• PurchDate: 02/27/18
  • Model: 2551
  • ModelYear: 2010
  • Slide: Yes
  • IntColor: Cherry
  • ExtColor: Classic Umber
e-bike update
« on: December 25, 2020, 10:32:49 am »
Obviously I'm bored, still waiting for Santa to get here. He's probably stuck in that winter wonderland gripping the NE right now. Must be hard when the White Xmas includes power outages. Hope all of you are safe and warm. No sympathy for all of you sunning in S. Florida...

A while back there was some interest in e-bikes here. I found this great article from Wired:

https://www.wired.com/gallery/best-electric-bikes/?bxid=5cec24fcfc942d3ada069679&cndid=52165942&esrc=desktopInterstitial&mbid=mbid%3DCRMWIR012019%0A%0A&source=EDT_WIR_NEWSLETTER_0_GADGET_LAB_ZZ&utm_brand=wired&utm_campaign=aud-dev&utm_mailing=WIR_GadgetLab%202020-12-17&utm_medium=email&utm_source=nl&utm_term=WIR_GadgetLab
Riding the fine line between bravery and stupidity since 1952.

jatrax

• John and Carrie
    • View Profile
    • Zigzag Mountain Art
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: November 2016
  • Model: 2552
  • ModelYear: 2017
  • IntColor: Graystone
  • ExtColor: Graystone
Re: e-bike update
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2020, 01:17:28 pm »
Thanks for that!  I'm really interested in e-bikes and looking to get one eventually.

garmp

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 3/20
  • Model: 2351
  • ModelYear: 2020 2351D
  • IntColor: Greystone
  • ExtColor: Jack Doub Grey/Greystone
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2020, 04:08:40 pm »
What a timely post. We'll pick up our ebikes tomorrow. We opted for the Pedego Comfort Cruiser models. Yes two of them, one for the wife & one for me. We felt that they are the best bang for the buck and the biggest selling point is that they have a local store in our town.
Now we wait for the carrier to come in, then the cover and we're off!
Jack is what we call our PC 2351D, and he has taken us from campers to RV'ers and loving it. We're no longer Team Bob. Just Jack the RV!

mikeh

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 02/2019
  • ModelYear: 2019
  • IntColor: Toast
  • ExtColor: Toast
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2020, 05:49:54 pm »
Many, many electric bikes on the market now.

For those, like me, that are interested, but have little to no background in this area let me again recommend https://electricbikereview.com/.

This site is the most comprehensive I found for in-depth objective reviews of e-bikes.  It also helps you come up to speed on the features, options and technology with a few reads.  If you identify a bike you think you might be interested in, it will almost certainly have a review which will give you a complete run-down on the positives and any negatives.

My choice was ultimately for a folding bike, so I could just pitch it into the back of my Jeep.  Not practical for two (or more) bikes of course, but works great for me.  On the bike or back on the road in a minute or so.

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2020, 11:20:31 am »
This past season, we have spent some good time in Amish country looking for a new bedroom set.  Many Amish women and children have upgraded from the horse and buggy, to e-bikes, and at a glance they all seem to be the same type.  If I were to consider an e-bike, I would do my research in Amish country.  There is the occasional bike/e-bike shop in their hilly communities.  Nobody knows better than the people who depend on e-bikes daily.
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

Sparroweye

• View Profile
  • NewUsed: Used
  • PurchDate: 2020
  • ModelYear: 2009
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Maple cabinets, tan seats
  • ExtColor: Silver, black & grey
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2020, 02:40:09 pm »
The ebike was a game changer for me. I am able to cover a lot of ground in a day.  In D. C. I saw everything in a day (all museums were closed).  I settled for a Aventon Pace 500 which fit my requirements at a good price.  Hated to go the ‘China made’ route but it’s difficult not to.  Upgraded with fenders and rear rack which came in handy. Wish I gone with a step though model. 

