• PurchDate: 3-13-2021
  • Model: 2552
  • ModelYear: 2021
  • Slide: Yes
  • IntColor: Nightscape
  • ExtColor: Nightscape
Lights or Sensor on awning arms
« on: October 02, 2021, 11:16:30 am »
At the end of each awning arm on my 2552 there is an 8 inch element that looks like a strip of LED lights.  What are they?  Lights or a sensor for the automatic rewind or something else?  Curious.

JJCruiser

• View Profile
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: 10/2018
  • Model: 2351
  • ModelYear: 2019
Re: Lights or Sensor on awning arms
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2021, 11:51:00 am »
At the end of each awning arm on my 2552 there is an 8 inch element that looks like a strip of LED lights.  What are they?  Lights or a sensor for the automatic rewind or something else?  Curious.

On my 2351, I have a module on the top of the front awning arm.  It is the vibration sensor for the automatic rewind in case it gets too windy.  Below is a photo.   The LED lights on my awning runs the entire length of the awning next to the RV. 

JJ

JKSan

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 3-13-2021
  • ModelYear: 2021
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2021, 03:06:29 pm »
OK, with the help of Lippert and the Solera Awning manual, I figured it out myself.  So, I will share what I found out in case there is someone else who might be curious.  First, my rig's awning has the "Smart Arm".  The Smart Arm has a control panel at the bottom of the arm next to the entrance door.  The elements that I mentioned in the title are, in fact, lights.  They are not controlled by the light switch inside which turns on and off the string of LED lights the length of the awning, next to the rig.  The Smart Arm control has a variety of functions.  An on/off switch, an awning extend arrow, an awning retract arrow, a light switch, a wind sensor switch, and an infrared motion switch.  My question and curiosity was related to the light switch.  The two LED elements at the end of each arm can be turned on and off at the control panel.  There are three positions - low, medium, and bright.  Also, the wind sensor has three levels of sensitivity; low, medium and high.  The infrared will turn on the arm lights if someone gets within 8 feet (in the dark, of course).

So, that's the explanation.  I assume those of you that have the Smart Arm are laughing at me.  So be it, no one took the time to educate me on the Smart Arm and on my "walk-around" I wasn't smart enough to ask about it.

Engineerlt

• A Little Project
    • View Profile
  • NewUsed: Used
  • PurchDate: Aug, 2019
  • ModelYear: 2017
  • IntColor: Hickory
  • ExtColor: Toast
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2021, 08:08:46 pm »
Man I like you your awning, it has all the bells and whistles. Sounds like a neat set-up. I have a Dometic awning that has no smart features and an LED light strip where the awning connects to the camper. I like the motion lights and the sensors, plus having the adjustment panel where you have control of those sensors.

I am always worried the wind will pick-up and take off my awning.

Lance

mikeh

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 02/2019
  • ModelYear: 2019
  • IntColor: Toast
  • ExtColor: Toast
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2021, 08:52:42 pm »
Agreed with  Lance.

That "Smart Arm" is pretty smart.  This is a relatively new feature that Phoenix offers--wasn't available two years ago.  My 2019 PC has the LED light string on the awning, and the wind sensor that automatically retracts the awning if the wind exceeds an unsafe level.  It also is equipped with a remote control that lets you manage all awning functions remotely.  But it doesn't have the external control panel, the infrared motion activated motion lights on the awning arms, or the adjustable sensitivity on  the wind sensor.

Continual progress on all RV systems.

2 Frazzled

• View Profile
    • Spirit of the Woods
  • PurchDate: May 2013
  • ModelYear: 2013
  • IntColor: Sunlit & Cherry
  • ExtColor: Sunlit
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2021, 09:52:21 pm »
We don't have a wind sensor on our awning but I would advise against total reliance on it. We've had single monster gusts that would have taken off the awning in a heartbeat. That sensor needs a tug or two to trigger it and that may be too late. Always check the weather and pull that baby in when you won't be around to monitor it.

I use Weather.gov and select hourly forecast to get wind specifics. Lots of good info there.
John, Holly, and sometimes Chloe.
Travel Blog: Spiritofthewoods.net