• PurchDate: October 4, 2012
  • Model: 2100
  • ModelYear: 2013
  • Slide: Yes
  • IntColor: Dusk
  • ExtColor: Dusk lower
Plumbing Problem
« on: March 31, 2017, 04:22:10 pm »
Last fall when winterizing one of the toggle levers on the hot water heater bypass came off.  I managed to get it closed with a screwdriver and completed winterizing. The small local shop we took it to said the only way to fix/replace it which requires getting the necessary crimpers in there is to pull the water tank (things are very tight in the 2100). That would be very expensive and I fear would create even more problems with the reinstall of the water tank.  I'm not even sure they could get the crimpers in to do that without removing a wall. This shop has not encountered this problem before so I may check with a larger shop (i.e. Camping World, but they are in Denver, a distance from me).

We purchased the PC new. This switch has only been turned 10 times (5 winterizations) and should never have fallen apart which leads me to believe it was defective. I will also check directly with the factory.....or if they read this post, they can contact me.

I can probably turn the valve with the same tool, but I believe it would leak when under pressure without that "O" ring that is on the lever.

Any and all suggestions would be most welcome.

Nicki

RheaNL

• View Profile
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: New
Re: Plumbing Problem
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2017, 04:32:09 pm »
Sorry there were duplicate photos in original post. Here is a photo of the errant lever where you can see the "O" ring.

Nicki

keelhauler

• View Profile
    • Our RV Page
  • PurchDate: 05/2012
  • Model: 2552
  • ModelYear: 2012
  • IntColor: Sunlit Maple
  • ExtColor: Sunlit - no paint
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2017, 10:19:56 am »
PC doesn't read and respond to posts here. I would suggest sending pictures and asking Kermit. They know their units better than anyone.

I had a bad rubber seal on my slide-out and asked a local dealer if he could fix it, he said it would take a week and cost a fortune. I called PC, brought it in and they fixed it in 4 hours. It required them taking out the whole slide-out to make the repair.

John

RheaNL

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2017, 10:25:19 am »
Thanks Keelhauler.  I do intend to contact the PC factory but taking the unit there now is not possible.  1,200+ miles from Colorado and in the wrong direction of all our travels this year. 

Doneworking

• View Profile
  • NewUsed: Used
  • PurchDate: September 2013
  • Model: 2350 Ford
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2017, 01:56:04 pm »
Nicki, if it were me and I was wanting to use my PC I would probably use the screwdriver, turn it to the on position and turn the other two valves appropriately as show in the manual to use the system.   I would hook up to the external water hose, turn it on very slightly and just see if it leaked.  You might be surprised that the part that popped off is the control handle and just a secondary retention "O" ring.  I don't know and can't tell from the pictures.   In any event, I would sure give it a try. 

If it does leak slightly, I would then dry it off absolutely completely and wrap it with something like EZ Fuse Tape (Walmart, Lowes, HD, etc.).   Water pressure in an RV should never be over 40 psi due to the regulators we all hopefully use on our water hoses and the water pump in the rigs won't exceed that normally either.   In any event, I would try it and see.  I would not be surprised if it did not leak once opened.   Who knows without trying?  Once the tape anneals it is pretty tough waterproof stuff.   You can always cut it off with a knife when you want to remove it. 

Paul

ragoodsp

• View Profile
  • OwnPC: No
  • PurchDate: May 5, 2012
  • Model: 3100
  • ModelYear: 2012
  • IntColor: cafe
  • ExtColor: cafe
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2017, 04:05:41 pm »
Doneworking has the right approach.....I would agree, I bet the valve will not leak with merely the handle missing.   Any good RV shop has the crimp tool and could get in there and replace the valve, it does not have to be the same style as OEM since you are merely looking to just shut the flow of water off and any 1/2" valve will do that.  Good luck
Ron Goodspeed