• PurchDate: June 2, 2019
  • Model: 2910
  • ModelYear: 2016
  • Slide: Yes
  • IntColor: Toast
  • ExtColor: Toast
Atwood water heater
« on: November 13, 2021, 02:27:14 pm »
Ok - I searched and did not see any specific issue re the electric heater element being inside the coach. I have a 2015 PC 2910D. To replace the heating element I apparently need to pull the entire water heater out?  I can see the element through the heater bypass acess door, but it is not accessible. I am tempted to cut out another access door. Drain and wet vacuum the heater and replace the element. Anyone have any experience ?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2021, 08:38:47 pm by Jerry brown »

donc13

• View Profile
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: 03/2015
  • Model: 2551
  • ModelYear: 2015
  • IntColor: Nightscape/Hickory
  • ExtColor: White/Nightscape
Re: Atwood water heater
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2021, 05:18:22 pm »
I don't know about a 2910,but on my 2551 the water heater sits under the kitchen sink and you have to remove the wooden divider between the back of the under counter storage and the water heater behind it.

Then the rear of the water heater sits and the heating element is a screw-in type.   Yes, the water heater must be drained via the front drain valve.

---
Don and Patti

Jerry brown

• View Profile
  • NewUsed: Used
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2021, 08:45:22 pm »
Unfortunately the water heater is below our closet and to the right of our shower with only a small access panel for the heater by-pass.

I hate to cut into the inside of the coach but may be the best long term solution if I want to be able to replace the heating element. Bad design to not make the element accessible from outside IMO

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2021, 09:47:29 pm »
Jerry,

I word of caution here.  If you manage to access the 110V heating element from inside the coach, "even though" you completely drain the tank from the outside, there remains about 1/2 gallon of water that rushes out inside the coach when removing the heating element.  So place enough absorbent rags to catch all the water.

Don't ask me how I know.  >(
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

donc13

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 03/2015
  • Model: 2551
  • ModelYear: 2015
  • IntColor: Nightscape/Hickory
  • ExtColor: White/Nightscape
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2021, 06:58:27 am »
Unfortunately the water heater is below our closet and to the right of our shower with only a small access panel for the heater by-pass.

I hate to cut into the inside of the coach but may be the best long term solution if I want to be able to replace the heating element. Bad design to not make the element accessible from outside IMO

OK, well, that leaves only a couple of choices then, if you want to do the job yourself. Cut an access panel or remove the entire heater from the outside.  I agree, neither of those choices is a "good choice".   And having a shop do it won't be cheap either.
---
Don and Patti

Tarnold

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: Dec 2019
  • Model: 2552
  • ModelYear: 2014
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2021, 08:54:01 am »
To get the last bit of water out, get a cheap turkey baster at the dollar store.  Put a short piece of hose on it, stick in the drain hole and suck it out.  After I do that, I will squirt a bit of antifreeze in it just to be sure.

Jerry brown

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2021, 12:16:19 pm »
Thanks all for the feedback. I was think about using my shop vac to get all the water left below the drain plug but the turkey Baster is a good idea. Kinda think I am just going to stick with gas for now. Itís faster and we are not in the camper for long extended periods. I am not sure even if I fabricate access - it would still be somewhat offset and I am not certain I would even have room to pull the element.