• PurchDate: 04/2021
  • Model: 2552
  • ModelYear: 2020
  • Slide: Yes
  • IntColor: Toast
  • ExtColor: Toast
I'm I Wasting Money?
« on: August 03, 2022, 06:53:21 pm »
We don't travel during July, August & September for several reasons: 78 yrs old & can't handle the heat; schools out & the campgrounds are crowded. We don't have inside or covered storage, so our PC stays out in the hot, humid weather. I have always run the AC set to 90 degrees during this time. I also run a floor fan to help circulate the air. Living east of Raleigh, NC we have more day temps in the 90's. The interior of our PC is exceptional. I keep the exterior washed, waxed & the tires are treated with 303 Protection. We are 50amp with two AC's & I'm not worried about the hours on the AC units (will replace the AC units in the future anyway). Hoping to RV for several more years & hope to pass on our PC in great condition. Should have built a RV garage years ago. Headed to the Smokey Mountains for the month of October, back home for Thanksgiving & Christmas, then to south Georgia & the panhandle of Florida for the winter. What do others do that live in the south? Thanks, Chuck
Chuck & Sheila

donc13

• View Profile
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: 03/2015
  • Model: 2551
  • ModelYear: 2015
  • IntColor: Nightscape/Hickory
  • ExtColor: White/Nightscape
Re: I'm I Wasting Money?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2022, 08:37:27 pm »
Running the A/C is good for keeping the humidity and possibly mold out of your PC.

Patti
---
Don and Patti

LRUCH

• View Profile
  • NewUsed: Used
  • PurchDate: 08/2020
  • Model: 2900
  • ModelYear: 2010
  • IntColor: Maple
  • ExtColor: White/Sage
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2022, 10:12:37 pm »
I'm in Houston and keep my PC in covered storage, but it's not entirely enclosed. In winter when the sun is lower to the south the cab and hood get sunshine so I keep the windshield cover on it all the time.  (I want to find a bigger space, but that's not easy for a 2900D.)

I also don't travel much in the 3 summer months and big holidays just to avoid the amateur vacationers (read between the lines,,, families with children).   I do check the PC once a week and I run the AC any time I'm working on it. (I have a soft start so it runs OK on a 15amp plug).  I also run the generator about an hour once a month.

When it is really hot I will drop by in the morning, start the AC and then it will be cool by lunch time so I can work inside... Or work on it outside and take cool breaks.

I do see a lot of AC condensation running off the roof, so I know it is worth it to run the AC. It's partly my sweat, but also the Famous Houston Humidity. 

So, to answer your question :  At 12 years old and always based in Houston or Florida... And no mold inside, I definitely think it's worth running the AC.

My two cents,

Larry

WillLloyd

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: Feb/2017
  • Model: 2910
  • ModelYear: 2016
  • IntColor: Pebble
  • ExtColor: Grey
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2022, 09:29:48 am »
Why not just run a dehumidifier?

LRUCH

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 08/2020
  • Model: 2900
  • ModelYear: 2010
  • IntColor: Maple
  • ExtColor: White/Sage
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2022, 10:54:07 am »
Why not just run a dehumidifier?

1. I don't want to carry the extra weight, or need to carry it to/from the garage before/after a trip.
2. You need to repeatedly empty it. ...Which means added trips to the storage lot.
3. When it's 90F or higher in the shade I'd rather remove heat from the PC interior than add it.

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2022, 01:50:55 pm »
It makes sense to run the a/c, even if only enough for it to cycle on and off to remove humidity.  Setting the temp in the upper 80's seems reasonable.  Just do your best at covering all glass and roof vents, especially in the area of the windshield and door glass.  That foil-backed bubble wrap seems to be a good material to work with.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2022, 01:53:40 pm by Ron Dittmer »
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

zolman

• Just purchased 3100
    • View Profile
  • PurchDate: 12/29/2021
  • Model: 3100
  • ModelYear: 2013
  • IntColor: Cherry cabinets/grey vinyl furniture/white counters
  • ExtColor: white/gray/black
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2022, 02:41:10 pm »
I think the most important thing is to store any RV indoors. My experience comes from owning 3 used PCs over the past 8 years. I've owned an 05, 07 both from Texas and now a 2013 from Florida. The worst damage I've seen the sun's heat causing the fiberglass roof separating from the wood backing. The actual glass fiber on the roof was separating from the shell. 

