• PurchDate: January 2008
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2008
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Maple/Beige
  • ExtColor: White
Our Final Ride
« on: May 10, 2022, 07:58:18 am »
Well friends it appears that our ride may be over . On a backroad in New Hampshire heading to our first Harvest Host for 2022 I caught the soft shoulder and could not recover.

We bought our Phoenix 2350 direct from the factory in 2007 through East Acres in Mendon, Mass. and took ownership in January 2008. We had one of the first 2008 2350's.
For the past 14 years she took us to some great places and we met so many wonderful people at the Rallys over our 14 years.

Next week will be our mini New England gathering .... We'll be there as a visitor.

As for the future well nothing is planned .... I have to go back to New Hampshire on Monday to begin retrieving our personal property and facing the reality of saying good bye to a dear old friend,

We thank GOD that we both were not injured and that we woke up today.  Guess I'll get some serious bike riding in this summer. 
Trying to picture travel without a barhroom ....

Thank You Phoenix Friends.
Bill and Karen Golden.
P.S. Thank you Ron Dittmer for helping me in my decision to go with the Phoenix PC 2350
Bill and Karen Golden

JKSan

• View Profile
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: 3-13-2021
  • Model: 2552
  • ModelYear: 2021
  • Slide: Yes
  • IntColor: Nightscape
  • ExtColor: Nightscape
Re: Our Final Ride
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2022, 08:59:38 am »
So sorry that you had this accident.  So glad you all weren't hurt.  Looks like that boulder did a number on the front end but maybe kept you from going farther off the road.  Hope the insurance company will treat you properly.

All the best.

Jim Sanford

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2022, 10:32:06 pm »
Bill and Karen,

I am so happy to read your report that the two of you escaped uninjured.  I am also sorry to read about your total loss.  Please let us know how your insurance takes care of you.

I never seen a PC go through such an experience before.  I think you are the first owners who have tested the structural integrity of a Phoenix Cruiser.  I see your 2350 has no slide-out.  I forgot about your decision on that.  The house seems to have remained in tact.  I would love to read your evaluation on that.  Any breached seams while in that resting position?  I imagine the recovery could breach seams that initially survived the accident.

Ron
« Last Edit: May 11, 2022, 09:44:31 am by Ron Dittmer »
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

CalCruiser

• View Profile
  • NewUsed: Used
  • PurchDate: November 2015
  • ModelYear: 2003
  • IntColor: Hickory/ Beige
  • ExtColor: Custom Ford colors- dark shadow grey & blue jeans metallic
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2022, 11:56:30 pm »
Just another foot to the left or right could have been tragic. Thank your lucky stars that boulder missed both the fuel and propane tanks, and that little tree kept it upright. Even Dennis Anderson would be relieved to get out of that one.
Goin' where the wind goes...

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2022, 09:36:15 am »
Bill,

Learning from your experience, I have more questions for you.  I am sure you had previously shared this information, but my mind is full of PC data from many people over many years.

On your 2008 E350 chassis......
- Did you replace the stock rear stabilizer bar with a heavy duty version?
- Did you replace the stock front stabilizer bar with a heavy duty version?
- Did you upgrade your stock shock absorbers to heavy duty versions?  If so, what brand?
- Did you upgrade your steering stabilizer?  If so, what brand?
- Did you add a rear trac bar?
- What was the condition of your tires?  Near end-of-life, or lots of thread?

I am trying to hypothesis how to prevent such loss of control for the benefit of other PC owners and also other motorhome owners.

My heart sinks every time I look at your pictures.  Maybe your unfortunate experience can benefit others.

I realize it is quite different, but it almost appears the rock could be excavated, fill in the hole, then pull your PC out, and you are back on the road again.

Ron Dittmer
« Last Edit: May 11, 2022, 12:28:32 pm by Ron Dittmer »
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

Engineerlt

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2022, 11:06:16 am »
Hello Ron
What you haven't seen is the other pictures on Facebook of the accident. The front passenger wheel is broken free from the upper and lower control arms and the grill is knocked out along with the headlight etc. Its not going anywhere under its own power. They hit rather hard and the damage is considerable. I would think the coach is totaled and is only usable for scrap/parts at this point. So if there are any PC owners that need some parts this maybe an opportunity.