https://www.aventon.com/products/aventon-pace-500-complete-bike?utm_content=6457160134_101872005960_435449577321&gclid=CjwKCAiA57D_BRAZEiwAZcfCxdFbFppzeAYGs4lXq--GiKxTrM5T8QYSXvbKzG1sk2_9kAhGWWxaOBoCkLwQAvD_BwE

mikeh

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2020, 04:56:18 pm »
"Game changer" for me as well.  When I decided to buy the RV, I knew that I needed a way to "cover ground" in many areas without extensive walking (the spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak).  I thought about various solutions--motorbike, regular bicycles, even maybe a Segway?  Not being a regular bike rider, I vaguely knew that e-bikes existed but they didn't surface initially.  When they finally did, and I took a look, I knew I'd found the most logical solution to my quandary.
As I always do, when faced with a new arena and no expertise, I spent a lot of time online learning about e-bikes and the best options for me.  Experience is by far the best teacher, but the internet is not too far behind!

I did opt for a step through model, and one with 20-inch wheels, because any "macho pride" I may have left these days has been well tempered with experience and pragmatism.  As mentioned earlier in this thread, I decided a folding model would fit my needs best--as a single traveler most of the time, I can just pitch it in the back of the Jeep and have it in and out almost instantly without dealing with the bike rack questions.  There are several good models--I went with the Blix Vika+ based on solid quality at an entry price ($1700).  Partially due to careful research (and maybe partially due to beginner's luck), the bike turned out to be perfect for my needs.  After a year and half of experience, I really can't think of a thing I'd want to change.

Mike

CalCruiser

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: November 2015
  • ModelYear: 2003
  • IntColor: Hickory/ Beige
  • ExtColor: custom dark shadow grey & blue jeans metallic stripes
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2020, 12:00:04 am »
I have my eye on a Sur-Ron or rebranded Segway X260 with the optional pedal kit. Pedals are non-functional but make it legal to ride anywhere or even register as a moped. Utah beckons  :cool  C’mon Mitch!

https://lunacycle.com/sur-ron-x-bike-black-edition

https://store.segway.com/segway-dirt-ebike-x160-x260
« Last Edit: December 31, 2020, 12:29:13 am by CalCruiser »
Goin' where the wind goes...

Sarz272000

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: August 2018
  • IntColor: Gray
  • ExtColor: Gray
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2020, 01:13:15 pm »
"Game changer" for me as well.  When I decided to buy the RV, I knew that I needed a way to "cover ground" in many areas without extensive walking (the spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak).  I thought about various solutions--motorbike, regular bicycles, even maybe a Segway?  Not being a regular bike rider, I vaguely knew that e-bikes existed but they didn't surface initially.  When they finally did, and I took a look, I knew I'd found the most logical solution to my quandary.
As I always do, when faced with a new arena and no expertise, I spent a lot of time online learning about e-bikes and the best options for me.  Experience is by far the best teacher, but the internet is not too far behind!

I did opt for a step through model, and one with 20-inch wheels, because any "macho pride" I may have left these days has been well tempered with experience and pragmatism.  As mentioned earlier in this thread, I decided a folding model would fit my needs best--as a single traveler most of the time, I can just pitch it in the back of the Jeep and have it in and out almost instantly without dealing with the bike rack questions.  There are several good models--I went with the Blix Vika+ based on solid quality at an entry price ($1700).  Partially due to careful research (and maybe partially due to beginner's luck), the bike turned out to be perfect for my needs.  After a year and half of experience, I really can't think of a thing I'd want to change.

Mike

Mike
Thanks for sharing.  I am considering an e-bike for the wife.  I like the folding ones too. I will add the Blix to the list.  DId you consider the Lectric folding e-bike?  If you did just wondering what your thoughts were on it.  It seems to be a good value for the price.

https://lectricebikes.com/products/lectric-xp-step-thru-white-ships-within-2-weeks

Thanks

Ron S
« Last Edit: December 31, 2020, 01:18:03 pm by Sarz272000 »

mikeh

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2020, 02:28:09 pm »
Hi Ron!