I think the damage/wear depends on where the RV is from and how it is stored.  What I've seen is sun damage not interior damage on older PCs.  I've repaired or removed cracked decals and diamond shield. I've had to buff out oxidation on the exteriors of each of the PCs and replace sun damage plastic lighting fixtures, AC covers, skylights and other exterior plastic. I've had to remove and recaulk both the exterior and roofs due to sun damage and peeling.  I've never seen any damage caused by mold in the interior.

After my initial restorations I've never had any additional repairs. I store my PC inside a garage, open several windows and the fan vent covers. I think it would be unnecessary and counter productive in terms of long term maintenance to ever run an AC while stored. Running a small AC fan with open windows and vents would accomplish the same purpose.  I take out the fan fuses so the actual Fantastic fans don't run while stored. I also plug into 30 Amp AC, turn off my frig and crack open the doors and run the generator once a month for 30 minutes if I have used the generator that month. My Trick L Charge maintains the motor battery.  I hand wash after every trip and wax once a year. My biggest issue is to keep the water spots off the dark sections. I use detailing spray and a long handled applicator if I'm parked for a couple of days.

CalCruiser

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: November 2015
  • ModelYear: 2003
  • IntColor: Hickory/ Beige
  • ExtColor: Custom Ford colors- dark shadow grey & blue jeans metallic
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2022, 08:27:48 pm »
Hello Zolman

Which buffing  compound and wax can you recommend thatís easy to use?

The gel coat  is starting to oxidize and my detailer guy is off somewhere in Mexico again. A one step cleaner wax with a simple orbital polisher leaves the white gel coat looking  splotchy.
 pyho

Sorry for the thread hijack. Carry on.
Goin' where the wind goes...

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2022, 07:05:18 am »
I think the most important thing is to store any RV indoors. My experience comes from owning 3 used PCs over the past 8 years. I've owned an 05, 07 both from Texas and now a 2013 from Florida. The worst damage I've seen the sun's heat causing the fiberglass roof separating from the wood backing. The actual glass fiber on the roof was separating from the shell.

We bought our PC brand new in June 2007.  From Day#1 when not in-use, the rig has always been stored indoors in a climate controlled environment as shown below.  From Day#1 there has been a couple of round 12" to maybe 18" areas on the roof where the fiberglass sheathing is not adheared to the wood backing material behind it.  It was tacky for some time, but lost its tactility over time.  I tried placing weight on those areas early-on but my effort did not last.  The separation has not gotten worse, nor has there been any developing issues.

So maybe your three used PCs left the factory with the same fiberglass roof sheathing separation.

One thing certain, I agree with you on all other accounts.  If you can arrange to store your PC indoors when not in-use, your PC will "age" extremely slowly.  It ages quickly when outdoors regardless of usage.

Yet indoor storage is not ageless either, rather things age at a much slower rate, most especially concerning plyable materials, both cosmetic and mechanical.  With our rig, I have not yet noticed plyable materials harden over the past 15 years, but I anticipate it eventually happening.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2022, 07:10:33 am by Ron Dittmer »
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

Joseph

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 3/7/2015
  • Model: 2552
  • ModelYear: 2011
  • IntColor: Tan/Cherry
  • ExtColor: Gray / White
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2022, 09:10:06 am »
Storing inside is optimal no question but not feasible for majority.  $450-600 a month for indoor storage or 300,000 to buy land and have a building.  Covers are a pain but help depending on your location. 

When we moved to the valley we looked at homes in communities with rv garages. Prices were actually lower per sq ft than other tracts. The issue was they had no curb appeal at all and no yard. 

Everythingís a trade off.  We use ours, when weíre done we get what we get and move on. Itís the cost of ownership. In the end as far as wasting money.  Be it a boat, atv trailer or motorhome. Itís always just money thrown to pleasure.  Nothing bad in that
« Last Edit: August 13, 2022, 03:07:58 pm by Joseph »