Bill and Karen I am truly sorry for your loss. The great thing is you walked away. There are some PC's available for sale maybe you want to purchase another one, that way maybe I will get to meet you and your wife out on the road. I wish you the best, God Bless you and your wife..
Very Respectfully
Lance

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2022, 12:26:33 pm »
What you haven't seen is the other pictures on Facebook of the accident. The front passenger wheel is broken free from the upper and lower control arms and the grill is knocked out along with the headlight etc. Its not going anywhere under its own power. They hit rather hard and the damage is considerable. I would think the coach is totaled and is only usable for scrap/parts at this point.
I found the pictures on the Phoenix Cruiser RV Travel Club Facebook page.

If Bill and Karen's PC was near me, I would inspect it for potential recovery.  It might make for a very interesting rebuild project.

Their chassis is most certainly a 2008.  I will fix my questionnaire higher up.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2022, 12:29:34 pm by Ron Dittmer »
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2022, 02:21:32 pm »
Bill and Karen,

I have 4 pictures of your damaged PC taken from Facebook.  I would like to share how your Phoenix Cruiser's "house structure" stayed together.  Do I have your approval to share these photos publically?  If so, do you want your faces and license plate blotted out?

Ron Dittmer
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

2 Frazzled

• View Profile
    • Spirit of the Woods
  • PurchDate: May 2013
  • ModelYear: 2013
  • IntColor: Sunlit & Cherry
  • ExtColor: Sunlit
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2022, 07:59:13 am »
Bill doesn't come on the forum much anymore so if he doesn't respond, it's because he didn't see this post. If you are a travel club member and are in our RVillage group, he posted a pic there from the wrecking yard. It shows large pieces of the PC in a pile next the rig. They went back and picked up their personal items and took more pics.
John, Holly, and sometimes Chloe.
Travel Blog: Spiritofthewoods.net

2 Frazzled

• View Profile
    • Spirit of the Woods
  • PurchDate: May 2013
  • ModelYear: 2013
  • IntColor: Sunlit & Cherry
  • ExtColor: Sunlit
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2022, 08:01:25 am »
I forgot to say that Bill is attending the NorthEast PC gathering this weekend as a guest of another member so if you are going, you will see him there. He organized the event.
John, Holly, and sometimes Chloe.
Travel Blog: Spiritofthewoods.net

bgolden

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: January 2008
  • ModelYear: 2008
  • IntColor: Maple/Beige
  • ExtColor: White
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2022, 11:45:41 am »
Reply to Ron Dittmer .... Reading your questions I began thinking about the answers.  I tried to remember brands and all, but too old. You know who will have tha answers YOU..Before I knew that we had a dealer 3 miles from my home I found YOU on IRV2.  You sold me on the Phoenix.  Over the phone you told all the good stuff to add in. (I added The Ladder)

When I sat with Don as he talked with Kermit we read the list over the speaker phone and all heard Kermit say to Don was he talking to Ron Dittmer.... You see we had a 2350 but I had a 2350 Dittmer Limited Edition.

We are good and we'll be shopping for a replacement soon.

Thanks Ron
Bill and Karen Golden

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2022, 01:13:01 pm »
Reply to Ron Dittmer .... Reading your questions I began thinking about the answers.  I tried to remember brands and all, but too old. You know who will have tha answers YOU..Before I knew that we had a dealer 3 miles from my home I found YOU on IRV2.  You sold me on the Phoenix.  Over the phone you told all the good stuff to add in. (I added The Ladder)

When I sat with Don as he talked with Kermit we read the list over the speaker phone and all heard Kermit say to Don was he talking to Ron Dittmer.... You see we had a 2350 but I had a 2350 Dittmer Limited Edition.

We are good and we'll be shopping for a replacement soon.

Thanks Ron
:)(:
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer