• PurchDate: September 2018
  • Model: 2910
  • ModelYear: 2017
  • Slide: Yes
  • IntColor: toast
  • ExtColor: toast
SRS Airbag Light
« on: October 30, 2023, 05:41:04 pm »
I noticed traveling to Elkhart, for the reunion, my SRS airbag light was on.   After we returned home, I did a diagnostic test with my OBD that indicated a code (b121 3:1_8B) which is a seat belt buckle pretensioner deployment control error on the passenger side.  I took out the passenger seat and examined the wiring and the SRS connector.  All seemed intact (I was thinking my wife had somehow damaged or kinked the wiring or displaced the connector putting something under the seat.  I also checked the ohm reading at the connector that indicated 0.2 ohms compared to the driver side which was 2.5 ohms.   Before I purchase a replacement pretensioner I wanted any feedback if I am on the right track of fixing the problem.  The most common issue about a SRS airbag light is a kink in the wire or loose connector.  I also found a few sources about having to replace the pretensioner.   Your expertise is appreciated.
dave
2017-2910D

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
Re: SRS Airbag Light
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2023, 09:46:16 pm »
On our first motorhome (THIS ONE), after roughly two years, we had developed an electrical problem with the rear tail lights.  Chasing down the problem, I discovered the wire harness that ran along the passenger door threshold was slit where the custom carpet was cut to fit the floor pan.  The few strands of wire that electrically held together, eventually burned like a fuse creating a complete break in the connection.  Repairing that solved the problem for the remaining 22 years of ownership.

I share this as one potential possibility, hoping Phoenix is more careful than Mirage was back in 1983.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2023, 09:52:48 pm by Ron Dittmer »
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

donc13

• View Profile
  • NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: 03/2015
  • Model: 2551
  • ModelYear: 2015
  • Slide: Yes
  • IntColor: Nightscape/Hickory
  • ExtColor: White/Nightscape
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2023, 07:53:41 am »
I would suggest you let a Ford Dealer diagnose the error.  Seat belt pretension er should have lit up the seat belt light not the airbag light.

There should also be a sensor in the seat that is set by weight to indicate there is a passenger in the seat.  If that sensor isn't working, in an accident, the airbag won't deploy.

A dealer my charge you $50 to $100 to diagnose the issue but with the complications of sensors and wiring and computer built into vehicles these days, it's easy to miss the actual cause.

You can do the repair, but again.. Segust you have dealer do the diagnosis.

Don
---
Don and Patti

Taildragger

• Prior: PC 2100
    • View Profile
  • NewUsed: Used
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2010
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Hickory / Desert Sand
  • ExtColor: Greystone
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2023, 11:55:23 pm »

There should also be a sensor in the seat that is set by weight to indicate there is a passenger in the seat.  If that sensor isn't working, in an accident, the airbag won't deploy.

I didn't know that.  Never thought about that as even a possibility.

Instead, I excused the muted seatbelt signal as relief from an annoyance. Even thought about praising the prior owner or, whoever it was clever enough to bypass the alarm without disconnecting or severing wires.  The passenger side chair swivels and I rationalized the silenced alarm as factory approved.