExtColor: Dusk lower
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2017, 11:11:24 pm »
In response to Ron D.s questions about the overhead cabinets....
     They are over the electric sofa in the slide. The inside is about 8" high (roof slops so higher at front) and 10 1/2" wide to door (3/4" less to inside of wall). They cannot be made any taller because of window location, but 3+ extra inches in width would be wonderful.
     Fiddling with them when taking photo reminded me of another reason I don't like the awning doors. The hings intrude into the storage area so things need to be arrange to avoid them. When stuff moves during travel, the hings have caught on baskets I use. Then I have to go in through another door and get it unhooked.

2 Frazzled

• View Profile
    • Spirit of the Woods
  • PurchDate: May 2013
  • Model: 2552
  • IntColor: Sunlit & Cherry
  • ExtColor: Sunlit
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2017, 06:50:10 am »
Re: overhead cabinets - over couch. There was a conversation on the forum somewhere about Phoenix installing deeper cabinets over the couch if requested. It wouldn't work over the dinette as there would be a substantial increase in head hitting. We've thought about asking to swap our cabinets out for deeper ones so boxes of cereal, crackers etc. fit up there but haven't gone that route yet. We store smaller items in the overheads and the tall stuff in the pull out pantry or shirt closet (neither of which are used for clothing).

Back to Ron's question - when we bought it was our intention to own the same unit until we can't or don't want to wander the country or live in the Phoenix anymore (hence the agonizing decision making up front - one shot deal). Even if we find our perfect retirement location and buy a house, we plan to keep the Phoenix with us so we can continue travel part time... until we can't or don't want to - safely.

We are happy with the layout and the quality. We are still stuck in Maryland but waiting for the time we get back on the road. We expect to have our granddaughter travel with us frequently and while the 2552 is tight for 3 (and 4 when she has a friend along), we manage it. We considered a bigger model but the math doesn't work out. We get more space for more people comfort but less weight allowance to carry those people and their things.

Our plan has not changed. Modifications will be made but we don't plan to get rid of the rig or trade to another unless something major forces us to.
John, Holly, and sometimes Chloe.
Travel Blog: Spiritofthewoods.net

ron-n-toni

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 8/3/2017
  • Model: 2552
  • ModelYear: 2017
  • IntColor: toast
  • ExtColor: toast
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2017, 08:10:41 am »
We spent three days at the Hershey show in 2015 looking for our "last best RV". We wanted a PC 2552 but the beds were too short for me (I'm 6'3") so we ordered our 2016 2351. About three months ago, we were passing thru Indiana and called the factory to get a few things fixed. Should've known better. Speaking to Earl, it was brought out that NOW, they make an extended 2552 with 80 inch beds. Oh well, our next "last best RV" is due to be finished next week. I just retired (I failed retirement twice before) from our family business and hope to put many miles on the last RV we will ever buy. HONEST.  roflol