• PurchDate: 08/2020
  • Model: 2900
  • ModelYear: 2010
  • Slide: Yes
  • IntColor: Maple
  • ExtColor: White/Sage
Cleaner water while on the road?
« on: October 01, 2021, 10:49:21 am »
I'm sure most of us have a water filter to clean solids and odors out of water before it enters the PC. But, has anyone supplemented that to sterilize the water, especially at the kitchen sink to ensure that it is still drinkable once it reaches the sink?  I chlorine my water tank annually and drain/refill between every trip, but I always wonder what might be growing in the tank.  I've looked at reverse osmosis systems and finding room for the smallest of them is going to be a challenge. I'm leaning towards a UV Sterilizer like this one:

Polaris UVA-1C Ultraviolet UV Sterilizer Purifier For RO & Drinking Water Systems, 1 GPM
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B9QSZZS?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

There should be room for this thing under the counter behind the drawers. I'm considering to put it on a timer switch which auto shuts off at 5, 10, 15 or 30 minutes. That way it extends the life and reduces power consumption. As for which circuit? The easiest would be the 120v from the invertor already there.

Bathroom Fan Auto Shut Off 30-15-10-5 Minute Preset Countdown Wall Switch Timer White
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M4IFLMA?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_tab_ap_product_details

That way I could choose when I wanted cleaner water for drinking, dish washing, cooking.  I would also mount it as close as possible to the cold side of the kitchen sink to minimize the amount of water to "flush out" after turning it on.

Anyone already been down this path?  Other thoughts, concerns?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2021, 10:50:54 am by LRUCH »

DKCruzser

• View Profile
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: Used
  • PurchDate: September 2018
  • Model: 2910
  • ModelYear: 2017
  • IntColor: toast
  • ExtColor: toast
Re: Cleaner water while on the road?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2021, 11:38:08 am »
Rather than an UV have you considered using a filtration system?  We have in our 2910D a water dispenser mounted at our kitchen sink.  The filter we use for this dispenser is one of the Pentair Bacteriostatic micro-pure filtration media.  The cartridges are expensive which is the downside but it does provide more than just bacteriostatic action.   I change it out every year knowing it provides protections to the water we drink.  Here is a website that provides information on the various ways to filter your water.
https://premieresales.com/water-filters-that-remove-bacteria-in-water/

Dave
2017-2910D

Volkemon

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: October 31, 2017
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2006
  • IntColor: Light Maple
  • ExtColor: White
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2021, 01:27:51 pm »
Not the smallest of installs, but has good storage beneath and is nice and 'out of the way' in our 2350.  Held in place with the strap, 1500# breaking strength.

No plumbing mods or filters needed either.  (cheer)  The water dispenser we use is rechargeable from a USB cable.

https://www.wayfair.com/Primo-Water--Countertop-Electric-Water-Cooler-601244-L982-K~OCKQ1001.html

Shown with slide out.

Slide in -

Holds 10 gallons, is easy to remove one or both jugs and fill them in WalMart or other trusted potable water source.

Easy to remove jugs to clean and sterilize.  Easy to remove the entire unit also, if desired. Leaves nothing but 2 eye bolts in the floor. Should a day come that we sell, I can remove everything and put 2 carriage bolts in the floor if the unit is distasteful to potential owners.

I do NOT trust our water system in the camper for drinking. Period. (Bathing, commode and sinks - SURE!!) This was the best option I came up with. We refill 1 Qt water bottles from it and keep them in the fridge.

Makes for a great place to keep our shoes now also.  2o2  When we are camping, we tend to use 1-2 gallons of drinking/cooking water a day. More if its Florida summer camping.  :)(:
""You want to save money on travel, drive a Prius and stay at motel 6""  Forum Member Joseph

WORD.

LRUCH

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2021, 04:56:09 pm »
Thanks for the quick replies.

Re:Volkeman. I'm not looking to carry more water, as I have 2900 and a huge tank... I'd rather be able use the fresh water tank while knowing that it is "fresh"... As well as not take up living space.  I carry a 20lb/day ice maker where your bottle rack is   :cool and set it up outside when parked for extended summer camping.  I'm also interested in being able to rinse dishes at the faucet with clean water (albeit cold) so I still think I want something "installed".

Re: DKCruzser. I have not seen that filter before. Interesting. Do you see a flow difference between your cold (filtered) and hot (unfiltered)? With only a half micron pore size it makes me wonder.  I was thinking about the UV option because it imposes no flow restriction in the device,,,, instead the flow rate is guidance to tell you that if you fill your glass with water at that rate or slower the UV has enough time to kill all of the bacteria. If I want to fill the sink fast I still can do it, but it won't be guaranteed to be cleaned at the fast rate. 

