• PurchDate: October 4, 2012
  • Model: 2100
  • ModelYear: 2013
  • Slide: Yes
  • IntColor: Dusk
  • ExtColor: Dusk lower
Re: Keyless Door Lock
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2017, 04:00:15 pm »
Though this topic was not about breaking and entering, it included that topic.  Therefore, I thought I would send the following info which I read on another forum out to everyone.  Food for thought for sure.
"Here’s a security issue that may make you want to change your RV locks. Police in Pennsylvania have arrested a former RV dealership employee from Ohio who used master keys to stealthily open doors on RV dealership lots and help himself to TVs and other electronic gear. By the use of the key, or keys, William E. Jenkins of North Canton left no trace of an illegal entry, save for the missing loot."

Carol

• View Profile
    • Aging on Wheels
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: July 2014
  • Model: 2351
  • ModelYear: 2014
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Greystone with Sterling Leather
  • ExtColor: Sterling simplified
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2017, 07:58:36 pm »
When my house door acted out and locked me outside of its own accord (my keys inside), an RV repairman staying at the campground used his master key to get me back in.  What I don't understand is the second lock or security bolt, whatever they call it.  It uses the same key as the regular lock next to it.  Where is the additional security in the (apparently very common) case of someone who has a master key?  Thanks for posting the useful info.  :)

2 Frazzled

• View Profile
    • Spirit of the Woods
  • PurchDate: May 2013
  • Model: 2552
  • ModelYear: 2013
  • IntColor: Sunlit & Cherry
  • ExtColor: Sunlit
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2017, 06:06:39 am »
The deadbolt is to prevent someone using a credit card or some such thin but sturdy item to pop the lock, not to deter someone with a key. I can pop a regular house lock in minutes with a credit card. If the door closes on its own without turning the knob, then it has the sloped bolt and can be popped. The deadbolt is straight and drives into the doorframe. It cannot be popped in this manner. Just to clarify, I learned the door lock skill after locking myself out of the house on numerous occasions. I started carrying those "sample" credit cards they send you so I didn't bend up my driver's license or legitimate credit card.

Someone skilled in lockpicks could get in even if you get the locks re-keyed. Most security measures stop or deter a casual thief. Few things stop a determined one. It's quite easy to pop the locks on the truck door, jimmy a window, etc.   

John, Holly, and sometimes Chloe.
Travel Blog: Spiritofthewoods.net

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2017, 06:35:09 am »
What I don't understand is the second lock or security bolt, whatever they call it.  It uses the same key as the regular lock next to it.  Where is the additional security in the (apparently very common) case of someone who has a master key?
Hi Carol,

All of the older PCs including our PC came with two different keys for the main entry door.  Let me tell you that it was ridiculous working the two different identical looking keys.  Trying to open the door in darkness was so hard that we entered through the van doors if the front curtain wasn't drawn.  I thought I came up with a good idea and made copies so the two keys didn't look or feel the same.  That helped only a tiny little bit.  A few years ago I had a Popeye moment and removed the lock assembly from the door.  I performed some surgery to get the tumblers out and had a locksmith re-key one lock to match the other.  The hassle completely went away.

During that same time I re-keyed the spare tire cover so it matched the other locks around the outside.  Going from 5 keys to 3 keys was one of my better modifications to our PC.  Now our camping key chains have two less keys to fumble through.
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

jim.godfrey

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: October 2019
  • ModelYear: 2020
  • IntColor: Desert Sand
  • ExtColor: Nightscape w/ Burgundy
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2020, 08:26:41 pm »
I've been looking at the Bauer EM for a replacement as part of my efforts to reduce key chain bulk.

I see on the Bauer site they have come out with a new Bluetooth version of their NE model lock.
It seems to have some great features including near field technology that lets you unlock the door with one button press in the presence of a paired cell phone.

Would love to get a Bluetooth model but I believe the EM (not the NE) is the drop in replacement  for our PCs.

Have tried a couple of emails to Bauer and will probably call them after the holidays to ask if they plan on making a Bluetooth EM model any time soon.

Posting here in case anybody else thinks this would be a desirable upgrade, maybe if they hear from more than one person it would be more likely to become a reality.

Also would love feedback from anyone that has experience with the Bauer EM Keyless Entry.

Thanks and Happy Holidays!

faiello

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 08/2019
  • ModelYear: 2019
  • IntColor: Graystone/Cherry
  • ExtColor: Graystone
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2020, 05:46:29 pm »
Jim,

I sent Bauer a message on the Bluetooth version also.