That Lectric XP Step-Thru wasn't yet on the market when I conducted my search.  Their previous XP model had a mid-step frame, and I wanted something as simple to mount/dismount as possible so it didn't make my "finals" list.

The $900 is an excellent price-point for any e-bike, and the reviews indicate that it returns good value for that price.  Looks like the Blix Vika+ is now at $1500, a couple hundred less than I paid, and many of the key components carry about the same basic specs between the two bikes:  500-watt motor, mechanical disc brakes, 7-speed derailleur, 5-level assist, 12-magnet cadence sensor, etc. The Blix does have a larger battery (14 AH versus 10.4 for the Lectric), but both advertise about 40-45 mile range.  That's pretty variable anyway, based on conditions, but it's been fairly accurate for my bike.

Based on the reviews, there are some operational and "usability" details that I like better on the Blix, but I haven't even seen the Lectric Step-Thru in the flesh and certainly haven't ridden one--so you can't really make a fair comparison.   Lectric appears to be building a solid reputation, and at that price-point they're going to be very hard to beat for value!

Mike

Sarz272000

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: August 2018
  • IntColor: Gray
  • ExtColor: Gray
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2021, 03:26:16 pm »
Thanks Mike for the info.  Also the Blix Vika+ is 10 lbs heavier than the Lectric.  The Lectric has thicker tires too.   

I wonder on your Blix Vika+ when you pedal without assist/dead battery is it hard to pedal?  Or is it as easy as a normal bike?

Happy New Year!

Ron S

mikeh

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2021, 04:20:41 pm »
Ron,

You might want to re-check the weights. 

Detailed specs for both bikes are listed on the electricbikereview.com site.  They list the Lectric XP Step-Thru at 63 pounds total (battery 6.6 pounds), and the Vika+ at 54.8 pounds total (battery 7 pounds).  That closely corresponds with the weight listed on the manufacturers web pages (63 pounds on Lectric site; 56 pounds on Blix site).  As you say, the Lectric uses 4-inch tires while the Blix uses 2-inch tires.  With that much difference, there are probably some disadvantages and advantages (in different conditions) of both the standard and the fat tire, but I'm not a sufficiently experienced bike rider to identify or comment on them.  I can say that in both on and off-road riding, I haven't experienced any tire issues that were apparent to me.

It's been a long while since I rode a regular bike, but with no power assist, the Vika+ can be still very easy to pedal.  You still have the 7-speed derailleur of course, and you can readily shift to a lower gear as needed; in the lowest gear, speed is fairly slow but effort is almost nothing.

Happy New Year for sure!       Mike

custerhank

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: March/2020
  • Model: 3100
  • IntColor: Brown
  • ExtColor: Brown Full Body Paint
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2021, 06:15:40 pm »
  Thanks for this excellent discussion on E-Bikes. I currently have an interest in e-"trikes". We bought a rather weighty non-motorized tricycle for my wife 4 years ago. She had major back surgery a year before and simply could not ride a two-wheeler any more. One month after we got the trike she unexpectedly had the first of 2 knee surgeries. Due to our hilly neighborhood and the decline in her leg ability we now have a 60 pound paperweight in the garage. I have investigated making it aftermarket electric (somewhat expensive and will it work?).

So I will be further researching e-trikes including selling the current manual trike and starting over.

Hank
Hank & Joyce Whitney
Custer, SD
2019 PC Model 3100

2 Lucky

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 02/27/18
  • IntColor: Cherry
  • ExtColor: Classic Umber
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2021, 07:43:30 pm »
The most important thing as we age is to stay active...whatever it takes or costs.
Riding the fine line between bravery and stupidity since 1952.

rdalton

• View Profile
  • Model: 2100
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2021, 07:44:34 am »
We have had Rad Rovers for 3 years now and have had a great time traveling with them.  In may cases, the tow-vehicle stays home when we take the bikes.