Hello Guest!

Euro chair

• 14 Replies

TomHanlon

Euro chair
« on: August 11, 2015, 12:31:28 pm »
OK, the question came to me, do you secure the Euro chair to the floor when traveling, and how?
We use a small dog collar that is bolted to the floor. I don't see anything moving around and I am wondering if I really need to bolt it down. I realize it is safer if I do.

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
Re: Euro chair
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2015, 12:57:25 pm »
Am I correct in stating that regardless how the euro chair is mounted, it is never to be used when the vehicle is in-motion?
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

gl1500

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: May. 2014
  • Model: 2551
  • ModelYear: 2551/2014
  • Slide: Yes
  • IntColor: Hickory
  • ExtColor: Cafe'
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2015, 01:04:16 pm »
Tom,
    On our Euro chair, it was secured to the floor with a device that had a spin on/off knob.  You definitely want it secured because if you are involved in an accident  that chair becomes a lethal flying object.  Also, any sharp evasive maneuver can cause it to fly loose.  I would check with PC about their securing device.
    The chair is not to be used when the vehicle is in motion.  There is no safety belt for it because it is not rigidly mounted to the floor.  On our one unit we had a third captains chair installed for our granddaughters baby seat and we had a regular car lap belt installed.  Lap belt can only be installed on a securely mounted seat.
    Bob

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2015, 02:06:02 pm »
So why doesn't Phoenix mount the euro or other captain seat with a seat belt so that it can be used during travel?

To you people with the euro seat, do you like to move it about the cabin, or could you easily keep it in the clamp-down position?  Is having the seat mobile, worth the sacrifice of a 3rd travel seat?

I see it being real nice if the euro-seat could be brought outdoors.  Does it get through the door easily?
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

TomHanlon

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2015, 04:38:52 pm »
Bob I use the bolt that Phoenix used, without the clamp. I bought a small dog collar, put the bolt through the "D" ring and secured it to the floor. We run the dog collar under and over the chair's base ring and snap the collar shut. It is much easier than the clamp as you have some play with the position of the chair. As heavy as the chair is, I think it would take a lot to make it a flying object.

Ron, when the chair is secured it sits real close to the wing and the wall. One can sit in it but to lean back requires the chair be moved. It just slides on the floor. Then you can lean back and extend the foot rest. On my 2350 I followed your lead and replaced the barrel chair with a captians chair. I think the Euro chair is much more confortable than the captians chair and it can be moved where ever I want it.

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2015, 04:41:35 pm »
Got it!

If you wanted, could you easily get it outside?
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

TomHanlon

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2015, 07:25:04 pm »
It is heavy and would need two people to move it through the door.

GoPhoenix

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 12/2010
  • Model: 3100
  • ModelYear: 2011
  • IntColor: Slate grey/Cherry
  • ExtColor: Full body grey
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2015, 07:55:36 pm »
We have a euro chair, not secured.  We do move it around when camping and it has to be moved in order to use the sofa bed.  When traveling, it rests up against the passenger seat.  I recline in it using the rotated passenger seat as a foot rest.  It would not fit through the entry door Ė had to put it through the passenger door with both it and the passenger seat in the reclined position.  That was fun!   woot
I remember very few of the things that Iíve spent money to buy, but I remember all of the places that Iíve spent money to see.

bhgareau

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 05/12
  • Model: 2400 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2012
  • IntColor: dusk
  • ExtColor: sterling
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2015, 09:20:27 pm »
We have 2 Euro chairs that we move in and out thru the passenger door. Extraction and  insertion of the chairs is a bit awkward but gets easier with practice. We make decisions on use/not use based on where we are headed and for how long. Most of the time we leave one at home. The wife prefers the couch and I use the other one to work at the desk/table that comes with the 2400. We keep the chair firmly secured when traveling using the Phoenix provided bolt clamp. I am of the opinion based on a close call with a chair that had not been secured that it is much safer to clamp the chair down securely when the coach is in motion. We clamp it in as part of the pre departure checklist and unclamp it when we set up for the night. Full use of the chair features is not practical while the chair is secured to the floor at least in the 2400 configuration.

Pax

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2015, 08:43:17 am »
We use the provided clamp to secure our Euro chair.

We've never taken it outside, but do move it around inside for various purposes.  Having a stairwell cover gives you a bit of extra room for this.

- Mike

David J. Rotelle

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2015, 12:24:35 pm »
I recently removed our Euro Chair and replaced it with a permanently mounted captains chair. I didn't spend a whole lot of time trying to get it out the door before I decided the base had to come off.  It only took a few minutes and it made it a lot easier to remove the chair.
The captains chair we purchased came with brackets for a seat belt but the seat belt has to be purchased separately.

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2015, 03:04:29 pm »
I recently removed our Euro Chair and replaced it with a permanently mounted captains chair....The captains chair we purchased came with brackets for a seat belt but the seat belt has to be purchased separately.
You are the first person I know of who replaced his Euro-chair in a new rig, with a fixed-mount captain seat with seat belts.

If you had known that before taking delivery, you could have requested Phoenix replace your Euro chair with a matching 3rd captain seat with seat belts, I believe at no additional cost to you.

I know it is water over the dam for you.  I mention this primarily for prospective buyers considering the same.

Our 2007 2350 came with the old style low back barrel chair, impossible to relax in and not very safe to ride in either.  Phoenix hooked me up with the seat supplier Paul's Seating.  I ordered the seat from Paul's, had it delivered, reused the pedestal and seat belt and it turned out great.  I recall the seat with manually adjustable lumbar support and two armrests, with delivery was $475.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 03:06:09 pm by ron.dittmer »
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

David J. Rotelle

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2015, 03:35:57 pm »
Hello Ron,

I used the picture you have posted above to determine where to mount our pedestal. We purchased the captains chair and pedestal that swivels from Brad and Hall. I expected to have to mount the pedestal to the chair but they shipped it to us ready to go. The set up we have now is very much like the one we had in our Born Free.

The Euro Chair is comfortable but the base takes up a lot of room and it was difficult to sit at the flip up table I built.  I'd like to post some pictures sometime it looks really sharp.

I understand you are getting ready to go on a trip soon.

Hope you have a safe trip!

Dave

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2015, 04:09:18 pm »
Thanks Dave for the well wishes.
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

rstng8

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: December 2013
  • ModelYear: 2014
  • IntColor: Hickory
  • ExtColor: Sunlit
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2015, 03:37:36 pm »
We carefully took the Euro-chair out the side door and replaced it with a four drawer chest. We have a year 2014 - Model 2350 with a slide out, which takes away a tremendous amount of cabinet storage above the couch.
Anyone interested in a new leather Euro-chair?
Thanks, Jan
E-Mail: jparn848@yahoo.com