• PurchDate: 05/04/2016
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2016
  • Slide: Yes
  • IntColor: sand
  • ExtColor: sand
back up camera
« on: January 30, 2017, 03:00:09 pm »
I have a 2016 PC 2351 and am experiencing periodic problems with the back-up camera clarity.  Some days it's perfect and others it is like it is in a cloud of its own.  Has anyone else experienced this problem? 

ron-n-toni

• View Profile
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: 8/3/2017
  • Model: 2552
  • ModelYear: 2017
  • IntColor: toast
  • ExtColor: toast
Re: back up camera
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2017, 03:07:00 pm »
I removed my camera system due to a bad reflection on the in dash "upgrade" radio in my 2016 2351. Installed a wireless system from Tadi.  You are welcome to my old camera if you find you need it. (Disclosure- I did cut the wire)

Doneworking

• View Profile
  • NewUsed: Used
  • PurchDate: September 2013
  • ModelYear: 2013
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2017, 05:52:32 pm »
My PC came with a hardwired Sony and it not a good system.   It is just poor in quality of picture.  I am curious what  Tadi system you installed.  Did you just cut the existing wires and power from there or how did you do it?   I don't want to go through another season with this camera.  Also, where did you mount the monitor?

Paul

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2017, 07:04:57 pm »
I have a 2016 PC 2351 and am experiencing periodic problems with the back-up camera clarity.  Some days it's perfect and others it is like it is in a cloud of its own.  Has anyone else experienced this problem?  
Based on your description of "in a cloud", it sounds like condensation (dew) on the lens.  Wipe the camera lens clean and see if it's all good.
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

gradygal

• our 3rd PC--Custom 2910
    • View Profile
  • PurchDate: March 2012
  • Model: 2910
  • IntColor: cherry
  • ExtColor: slate gray full body paint
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2017, 07:31:52 pm »
 If you pull the camera cord out from the rear cap you will find the connection plug. There are 4 screws to remove the camera face. Clean and dry the inside. Reseal with sealer. This may improve the screen.
Judi and George Nicholson
Punta Gorda FL

donc13

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 03/2015
  • Model: 2551
  • ModelYear: 2015
  • IntColor: Nightscape/Hickory
  • ExtColor: White/Nightscape
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2017, 02:13:17 pm »
I have a 2016 PC 2351 and am experiencing periodic problems with the back-up camera clarity.  Some days it's perfect and others it is like it is in a cloud of its own.  Has anyone else experienced this problem? 

Call Phoenix.. You are still under warranty.

---
Don and Patti

ron-n-toni

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 8/3/2017
  • ModelYear: 2017
  • IntColor: toast
  • ExtColor: toast
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2017, 08:46:40 am »
Have you noticed that while trying to back into a small site, at night, with people watching, after a long, long travel day; that your wife, while trying to help you back in, hides behind the camper and yells things you cannot understand. So I replaced my backup camera with a TADI BROS 7 inch digital wireless 130 degree with audio #SKU90121. Now I can see her with the IR and hear what she is saying. Expensive at $449.00 but a marriage saver. I used the camera power wire already installed in rear cap and cut into the same wire under the dash for monitor power. But I mounted the monitor on the flat area just under the TV. Still had a little reflection so I just turned the monitor up side down as there is a small visor on the monitor which is now on the bottom. Perfect. ((hug))

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2017, 11:39:10 am »
In our old 2007, we have the original Zone Defense backup camera.  It has sound and it worked great for years.  Then some years ago the sound died.  I always thought it was a spider or dirt in the opening for the mic.  The problem is that I never could get an answer where the mic hole is.

Like you say, it's great to clearly hear your spouse give instruction.
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

Two Hams in a Can

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: December 20, 2016
  • Model: 2400 Sprinter
  • ModelYear: 2012 PC 2400 Sprinter
  • IntColor: Cherry
  • ExtColor: Rust
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2017, 12:09:15 pm »
These have been our "marriage saver"   ((hug)) since we started RVing in 2001  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001WMFYH4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1  Just sayin'. . .    :)(:
Jeff and Suzanne traveling with the Cocker Spaniel sisters, Scout & Sydney in Fawkes the Phoenix 
"What happens in vagueness stays in vagueness"

2 Frazzled

• View Profile
    • Spirit of the Woods
  • PurchDate: May 2013
  • IntColor: Sunlit & Cherry
  • ExtColor: Sunlit
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2017, 07:14:14 am »
We tried the open window with (loud) voice commands, we tried the walkie-talkies, and we watched other people yelling and fighting as they backed into their sites. We made a deal that we would NOT entertain the campground and we have developed hand signals. John DOES NOT back up unless he has eye contact with me in his mirror. When he loses sight of me, he brakes and waits (my fault, I move out of view). Then he follows my hand signals exactly and immediately (This means hitting those brakes instantly if I give the "stop" signal). We've gotten really good at it and have maneuvered silently into some really tough spots (seriously, how many sites need three hard turns while backing between trees and under branches... in the middle of the night?) It works for us. I won't say we have NEVER had conversations that entertain other campers but most of the time they don't even know we've rolled unless they are watching at the right moment.

