• PurchDate: 2020
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2009
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Maple cabinets, tan seats
  • ExtColor: Silver, black & grey
Heading Out
« on: August 25, 2020, 03:35:30 am »
Have enjoyed our 2009 2350 PC since the first of the year. Have had a few adventures but only a few days at a time. I am leaving next week for a solo trip across the country from Washington state to the east coast.  Have serviced and gone though the rig fixing little things and updating everything I can think of.
My question is what do you wish you had done before before you left home for the the open road on a extended trip ?  Things forgotten or wish you had? 
Have done my best to think ahead with tool kit and little extras like fuses and bulbs. I plan to be gone 6 weeks and currently am provisioning it.
This forum has been very educational and helpful.  Thanks in advance for any comments.  Your expertise is appreciated!

2 Frazzled

• View Profile
    • Spirit of the Woods
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: May 2013
  • Model: 2552
  • ModelYear: 2013
  • Slide: Yes
  • IntColor: Sunlit & Cherry
  • ExtColor: Sunlit
Re: Heading Out
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2020, 07:09:44 am »
The most important thing is a good attitude. All the little stuff can be bought along the way. You've covered extra fuses. A few things on our must have list are: white lithium grease to lubricate outside, silicone spray to lubricate inside, extra cabinet latches and the screwdriver needed to replace them, duct tape, oil for the rig.

On the human side make sure you have prescription meds plus basic OTC meds including something for allergies even if you don't think you have them. Also a first aid kit is a must and pain med (Aleve, Advil, etc.)

Ear plugs are nice just in case. Bug stuff, sun block, anti-itch cream. Umbrella or rain gear. Charging cords. A good chair, a good book, and the ability to adapt, relax and enjoy. Don't sweat the small stuff. There are stores almost everywhere and you need less than you think  Have an awesome trip!
John, Holly, and sometimes Chloe.
Travel Blog: Spiritofthewoods.net

donc13

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 03/2015
  • Model: 2551
  • ModelYear: 2015
  • IntColor: Nightscape/Hickory
  • ExtColor: White/Nightscape
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2020, 07:10:37 am »
A truckers road atlas or GPS that understands RV's so you can avoid low clearances and/or narrow roadways.  An app or book of campgrounds (or built into the GPS) so you can find a place to stay overnight.
---
Don and Patti

garmp

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 3/20
  • Model: 2351
  • ModelYear: 2020 2351D
  • IntColor: Greystone
  • ExtColor: Jack Doub Grey/Greystone
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2020, 11:32:14 am »
Don't know if you have your route planned or not, and maybe too late, but stop overs (campsites) that have vacancies can be hard to find. Be sure that your next destination has vacancies. We had to plan our previous trip according to the openings. Never made so many reservations in my entire camping career. But it all worked out.
Enjoy and safe travels. Stay well.
Jack is what we call our PC 2351D, and he has taken us from campers to RV'ers and loving it. We're no longer Team Bob. Just Jack the RV!

CalCruiser

• View Profile
  • NewUsed: Used
  • PurchDate: November 2015
  • ModelYear: 2003
  • IntColor: Hickory/ Beige
  • ExtColor: custom dark shadow grey & blue jeans metallic stripes
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2020, 02:32:56 pm »
Test your smoke, carbon monoxide, and LP alarms. LP detectors are only designed to last 5 years.

Stick a fisheye (fresnel) lens on the bottom  of the back  window  so you can see cars  that are following too closely to see in the rear view mirror.  You will still need your back-up camera for parking.

If you are new to RVing donít forget a water pressure regulator for the city water hose. Also a water saving Oxygenics Body Spa shower head to stretch the fresh  and grey water tank capacities.

Get  a set of leveling blocks if you donít have auto levelers. I carry a set of stacking  Camco FasTen  2x wide blocks , spread out to take up less storage space. Also a bullseye type bubble level that shows front to back and side to side.

A surge protector is cheap insurance.
I use this model  because it also lets me check the voltage level at the post before plugging in. https://hughesautoformers.com/product/pwd30/

And NEVER  leave home without a digital volt-ohm multimeter. Everyone should have one in the tool kit.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2020, 02:38:01 pm by CalCruiser »
Goin' where the wind goes...

