Hello Guest!

Automatic Transmission Fluid ATF Level

  • 8 Replies
  • 126 Views
*

Taildragger

  • *****
  • 214
    • View Profile
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: Used
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Maple / Desert Sand
  • ExtColor: Greystone
  • Location: Alaska
Automatic Transmission Fluid ATF Level
« on: October 03, 2026, 11:03:19 am »
The ATF Dipstick in my FORD E350 V10 equipped 5 Speed Transmission contradicts the one pictured in the Owner's Manual.  Which one to believe?  The cross hatched area representing the Operating Range is an inch long space located within a half inch of the end.  The supposed ATF Dipstick, depicted in the Owner's Manual, is divided into HOT and COLD and appears to encompass several inches overall.

Another gripe is routing for the fanbelt.  Both the graphic displayed on the radiator and the alternatives in the manual don't match actual.

I could fill the rest of this page with how disappointed I am with the glaring discrepancies represented in the Owner's Manual.  And, the FORD Dealerships refusing any willingness to help RV mounted chassis.

*

heisthl

  • ***
  • 19
    • View Profile
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: Used
  • PurchDate: April 30th 2024
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2005
  • Slide: Yes
  • IntColor: Green
  • ExtColor: White/Green
  • Location: CO
Re: Automatic Transmission Fluid ATF Level
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2026, 08:30:39 pm »
what year is your RV?

*

Ron Dittmer

  • *******
  • 5733
  • Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
  • Location: N/E Illinois
Re: Automatic Transmission Fluid ATF Level
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2026, 09:07:07 am »
What year and model is your Ford chassis?  In 2008, Ford changed the 5-speed transmission filtering, going from both an internal (behind the pan) and external bell jar, to a single internal filter (behind the pan).  The change has me wondering if the dipstick is also different.  Maybe someone replaced dipsticks?????
« Last Edit: October 04, 2026, 09:11:57 am by Ron Dittmer »
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

*

Taildragger

  • *****
  • 214
    • View Profile
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: Used
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Maple / Desert Sand
  • ExtColor: Greystone
  • Location: Alaska
Re: Automatic Transmission Fluid ATF Level
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2026, 11:07:02 am »
I have the 2009 and newer Auto Transmission with the "Short Neck" filter.  This is the second Phoenix Cruiser that I purchased.through Campers World.  And, for some reason, their universal company policy seems to remove, or obliterate, any maintenance records. Not suspicious they are hiding something, I still change all the fluids, check the brakes, grease the bearings, to prepare for cross country travel.

That was two and a half years ago.  I now have over nineteen thousand miles on the ATF, filter, and pan gasket.  No problem, until this week driving across the Idaho desert between Pocatello and Boise, the stupid "Check ..Engine"  IDIOT LIGHT illuminated.  No idea what that is supposed to mean?  Everything is working normally.  The FORD Owners Manual doesn't offer a list of possible problems to check.  I checked fuses.  I did the stop / start engine cycle.  I looked at the engine compartment.  I looked underneath everything.  Nothing was spewing out. 

Plenty of motor oil.  The ATF level was inside the cross hatch.  Cross referencing the Manual, I see a completely different dip stick pictured.  According to the comparison, possibly I was low  Rather than be stranded along the interstate with nothing around in sight except dehydrated sage brush, I drove thirty miles and purchased a quart of fluid. Cautious about the threat from over filling, I added about a pint in three increments.  The Idiot Light was pacified.

Depending on the error filled FORD manual, the system holds 18.8 quarts   You Tube, an unassailable resource, tells the dry system holds 17.5 quarts. My question is: should I believe an Idiot Light sensor on the transmission is capable of perceiving such a miniscule amount?

*

CalCruiser

  • ******
  • 689
    • View Profile
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: Used
  • PurchDate: November 2015
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2003
  • Slide: Yes
  • IntColor: Hickory/ Beige
  • ExtColor: Custom Ford colors- dark shadow grey & blue jeans metallic
  • Location: SoCal
Re: Automatic Transmission Fluid ATF Level
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2026, 03:16:04 pm »
Have you searched Ford Truck forums? There’s a wealth of knowledge from SD F- series truck guys.
Goin' where the wind goes...

*

Ron Dittmer

  • *******
  • 5733
  • Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
  • Location: N/E Illinois
Re: Automatic Transmission Fluid ATF Level
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2026, 03:48:00 pm »
Taildragger,

Drive your rig to an Autozone.  At NO CHARGE, they will read the code(s) and provide the interpretation of the code(s).  That is a good and FREE place to start concerning a "check engine" light, or "check something" light.

I bought a code reader from Temu for less than $10 to display the code for all my vehicles.  With that code (or codes) I then do a Google search to get what the code means.  It saves me trips to Autozone.

Once in a great while, a code will come up for the evaporative system.  "Oh, someone didn't install gas cap adequately."  What an easy fix.  Install the gas cap tightly, then use the code reader to reset the system.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2026, 03:50:10 pm by Ron Dittmer »
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

*

Taildragger

  • *****
  • 214
    • View Profile
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: Used
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Maple / Desert Sand
  • ExtColor: Greystone
  • Location: Alaska
Re: Automatic Transmission Fluid ATF Level
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2026, 04:04:09 pm »
I appreciate the replies The two resources are only vaguely familiar to me.  Obviously, offered as an alternative to FORD by those realizing the need for a reliable operator's catalog The Reader Service is completely unknown to me.  Currently in Idaho.  Headed to Oregon.  I'll try searching for an outlet

I remain concerned about the underlying issue, and anxious to learn the significance of whatever caused the Idiot Light to alarm an engine problem.  I admit it mystifies me trying to understand how adding less than a pint of ATF to an eighteen-quart system could be significant.  Since adding ATF in the hardware store parking lot, I have located a perfectly level spot and double checked the fluid level.  Presuming the transmission is equipped with the proper dipstick, the fluid is at the top of the Operating Range.
 
Meanwhile, I have traveled another two hundred miles since being threatened by engine problems without the issue recurring. While I am thankful for that, I won't rest until I learn a better explanation. 

*

Ron Dittmer

  • *******
  • 5733
  • Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
  • Location: N/E Illinois
Re: Automatic Transmission Fluid ATF Level
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2026, 05:21:23 pm »
Pay very close attention to the exact type of transmission fluid to add.  I read that it is VERY critical.  I always keep one quart in the motorhome.

Our 2007 Automatic Transmission - TorqShift 5-speed requires.....
fluid name: Motorcraft MERCON SP
fluid part number: XT-6-QSP/MERCON SP

For our 2007 TorqShift 5-speed with secondary external bell-jar transmission filter, at 25,000 miles I drained the trans pan via the drain plug, replaced only the external filter, and considered it good until 50,000 miles.  The transmission fluid that drained out looked great/fresh.  At 50k I will be dropping the pan and replace the internal filter along with repeating what I did at 25,000 miles.

Our odometer is currently at 46,000 miles.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2026, 05:25:19 pm by Ron Dittmer »
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

*

Taildragger

  • *****
  • 214
    • View Profile
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: Used
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Maple / Desert Sand
  • ExtColor: Greystone
  • Location: Alaska
Re: Automatic Transmission Fluid ATF Level
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2026, 08:35:34 pm »
Because I didn't have any maintenance records from prior (owner(s), replacing all the fluids and filters was on my First Things To Do list.  The transmission system retains a large amount of ATF inside the case during the process.  Even those times the pan is removed and the filter discarded, the refill to capacity amount to capacity is considerably less.