We also NEVER let anyone else direct us in. If they insist (and some have), I stand beside them and John follows me, not them. They might not like it but we've seen helpful camp hosts back people into tree branches and off the camping pad. We know our rig and we know where we want to sit in a site so we are the best people to direct her in.
John, Holly, and sometimes Chloe.
Travel Blog: Spiritofthewoods.net

jimmer

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 5 / 2016
  • Model: 2700
  • ModelYear: 2006
  • IntColor: BLUE/OFF WHITE/MAPLE
  • ExtColor: WHITE OVER BLUE
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2017, 11:15:09 am »
2Frazzled Holly,  I,  and maybe others would be interested in your  hand signals ?    What about at night with limited light,  in the glow of the back-up lights ?     Lantern ?

2 Frazzled

• View Profile
    • Spirit of the Woods
  • PurchDate: May 2013
  • IntColor: Sunlit & Cherry
  • ExtColor: Sunlit
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2017, 12:39:21 pm »
Basic hand signals like they use parking an airplane (if you've ever watched out the airport window). At night I hold a flashlight in my left hand pointed at myself and then signal with my right. The only flashlights we carry are headlamps so I wrap the strap around my hand so I don't drop it.

Hand signals are hard to type out but I'll give it a go (note that the double hand signals go to single hand at night due to the flashlight):

Hooking up the toad:
Light check is performed with me standing behind and to the left of the back end of the tow vehicle. John is leaning in and out of the driver's door working the lights and brakes and looking back at me. He can also be inside and watching out the mirror in bad weather. John turns on one signal and waits for my response to verify it is working.
- right hand signal means passenger side and left hand is driver's side (I'm standing so this makes sense, I am the tow vehicle - facing John)
- right hand up opening and closing like a sock puppet talking means the right / passenger side blinker is working
- left hand up opening and closing like a sock puppet means the left / driver side blinker is working
- both hands up opening and closing mean both are blinking - hazard lights
- two hands up, palm toward John means brake lights are working (same signal as "stop")
Second tow vehicle check is to verify the lock in of the tow bars. For this I stand on the passenger side so I can see the tow bars and the passenger side mirror where John's little face shows. He is in the driver's seat. DO NOT stand between the vehicles. At this point we've been in the toad to verify the ignition is set to accessory, the display panel is off so it doesn't suck power from the car battery, we are in neutral and the emergency brake is off. If we are using our brake assist, we throw that switch. When I give the signal, John pulls forward slowly until we are locked on and I walk and pace the vehicles watching the lock on levers for the tow bars.
- right arm with pointer finger out cocks up at the elbow then points to the front of the rig, this means "go" - start moving forwards slowly to lock on
- pointing toward the street/drivers side means turn that way
- pointing back at me, passenger side means turn my way
- left thumb up means left side is locked on
- right thumb up means right side is locked on
- two thumbs up means good to go - John stops moving, I check the house door on the way by, hop in the passenger seat and away we go.

Backing in - very similar - NEVER stand behind the rig.
- two hands up, palms out means STOP - fast "pounding" of those flat hands on an invisible wall means STOP NOW!!!! (John is really good at this)
- rolling the left arm toward myself in the air in a not so sexy "come hither" movement means back her up (John has already set the wheels to turn into the space)
- point to the rear of the rig and use to hands to "push" the back end away from me means turn harder to shift the tail away from me
- point to the rear of the rig and use hands to "pull" toward me means shift angle of tires to move tail toward me
- holding one arm up with finger pointed to the heavens and rotated like I am twirling a lasso means turn harder (combine this with the pushing or pulling motion first to indicate which direction you want the rig to turn if you need to angle a different way
- two hands with fingers pointing to the heavens moving forward then back means ease her back straight (no more turn on the wheels)
- "stop" signal followed by "go forward" signal (cocking arm then pointing toward front of rig) mean pull forward a little to try again or adjust
- as we near the stopping point (and well before we hit anything) I face him and hold my arms apart to indicate 3 more feet, 2 more feet, etc. and he eases back
- the "stop" signal (two hands up palms out) followed by one finger up means "give me a minute" - he puts the rig in park and waits until I return to his mirror view. I walk the back of the rig, check the picnic table side, double check branches, the alignment of slide to power post, etc. If I need to talk to John, I go to his window and we discuss any issues with placement. Then I return to either shift him to our agreed upon location or he shuts her down.
- two thumbs up, all is well, shut her off

I hope this helps. Note that I stop John before each major "jog." We backed into one difficult "Z" shaped site, at night, tight with trees and branches and passing less than 5 feet from the rig with open windows on a buddy site and they were totally shocked - they never heard us come in. That was one of our toughest sites to date.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 07:15:20 am by 2 Frazzled »
John, Holly, and sometimes Chloe.
Travel Blog: Spiritofthewoods.net

jimmer

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 5 / 2016
  • Model: 2700
  • ModelYear: 2006
  • IntColor: BLUE/OFF WHITE/MAPLE
  • ExtColor: WHITE OVER BLUE
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2017, 10:21:03 pm »
VERY IMPRESSIVE !!    Thanks  2Frazzled  for your detailed  description.    You  should write a book or something !
I can't wait to have my wife  learn these  !

BuffaloRose

• Earl & Rose
    • View Profile
  • PurchDate: 3/3/2014
  • ModelYear: 2010
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2017, 10:28:35 pm »
We fixed our problem with letting me do the backing.  I won't move until my husband motions.  Very little speaking cause he can't hear and I refuse to move until he tells me which way to turn the wheels. It works cause it's the only time he gets to tell me what to. Lol
BuffaloRose