Frank
Frank & Beth

donc13

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 03/2015
  • Model: 2551
  • ModelYear: 2015
  • IntColor: Nightscape/Hickory
  • ExtColor: White/Nightscape
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2020, 07:54:37 pm »
I just looked at Bsuer's website, yes, as of now, they only list the NE model but if you look at the smartphone screen shot, it shows connection to NE-BLE2 and EM-BLE2

So I would presume there is an EM model coming soon.

I also noticed something interesting in their product support page where is shows the buttons and says 1 button for 1 or 2 (1|2) etc.  So use the same button for 1 or 2.   I have used the dual number buttons before and on those, you enter a 1 by pressing the left side of the button and 2 by pressing the right side of the button.  That is *probably* the way the Bauer buttons work also, but you wouldn't know that from their support page.  IF the support page is correct, you only have 4 x 4 x 4 x 4 (256) possible combinations.  If like the Ford keyless, then you have 8x8x8x8 or 4096 possible combinations.

Just saying...

---
Don and Patti

jim.godfrey

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2020, 07:55:26 pm »
Thank you Frank!!!  tymote

Don: Good eye on that "sneak preview " of what (hopefully) will come.

I tried to figure out if your possible combination count was accurate but my brain started hurting so I will take your word for it.  2o2
Guess it might be affected if there are any restrictions like not hitting the same button twice or possibly being able to use two button combinations like a Simplex lock.
Either way, I think it would do a pretty good job of keeping the casual thief out. A determined thief will find a way.
Thanks for your comments.  ;)

jim.godfrey

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2021, 10:41:50 am »
Woke up this morning to a nice Valentines Day present in my inbox from Bauer:

https://mailchi.mp/bauerproducts.com/valentines-day-specials?e=f6e37feca0

The EM latch just became available in Bluetooth!
Not only that but they are offering it today for a 25% discount.

I have ordered mine.

Price is 299, less 75 discount, plus 20 shipping and 15 tax = 260.26

jim.godfrey

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2021, 11:04:42 am »
Something I wanted to mention to anyone considering this upgrade (hope it proves to be an upgrade  :) )
The EM latch can be ordered keyed alike to your back and sliding draw slam latches for free.
They also sell replacement latches that replace the dreaded ch751 locks with the same key options.
This  helps debulk the keychain and adds a bit of security if you hadn't already replaced the ch751s.

faiello

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 08/2019
  • ModelYear: 2019
  • IntColor: Graystone/Cherry
  • ExtColor: Graystone
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2021, 03:07:18 pm »
Thank you Jim I ordered mine too!

Update: They were not able to match the locks on the slide draw and rear as they are Global locks not Bauer.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2021, 11:13:33 am by faiello »
Frank & Beth

garmp

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 3/20
  • Model: 2351
  • ModelYear: 2020 2351D
  • IntColor: Greystone
  • ExtColor: Jack Doub Grey/Greystone
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2021, 04:46:18 pm »
RheaNL, that's what we've been doing, the fake press, since we got ours. If someone is watching from the rear, my body blocks the view, so the line of sight must come on an angle. We fake press along side the numbers. A couple before the actual code and another one or two after.
Jack is what we call our PC 2351D, and he has taken us from campers to RV'ers and loving it. We're no longer Team Bob. Just Jack the RV!

Sparroweye

• View Profile
  • NewUsed: Used
  • PurchDate: 2020
  • ModelYear: 2009
  • IntColor: Maple cabinets, tan seats
  • ExtColor: Silver, black & grey
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2021, 11:48:02 am »
Thanks for the heads up Jim. Ordered mine. Looking forward to the huge up grade. FYI.....they are offering the same deal for Presidents Day !!!!

jim.godfrey

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2021, 04:43:15 pm »
Hope they work out for you guys as well as I anticipate!
Timing on this was uncanny, I was just about ready to give up and pull the trigger on the non Bluetooth version.
Patience is not my strongest virtue.  :-D
Then this came out and even cheaper than the original!

I ordered match keyed locks for the gasoline fill, outdoor shower, city water and gravity water fill doors. All matching my back and side drawer storage compartments slam latches.
Wish they made a replacement for the small side bins too.

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2021, 06:24:30 pm »
I shared this in the past.

On our 2007 2350, I managed to get our PC keys down to this which is very manageable.

1) The Ford key (van doors and ignition)
2) The smaller rectangular headed key is the entry door (both latch and deadbolt)
3) The smallest round-headed key is for everything else
It's good enough for Irene and me, feeling for the right key in the dark.

Unfortunately the tow vehicle and locks related to towing it, adds another 3 keys, so the over-all bunch is still a lot.  :'(
« Last Edit: February 15, 2021, 06:27:23 pm by Ron Dittmer »
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer