• PurchDate: 05/08/021
  • Model: 2552
  • ModelYear: 2012
  • Slide: Yes
  • IntColor: Grey/Cherry
  • ExtColor: White/Black/gray
2552 stabilizer jacks
« on: July 07, 2021, 08:52:05 pm »
Hi all.  Looked around here a bit for topics on installing stabilizer jacks on my 2552.  They are not really needed, but my wife would like them.  Iím thinking 2 would work.  Any ideas as to where the best place to mount them would be?  Pictures of your 2552 with scissor type stabilizer jacks would be very helpful if possible.
Thanks all.
Steve

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
Re: 2552 stabilizer jacks
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2021, 05:49:44 am »
Hi Gixxerkid3,

Since your plan is to mount only 2 scissors stabilizer jacks, I imagine the best place would be on the main chassis frame just forward of the rear tires.  But I wonder if they will be quite highly mounted, so much that you will need to add spacers between and blocks on the ground.

If mounting them behind the rear tires, I would attached them to the main frame, not the frame extension.

If your 2012 2552 rocks side-to-side significantly when walking around inside, that is a general indicator that you would benefit from replacing your original front and rear stabilizer bars with heavy duty versions.  There is a test you can perform on your own to help determine it.  Click on the link below.

http://forum.phoenixusarv.com/index.php/topic,2094.0.html
« Last Edit: July 08, 2021, 05:51:20 am by Ron Dittmer »
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

donc13

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 03/2015
  • Model: 2551
  • ModelYear: 2015
  • IntColor: Nightscape/Hickory
  • ExtColor: White/Nightscape
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2021, 04:54:54 pm »
2 Jack's is not a good number.   First, with 2 Jack's, you cannot "level" your PC.  Second, with a PC as long as a 2552, you have no way to place just 2 Jack's so you don't get movement both side to side and front to back.  With only 2 jacks, you can only stabilize 2 suspension springs and the other 2 suspension springs will still be free to move up and down.

And yes, I agree with Ron, you will have to either get large scissor Jack's or carry blocks to put on the ground under the Jack's.

At least, that's my opinion on what will happen with just 2 Jack's.
---
Don and Patti

Volkemon

• View Profile
  • NewUsed: Used
  • PurchDate: October 31, 2017
  • ModelYear: 2006
  • IntColor: Light Maple
  • ExtColor: White
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2021, 07:51:19 pm »
Hi all.  Looked around here a bit for topics on installing stabilizer jacks on my 2552.  They are not really needed, but my wife would like them.  Iím thinking 2 would work.  Any ideas as to where the best place to mount them would be?  Pictures of your 2552 with scissor type stabilizer jacks would be very helpful if possible.
Thanks all.

I know your goal. Just get the coach so it doesnt bounce around a lot when you are walking into/around inside it. Not to level it. I use wheel blocks to level the coach. Then...

-When I dont have my trailer on, I use my 12 ton bottle jack under the rear hitch. Little bit of 'up' pressure, and it goes from bouncehouse  :lol to solid floor.  It does sink overnight, however, so 'refresher pumps' are needed each day. No biggie.

-When I do have the trailer attached, I use the tongue jack (1000# rated) on the trailer to do the same. It is mechanical, so it stays put through the entire time I use it.

AMAZING how much it stabilizes the coach. I am around 230#, so I was the lead culprit for 'rocking the boat'. Mrs V is WAS satisfied with the results.*

But to help answer your post.....

Just took a quick look at my undercarriage on a 2006 model 2350,  and imagined using some Harbor freight stabilizer jacks - https://www.harborfreight.com/2-1-2-half-ton-trailer-stabilizer-jack-96406.html

5000 pound rating on each!  BOOyeah! and under $40 each.

In front of the rear axle would be 'best' for your purpose IMO. (Behind would work fine also, should the clearances be better. Remember, I am getting good results using a single trailer tongue jack ~2 feet behind the hitch! ) 

On mine the Muffler determines where it would go on the right (passenger) side. The muffler is close to the frame, and would not allow the jack clearance to retract, so I would have to place it a little forward of the muffler. The muffler sticks down about 6 inches from the frame, the jack is ~5 inches collapsed. So the bottom of the retracted jack is not the low spot.  :-D   Likewise on the Left side, the LP tank and generator determine that the jack would have to go between them to allow the tool to fit in there to extend/retract the jack. AND...the generator muffler is lower, so again the jack wont be a low spot when retracted.

