• PurchDate: October 31, 2017
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2006
  • Slide: Yes
  • IntColor: Light Maple
  • ExtColor: White
How Old is a New Battery?
« on: December 23, 2020, 11:51:11 am »
Well, with all the COVID-19   problems, Trojan is experiencing a shortage of batteries.  My supplier has a REALLY good contact at the factory, and got a few pallets of FRESH 12V golf cart batteries.

They now date-mark Trojans with ink on the battery case, ending YEARS of stamping them into the battery post. People were grinding off the stamped numbers, and re-stamping them for warranty fraud.

The brand new batteries were marked   B1   .   February of 2021 MGG date...  :beg

Turns out it is NORMAL for batteries to take 90 days from factory to sale.  Buying 'fresh' batteries, you are getting 3 months old.  These were shipped hours after being made, and were pre-sold before the shop received them.   Strange days... I was lucky to get 4.

SO...  when buying batteries, know that the date on them may be 90+  days AFTER they were made. So if they are 'only' 3 months old by date, they may actually be 6 months old. LONG time to be sitting on a shelf self discharging.
""You want to save money on travel, drive a Prius and stay at motel 6""  Forum Member Joseph

WORD.

donc13

• View Profile
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: 03/2015
  • Model: 2551
  • ModelYear: 2015
  • IntColor: Nightscape/Hickory
  • ExtColor: White/Nightscape
Re: How Old is a New Battery?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2020, 02:38:40 pm »
60% of 6 and 12 volt lead/acid based batteries are made by Johnson Controls in their Monterey, Mexico facility.  No way it takes 90 days from plant to sales floor.

But... be that as it may, self discharge for the worst is only about 10% a month. So... 100% - (10% of 100) = 90% after 1 month.  90 - (10% of 90) = 81% after 2 months and on down the line.   Still plenty of power left.

pyho  >:(  (WH)

Don

I am just being silly... It's the holidays!
Merry Christmas all!  :)(:
---
Don and Patti

jatrax

• John and Carrie
    • View Profile
    • Zigzag Mountain Art
  • PurchDate: November 2016
  • Model: 2552
  • ModelYear: 2017
  • IntColor: Graystone
  • ExtColor: Graystone
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2020, 02:52:22 pm »
I dimly remember in my youth that when you bought a battery the store would actually add the acid solution at time of sale.  So the battery was 'new' as of when they poured in the acid.  Not 100% sure I have that right, it must have been 50 years ago at least.

Of course modern 'sealed' batteries would not work that way so maybe they date them ahead so the consumer has confidence they are getting a 'newish' one.

mikeh

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 02/2019
  • ModelYear: 2019
  • IntColor: Toast
  • ExtColor: Toast
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2020, 05:07:14 pm »
John, your memory is right on!

In the late '80's/early 90's I contracted small engine service for my area Sears for a few years for extra income.  Replacement small engine batteries were shipped ""dry charged", with a separate plastic bag of sulfuric acid in the box.  You added the acid and ideally charged the battery for a bit before putting it in the machine.  Some got installed without charging, and would still crank over the unit OK after a few minutes; but proper procedure was to charge them.

Through that same period and later, I ran the equipment maintenance shop for a large government (Army) installation.  With several hundred vehicles and equipment items, we kept a large quantity of all size batteries in stock for both vehicles and heavy equipment--all of them supplied through the federal supply system (contracted for by GSA and DLA, and provided to federal installations world-wide).  All of those batteries, from the smallest size 6 or 12 volt to the big 8D units, were supplied dry charged.  We requisitioned our acid separately; the 1265 specific gravity stuff came in 6-gallon plastic bags for the automotive and equipment batteries; same process--fill them up and charge them.  We also used large quantities of higher concentration acid for our big (3000 lb.) electric forklift batteries.  That came in 55-gallon plastic drums at 1300 specific gravity, and had to be diluted with distilled water down to 1280 for the forklifts.  The "dry charge" process used by the government for their contracted batteries helped assure that even through a slow supply process and potentially long shelf time, the batteries were "good to go" when actually activated and installed in equipment.

`

Volkemon

• View Profile
  • NewUsed: Used
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2020, 08:20:35 am »
Thanks Mike! 

Neat history.   Out of curiosity I searched for dry-shipped batteries... no results. But you can buy the acid on amazon.  (WH)

Looked through several battery shipping guides, Lithium is their main concern. Not even one mention of a dry FLA battery. 

I wonder what changed... I am GUESSING insurance had something to do with it. Not sure I would want most of the counter people I see at Autozone, Discount, etc  pouring out acid.
""You want to save money on travel, drive a Prius and stay at motel 6""  Forum Member Joseph

WORD.

keelhauler

• View Profile
    • Our RV Page
  • PurchDate: 05/2012
  • ModelYear: 2012
  • IntColor: Sunlit Maple
  • ExtColor: Sunlit - no paint
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2020, 08:39:35 am »
Trojan makes their batteries in the USA.

You guys a worrying about a non-problem.

The biggest problem with our RV batteries, is that most people never really charge their batteries to 100% capacity. They they run them down less than 12,1v (50%).
So after a season or so of this abuse the battery won't hold a charge.

Trojan 6v batteries that are taken care of should last 7 years, so don't worry about a few months on the shelf before sale.

John

Engineerlt

• A Little Project
    • View Profile
  • PurchDate: Aug, 2019
  • ModelYear: 2017
  • IntColor: Hickory
  • ExtColor: Toast
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2020, 08:22:11 am »
Hello Volkemon
Thanks for the insight, never new that the manufacturer pre-dated the batteries.
Lance

Volkemon

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2020, 09:09:28 am »
Hello Volkemon
Thanks for the insight, never new that the manufacturer pre-dated the batteries.
Lance

I thought it was interesting.

Sorry if I got yer panties in a wad there Keelhauler, did not mean to incite panic.  roflol   TROJAN rocks.

WORD.

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2020, 10:52:21 am »
Back in the 1980's I bought a new battery for my Honda CX650 motor cycle.  I was perplexed when I was handed a box with the battery and the acid for it in a separate container.

If only all wet acid batteries were sold like that today.  I would not care about the manufacturing date then, especially when buying a matched pair.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2020, 10:54:55 am by Ron Dittmer »
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

Free2RV

• Gary and Susie
    • View Profile
  • PurchDate: P.U. 6/11/18
  • Model: 3100
  • ModelYear: 2018
  • IntColor: Nightscape (Cherry)
  • ExtColor: Graystone (FBP)
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2020, 12:55:22 pm »
In the late 60's when I worked at a Standard Oil gas station, all batteries that we sold were shipped with acid which we put in them.  I was in a local Carquest parts store just last week and they were preparing two motorcycle-type batteries for a customer that they were putting acid in them.  I commented that I didn't think that they sold batteries that way anymore and they said only the motorcycle-type batteries that are not the glass-mat type are shipped dry to them with a bottle of acid.