• OwnPC: No
  • NewUsed: New
  • Model: None
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Desert Sand-Hickory
  • ExtColor: Desert Sand-Lower
PC Quick Look
« on: March 23, 2015, 01:18:46 pm »
Finally! got to see a PC in person last week. We made a quick overnight stop at LazyDays RV in Tampa and I took a little stroll around the lot. Actually saw 2 of them but one was locked.
I was really impressed with the wood work quality and the Ultraleather chairs and couch, (desert sand, cherry wood), not my optimal color combo but still beautiful nonetheless.

As a side note, while walking I noticed a noise coming from a Coach House class C sitting there, it was running and was HOT, not overheated but obviously had been running awhile. Told the security guard who acted like, no big deal, and she said she'd been there for 6 hours on her shift and that it had probably been running since that morning. It was 730pm.....nice. Lazydays impressed us as a huge out of control RV superstore. Employees that couldn't care less. We ran into a couple of them that when asked a simple question, looked like deer staring into headlights  :beg
Bob & Sharon
Current: 2013 Winnebago ERA Class B Sprinter Van
Future: 2100 special, 2350, ?? on a hopefully Ford Transit 350 or 450

Idjit

• View Profile
  • Model: 2910
  • Slide: Yes
Re: PC Quick Look
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2015, 02:49:30 pm »
If you have any interest in PC you should take the time and go to the factory. You will find that it is an experience like no other in the RV world.

No "deer in the headlights" there. All the employees are extremely knowledgeable and will take time to talk to you and explain anything you are curious about.

Well worth the trip to Indiana.

bobojay

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2015, 08:12:15 pm »
Idjit, when PC starts building on the Transit or F series chassis, we'll be there....it'll be awhile
Bob & Sharon

Pax

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2015, 09:24:02 pm »
Wonder who will be buying up every E450 they can get their hands on?

donc13

• View Profile
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • PurchDate: 03/2015
  • Model: 2551
  • ModelYear: 2015
  • IntColor: Nightscape/Hickory
  • ExtColor: White/Nightscape
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2015, 09:20:17 am »
Ford says they will keep making the E Series cutaways for as long as there is a market for them.   Only the actual Econoline vans will no longer produced.

Don
---
Don and Patti

bobojay

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2015, 10:43:25 am »
Yep, Ford says. The market is dwindling for the E series as the Transit takes over some duties and a lot of public safety entities are adopting to the new F-series chassis cabs and Chevy/GMC 4500's.

The Econoline vans haven't been produced for over a year now....
Bob & Sharon

Joseph

• View Profile
  • NewUsed: Used
  • PurchDate: 3/7/2015
  • Model: 2552
  • ModelYear: 2011
  • IntColor: Tan/Cherry
  • ExtColor: Gray / White
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2015, 05:11:37 pm »
Is there a reason the F series couldn't be used? Allows for heavier load and the higher displacement V10.

ragoodsp

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: May 5, 2012
  • Model: 3100
  • ModelYear: 2012
  • IntColor: cafe
  • ExtColor: cafe
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2015, 07:33:24 am »
I bet Kermit is working on something despite his claim to the contrary.  The F series would be a super option for a little longer PC.  I would be interested in such a model.   Wait and see I guess.
Ron Goodspeed

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2015, 12:40:01 pm »
Ford says they will keep making the E Series cutaways for as long as there is a market for them.   Only the actual Econoline vans will no longer produced.

Don
I would imagine this to be true, but as the tooling gets worn and demand drops, those two factors in combination could prematurely end E350/E450 cut-away production.  It seems the motor home industry could revert back to the 70's, forced to offer smaller B+/C rigs than currently offered.

I grew up in Chicago in the 70's with our neighbor's motor home always parked across the street.  It was built on a long step van, I assume because the cut-away back then could not handle the weight.  The typical class C back then were all made very short, most common on the Dodge, but some on Fords and Chevys too.  Then came the tag axle to make them longer.  Eventually the industry migrated into what we have today, soon to revert back due to fuel economy.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 12:44:20 pm by ron.dittmer »
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

Joseph

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2015, 04:57:29 pm »
The Lincoln town car is an example of how things can change. They were going to stop production of this model and announced the last years production for any company wanting them. However the Livery services went nuts. Ford motor CEO Alan Mulally and the BOD's were convinced, they shut down production for one year, moved the line and updated the tooling.  One never knows!

The F series has some perks, one being they can use the higher performance V10 or a Power stroke Diesel. The Diesel wouldn't be as loud in the F series so that's a plus as well for Diesel fans. It also has drawbacks, one being length. With the F series the over all length changes on all models of any brand using it.

Joseph

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2015, 05:15:34 pm »

Don
[/quote]I would imagine this to be true, but as the tooling gets worn and demand drops, those two factors in combination could prematurely end E350/E450 cut-away production.  It seems the motor home industry could revert back to the 70's, forced to offer smaller B+/C rigs than currently offered..
[/quote]

I'm not so sure going smaller is a bad thing. Its one of the reasons I went with the PC. Everywhere I go I see monster rigs. In most cases its hard for me to imagine they are really needed by most. That aside we have ways of justifying why we do things.  At the last campground we hit on our way back from Canada we were the smallest unit there. Every rv there was over 36 feet. One 5th wheel was a 38 footer with 5 slides. Beautiful but HUGE. I was the runt of the litter and kind of liked it.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 05:23:43 pm by Joseph »

Dale and Cindy

• We're holding piece of glacier from background.
    • View Profile
  • PurchDate: July 2014
  • Model: 2350 Sprinter
  • ModelYear: 2015
  • IntColor: Graystone
  • ExtColor: Full Body Paint - Graystone
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2015, 06:06:31 pm »
Oh yes. . . . I really like being the "runt of the litter" in our PC 2350.  Dale and I still have our 35 foot fifth wheel, but we have it planted permanently as a vacation home at a camping resort about an hours drive from our home.  I loved our "big rig" fifth wheel, it was like a traveling apartment, but I hated towing it.  I was always a nervous wreck because towing something that long requires a lot of work figuring out and knowing what gas stations can accommodate your size.  Also, you can't just pull off the highway and explore, or stop at a restaurant, or visit a grocery store.  You always need to know where you are going.  I learned really fast that our Fifth Wheel did not allow for a lot of flexibility.  I love the flexibility of our PC and couldn't be happier!

Joseph

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2015, 11:49:04 pm »
Dale and Cindy, we have gotten rid of all our properties other than our retirement home in  La Quinta / Indio  (Palm Springs). I'm coming up on retirement soon. I've spent so much time over seas it will be nice to spend some time seeing this beautiful country. After all that time in foreign lands I learned first hand bigger is not better and not required.  Well except for all the time I spent in the middle Eastern countries. That's an entirely different world.

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2015, 10:00:18 am »
For us, we made a decision 30 years ago to build our primary home/house in a vacation-like setting to get away to home so-to-speak.  We built it with a small motor home in-mind.  So getting away from the get-away, our 2350 has been just the right means for road trips.  We also enjoy 7 day cruises to mix it up.

If we went "huge", we'd be cashing in everything and call that our permanent residence.  But I don't see that happening.  Yet never say never.
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

Joseph

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2015, 11:16:18 am »
Ron, I'm on the same page. However out of all of my friends that have bought RVs I'm the only one. They all went 34 to 40 plus with three plus slides. Mind you none of them full time, just weekends and a week or two here and there. And most of them have the footer illness. They wish they had a foot or two more. It's ok and their choice isn't wrong by any means. It's just wrong for us.