Since you are just looking to stabilize, they dont have to be exactly the same location 'fore and aft' to work fine for that purpose. Don't get all worried about symmetry.  (nod)

These Jacks have an extended height of ~23", the frame-to-ground is around a foot on mine, prolly similar on yours. So plenty of lift, even if you are up 6 inches on wheel leveling blocks.

Using these jacks you will be adding 30 pounds of jacks, for the record. Plus the weight of whatever crank handle you would need to reach in there to engage the hex nut on the jack.

Or spend a little more ($450) and electrify them...  60 pound assembly, looks like they are ~6" retracted, but lift to 30".  https://www.amazon.com/Lippert-298707-Electric-Stabilizer-Waterproof/dp/B00JMHI11C

NOT sure how the frame rail spacing would line up, or if its adjustable.  (WH)  Just tossing out ideas.  :)(:

======================================================================================================

*Great.  roflol Mrs V just came in to check on me, asked what I was typing... read it...  and LOVES the idea.  (cheer)  She asked would two jacks work any better and I had to say yes... D'oH!!!!   :help
""You want to save money on travel, drive a Prius and stay at motel 6""  Forum Member Joseph

WORD.

Gixxerkid3

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2021, 12:56:54 am »
Thanks for all the input guys.  Right, not using to level the coach but only to stabilize.  I donít notice ( not enough to bother) the movement in the coach ( and I notice everything) but doing it only for my wife.  Upon further investigation, I have decided not to do anything.  Itís not needed and I donít like how they would be mounted if I did get them.
Thanks for the info.
Steve

JSanford

• View Profile
  • ModelYear: 2021
  • IntColor: Nightscape
  • ExtColor: Nightscape
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2021, 06:43:10 am »
Not doing anything makes sense.  My wife and I used to weekend on a boat where any movement is magnified being on the water.  Our 2552 is rock solid compared to that.  Further, and not discussed, is storing the jacks or stabilizers.  I, for one, don't have room for them even if I wanted them.

Volkemon

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2021, 10:47:23 am »
Not doing anything makes sense.  My wife and I used to weekend on a boat where any movement is magnified being on the water.  Our 2552 is rock solid compared to that.  Further, and not discussed, is storing the jacks or stabilizers.  I, for one, don't have room for them even if I wanted them.

LOL..   so I suppose using the same reasoning, you might understand why people that are used to a bed on a concrete slab may find the movement unsettling, right?  Doesnt bother me, but just as in Gixxerkid3's case, my Wife finds it disturbing. Since BOTH of us being comfortable is an important issue to me, some things are pushed into a priority status.

Storing the jacks is easy, and takes up no room in any storage compartment... They are bolted/welded to the frame.......  (exactly)  They stay under there. That was why the retracted height was brought up. You may have seen them on pull behinds, just not have known what you were looking at. They are very visible in this picture:

On a pull behind, they are used to level and stabilize, so they are usually mounted on the corners. In our application as stabilizers, they would be hidden from view, being inboard on the frame rails.  2o2 

As stated, the 'weight penalty' would be 30 pounds for the pair, the handle used to deploy them perhaps another few pounds. I do admit, the handle has to be stowed somewhere. Using clips and storing it in the doorframe next to our 'Awning Actuating Handle' comes to mind.

For our particular case, I am replacing the box awning with a FRTA style awning, and will not need the handle. The same clips might even work.  :)(:

""You want to save money on travel, drive a Prius and stay at motel 6""  Forum Member Joseph

WORD.

Gixxerkid3

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2021, 10:28:39 pm »
On my 2006 Keystone Springdale travel trailer they were nice . Thatís why I thought of it.  But like I noted.  Not worth the hassle.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2021, 10:30:13 pm by Gixxerkid3 »
Steve

Volkemon

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2021, 01:24:29 pm »
On my 2006 Keystone Springdale travel trailer they were nice . Thatís why I thought of it.  But like I noted.  Not worth the hassle.

I am hoping not TOO much of a hassle,  Mrs V really likes the idea now. Will post pics. DONT show this thread to your wife....  roflol

WORD.