I was also thinking about the life of the filter. "Once a Year" is good especially for that type of filter, and for a part time user.  On the other hand, the UV doesn't clog... It just has a limited bulb life... 9000 hours according to the spec. But, I would expect that a bumpy RV life will shorten that.

All good feedback...  I need to mull it over.

Thanks!

LRUCH

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2021, 05:24:58 pm »
One more thought/question on the filter.  What do you do with it for winterizing? Do you remove the filter and  fill it with antifreeze?  Or bypass it somehow?

donc13

• View Profile
  • NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: 03/2015
  • Model: 2551
  • ModelYear: 2015
  • IntColor: Nightscape/Hickory
  • ExtColor: White/Nightscape
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2021, 06:14:19 pm »
One more thought/question on the filter.  What do you do with it for winterizing? Do you remove the filter and  fill it with antifreeze?  Or bypass it somehow?

A UV light filter (as the link from Amazon points to) does not "filter" the water, it only "sterilizes" it by killing bacteria and viruses in the water.  It will not remove any heavy metals like lead or dissolved minerals or even plain old silt or chlorine/fluorine or other small. particles.

---
Don and Patti

2 Lucky

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 02/27/18
  • IntColor: Cherry
  • ExtColor: Classic Umber
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2021, 10:01:02 pm »
We just use a Brita that fits in the milk jug cutout of the shelf in the fridge. Keep it filled from the kitchen sink. Put good water in the tank first, the Brita takes out the tank taste.
Riding the fine line between bravery and stupidity since 1952.

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2021, 11:42:02 pm »
We were never comfortable ingesting the water from the tap for the same concerns mentioned by other people.  I disinfect the system, but that is not good enough for us.  I thoroughly disinfect our large blue jug and drink and cook with the water from it.  We filter the water, then pour it into a 1/2 gallon container that is user friendly in the fridge.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2021, 11:44:30 pm by Ron Dittmer »
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

LRUCH

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2021, 12:23:33 pm »
This thread got me 2nd guessing what Water Filter I was already using.  I drove over to the RV Storage today and verified.  I see that my filter is a 2 stage 20 micron.  (around 2 for $20)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B089CTXFMN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It also got me wondering if there is a 3 stage, and there is.   Has anyone tried these from USA Adventure (link below) with KDF/GAC/Quantum?  They are $100 each (ouch!).... and probably why I didn't look at them earlier.  I would be tempted to daisy chain it with a cheap filter to catch the large contaminants first and then let this 3 stage finish the job.  It would also mean it all could go outside, be easily maintained, and not an added complication to winterizing.

https://www.amazon.com/Bacteria-Chemicals-Insecticides-Chlorine-USA/dp/B07ZG6TGJB/ref=sr_1_13?dchild=1&keywords=garden+hose+water+filter&qid=1633190116&s=automotive&sr=1-13

To that end, if I were to start chaining filters together I might just get the Clear 2 O since it also is a 1 micron solid block of carbon filter.
https://www.clear2o.com/products/clear2o%C2%AE-garden-pet-water-hose-filter-solid-carbon-block-filter-reduces-chlorine-lead-heavy-metals-herbicides-pesticides-ideal-for-organic-farmers-and-pet-owners

However,,,, when I step back and think about my original issue of doubting how safe the water from the tank is, I still want to put something under the sink.   I feel like you can proactively clean the water all you want  BEFORE it enters the RV (fill spout or city hookup), but once it sits in the tank for a few days I start to question it when filling my glass.

I gave up on Brita or Pur several years back....  They are known to only remove inorganics --much like the garden hose filters.  They basically require safe water to start with and make it taste better.   And, you are still consuming some residual inorganics, and much of the organics and small bacteria/organisms/etc.  Here's an in depth study on that https://www.thegoodforco.com/everything-your-brita-filter-isnt-doing/

2 Lucky

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 02/27/18
  • IntColor: Cherry
  • ExtColor: Classic Umber
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2021, 04:40:46 pm »
That's good info about the Brita... 2o2 thank you very much. I'll be looking into something better.
 tymote
Riding the fine line between bravery and stupidity since 1952.

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2021, 09:05:05 pm »
With rare exception, we trust the "health" of tap water everywhere in the USA and Canada.  We filter it as I had shared higher up, but honestly feel it is often over-kill.  If the water appears clear and tastes good, we consider such tap water good for consumption.  But after putting it into our RV fresh water tank, we consider it good for everything but consumption.  It may be safe, but we are over cautious.  I would in a pinch but it is not our normal practice.
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

Joseph

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 3/7/2015
  • Model: 2552
  • ModelYear: 2011
  • IntColor: Tan/Cherry
  • ExtColor: Gray / White