• OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: Used
  • PurchDate: September 2013
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2013
  • Slide: Yes
DC power Use and Store switch
« on: July 10, 2015, 04:17:22 pm »
Our 2350 has a Intellitec BDO power switch to turn the 12 volt DC circuits on and off.  It is located just above the inside step coming into the unit.  I think all PCs are laid out about the same.  On two  occasions lately, I have had the solenoid fail to engage properly thus when I push the "use" denying the coach DC power.  Thus far, I have been able to turn it off and on a couple of times and get it to catch.  On line research indicates this is a simple power solenoid with an electrically operated latching switch to turn on the DC.  That is assuming this non engineer is guessing and interpreting with a bit of luck.  :help

The online graphics show two wires coming in from the switch by the door and then a large heavy duty terminal on either side for the  DC source from the batteries in and out, thus just four connections.  The switch and light at the door appear to be a simple pilot light display and a DPDT or some similar switch to send DC to activate the solenoid and deactivate it by reversing polarity.

Here are my questions:  

1.  Has anyone else had any problems with this use/store switching device?  

2.  Have you replaced the solenoid?  

3.  I think it is located under the bed and it will take the help of my wife to turn it off and on before I can tell for sure.  Does anyone know where it is on a 2350?

We are leaving on a  boondocking trip in a few days and are going to be totally off the grid and DC dependent.

4.  Anyone have a thought if  - in an emergency - the switch and solenoid could be bypassed and the two power wires coming into and out off the solenoid just temporary spliced together to provide full time DC until our trip is over?   I don't have time to order the switch and install it or have it checked out by someone before we leave on our trip. AND it is now engaged and all is well......I just don't want that puppy to disengage and leave us without power a long way from anywhere and that is where we will be for a while.

I know nothing about this circuit because this is the first time I have ever experienced this problem in any of our rigs over the years.  It just seems logical but logic and  electrical can get a guy in trouble, so I ask for your input.

Paul
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 04:21:26 pm by Doneworking »

jt

• View Profile
  • NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: 05/14
  • ModelYear: 2014
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Pebble
  • ExtColor: Sunlit
Re: DC power Use and Store switch
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2015, 06:23:33 pm »
Don't know if this will help any, but we had all kinds of problems with the solenoid on our 2006 Model 2350 PC. Awakened one night with the strong odor of burning wires, we found the solenoid had fried itself. Our RV repair shop could find no problems, and we replaced the solenoid. Over the period of a few months we had to replace the solenoid two more times. No one, including Kermit, had any ideas about the reason for the failures. Finally, we replaced the solenoid with a heavy duty rotary switch mounted in the compartment where the solenoid was originally placed. No problems after that. So far, our new 2014 2350 PC has not shown this problem--we keep out fingers crossed!

Bob Mahon

• View Profile
  • NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: 6/2011
  • Model: 2552
  • ModelYear: 2011
  • IntColor: Tan/Gray/Cherry
  • ExtColor: Lower Slate Gray
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2015, 10:11:03 pm »
I never had a problem with our 3 PC systems but I did with one of our boats. I replaced the switch and solenoid with a Marine battery isolator and problem solved....forever.
Carry on, regardless..................
"In God we trust" to save our country and bring our troops safely home.

Pax

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2015, 08:00:43 am »
Hasn't happened to us yet, and I won't be much help here except to suggest calling Kermit or the Intellitec RV products technical helpline (Mark Bayus 419 965 3014). Probably a long shot since it is the weekend and all.

- Mike

Doneworking

• View Profile
  • NewUsed: Used
  • PurchDate: September 2013
  • ModelYear: 2013
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2015, 10:16:47 am »
Thanks for your responses.  Since the switch is currently engaged and working (latched mechanically in the "on" position in the solenoid apparently) I think I will just forget about it and as suggested call Intellitec if it goes out on this trip.   When you boondock like we do, at times you don't have a cell signal for quite some time.  SO, we always prepare for the unexpected as best we can and hope for the best.   

Thanks again,

Paul