CalCruiser

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: November 2015
  • ModelYear: 2003
  • IntColor: Hickory/ Beige
  • ExtColor: custom dark shadow grey & blue jeans metallic stripes
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2021, 07:37:22 pm »
If itís yawing just from the weight of  people moving around itís probably swaying on the road like a sailboat with no sails. A more beneficial fix would be a stiffer Hellwig rear sway bar. Walking around on the roof is the only time my 2350 yaws enough to notice. With negligible body roll  itís a breeze  to drive on twisty mountain roads , which I find amazing for a heavy truck (thanks Ron D 2o2). The one time I took an off-camber curve  too fast it saved my butt without any drama (beware of Sand Hollow Road when driving near Hurricane Utah LOL).
« Last Edit: July 11, 2021, 11:23:57 pm by CalCruiser »
Goin' where the wind goes...

Gixxerkid3

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2021, 07:44:43 pm »

I am hoping not TOO much of a hassle,  Mrs V really likes the idea now. Will post pics. DONT show this thread to your wife....  roflol
Looking forward to pics.  Who knows, maybe Iíll change my mind.  I need a project anyway.  Lol
Steve

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2021, 08:52:12 pm »
If itís swaying just from the weight of  people moving around itís probably yawing on the road like a sailboat with no sails. A more beneficial fix would be a stiffer Hellwig rear sway bar. Walking around on the roof is the only time my 2350 yaws enough to notice. With negligible body roll  itís a breeze  to drive on twisty mountain roads , which I find amazing for a heavy truck (thanks Ron D 2o2). The one time I took an off-camber curve  too fast it saved my butt without any drama. Beware of Sand Hollow Road when driving near Hurricane UT LOL.
Cal, did you ever upgrade your OEM "front" stabilizer bar?  If not, examine your original one, specifically where the ends of the bar passes through the rubber donuts in the lower control arms.  If you see an air gap, you have that much "play" before the front bar starts to contribute.  Given the front bar is fairly weak to begin with, you would appreciate the benefits in upgrading it to a heavy duty Helwig or Roadmaster bar.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2021, 09:44:48 am by Ron Dittmer »
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

Volkemon

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2021, 01:11:44 pm »
If itís yawing just from the weight of  people moving around itís probably swaying on the road like a sailboat with no sails. A more beneficial fix would be a stiffer Hellwig rear sway bar. Walking around on the roof is the only time my 2350 yaws enough to notice. With negligible body roll  itís a breeze  to drive on twisty mountain roads , which I find amazing for a heavy truck (thanks Ron D 2o2). The one time I took an off-camber curve  too fast it saved my butt without any drama (beware of Sand Hollow Road when driving near Hurricane Utah LOL).

Good Grief!  No, there is not yaw at all, especially from people moving inside. There is roll, and that is why the jacks are to be placed where they are. I am pretty sure pitch will be negligible also due to the placement under the primary walking area inside. 

I am very happy with the ride and handling of my coach. Yes, spending $350 for a rear swaybar that will cut maybe 1/2 the movement when parked  is...well...not very temping to me or effective for the task as defined. On road handling benefits are real, but whats this thread about?  Oh yeah...stabilizing the coach when parked. Pick one goal, and achieve it well.

You can see that even this task is a waste of time to some. To others it is important.  (WH)    I would be convinced a rear swaybar is 'the best answer' to parked stability if someone here with the 'full monty' of swaybars AND hydraulic levelers gets on and tell me they can't tell a stability difference inside between jacks up or deployed when they are parked. (Please note I am not commenting on the leveling aspect, just the stabilizing action. I do NOT think that two harbor freight stabilizing jacks are a functional replacement for a 4 point hydraulic leveling system!   roflol )

I am looking at achieving this goal (extremely stable when parked camping) with ~ $100 in parts. With the added benefit of being able to dial in that 'little bit more' to perfectly level things after putting the RV on the levelling blocks.  2o2  Adding 30 pounds, but easily removable should it not pan out.  Getting the 'concrete floor feel' stabilizing benefits of a hydraulic system without the weight, complexity and at a fraction of the cost.

WORD.

CalCruiser

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: November 2015
  • ModelYear: 2003
  • IntColor: Hickory/ Beige
  • ExtColor: custom dark shadow grey & blue jeans metallic stripes
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2021, 07:42:56 pm »
Goin' where the wind goes...

Volkemon

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2021, 08:26:56 am »

The backstory does not state specifics, but how much you wanna bet a 'Significant other' led to the design of this product?  2o2  Bringing out the best in us....

Thats a REALLY cool idea and design!  And only $850 shipped.  https://flopstopper.com/FlopStopper/Home.html

But you know... the Seakeeper can be used anchored OR underway!  Get that instead!  Starting at only $15,900 before installation!   roflol

https://www.seakeeper.com/seakeeper-products/seakeeper-1/

WORD.