Joseph

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 3/7/2015
  • ModelYear: 2011
  • IntColor: Tan/Cherry
  • ExtColor: Gray / White
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2020, 02:33:34 pm »
Been on the road for 2 months.  Texas, Tennessee, Kentucky and Arkansas for the most part. Have yet to have a reservation more than 24 hours out.  We just left hot springs koa as an example.  The loop we were on had 31 spaces and there were 9 RVs on site.   The last day it went up to 12.  In Katy texas now.   Called the campsite at 10 am looking for a spot till Sunday. No problem but they did say they were getting busy due to hurricane laura on the way.

Last year we did 3 months and 9,000 miles. We hit one campground that couldnít accommodate us.

Test everything a day or two before you go.  Donít worry about supplies thereís a grocery or Walmart on every corner and amazon delivers fast to any campground
« Last Edit: August 25, 2020, 02:38:30 pm by Joseph »

Joseph

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2020, 05:39:21 pm »
One other heads up.  If you do make any reservations in advance make sure you check the cancellations policy.  Iíve found many now charge you for the full stay as soon as the reservations are made and if you want a cancellation option itís 10% added. Some have a NO refund policy under any circumstances.  We made reservations on line at a so Cal resort for our sons wedding. Due to the virus the wedding was forced to be postponed till next March.  The resort will not allow the dates to be changed nor offer any refund. So I guess we will go for the weekend rather than give them the satisfaction.

2 Lucky

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 02/27/18
  • Model: 2551
  • ModelYear: 2010
  • IntColor: Cherry
  • ExtColor: Classic Umber
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2020, 06:42:16 pm »
There are so many good suggestions here. While the list may seem endless, none the less, there can be a list. My wife, the spread sheet guru, created our out-the-door on-the-road list that keeps getting longer every time we go. Each person will have a different list, but if you start one now, by the time you can no longer drive it will be complete!

And have a list to check each morning before you move the rig.

Ps  Just like Christmas, check it twice....
« Last Edit: August 25, 2020, 06:45:23 pm by 2 Lucky »
A half bubble out of plumb, sometimes more than square, but always on the level.

TheLuvShack

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: October 2016
  • Model: 3100
  • ModelYear: 2012
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2020, 10:19:27 am »
The most important thing is a good attitude. All the little stuff can be bought along the way. You've covered extra fuses. A few things on our must have list are: white lithium grease to lubricate outside, silicone spray to lubricate inside, extra cabinet latches and the screwdriver needed to replace them, duct tape, oil for the rig.

On the human side make sure you have prescription meds plus basic OTC meds including something for allergies even if you don't think you have them. Also a first aid kit is a must and pain med (Aleve, Advil, etc.)

Ear plugs are nice just in case. Bug stuff, sun block, anti-itch cream. Umbrella or rain gear. Charging cords. A good chair, a good book, and the ability to adapt, relax and enjoy. Don't sweat the small stuff. There are stores almost everywhere and you need less than you think  Have an awesome trip!

Good attitude IS the most important thing to bring along. No question that PCs are well built and I've had remarkable success getting responses from the factory when I need it. Todays roads can be a bit rough and really shake the house. We've been on a circle Lake Michigan tour for the last 30 days. Toad braking system quit. (Not a PC part). Contacted MFG and had a replacement part in two days. Installed it myself. GCFI in bath tripped and wouldn't reset. Replaced it and still wouldn't reset. Bath, kitchen and outside receptacle are linked together and none worked. Called the factory and Doug called be back to trouble shoot. Thanks Doug! Outside receptacle had water in it from recent hard rain. Replaced receptacle and all is well. Yesterday some of the roads were so rough that a MGD shade fell off the wall. Hard to get to but a new screw fixed it. AHHH. The RV life! Things WILL happen just smile and move on.

Joseph

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2020, 12:52:04 pm »
Same here stuff happens.  Problem with the inverter, fridge thermistor went bad, hail cracked fan lid, macerator is starting to go south, slide topper disintegrated, and worst of all Iím running low on George Dickel!

BlueBlaze

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 06/2016
  • ModelYear: 2008
  • IntColor: birch
  • ExtColor: white
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2020, 03:28:38 pm »
I have a checklist on my computer.  After every trip, I add what I learned.  Before every trip I print it out and tape it to the back door as we're loading up.  When every item is checked off (the last one is "lock the door and set the alarm"), I fold up the list and put it in my pocket.  That way, an hour from home, when I suddenly panic at the thought that I forgot to turn off the coffee pot, I can just pull out the list and say "coffee-pot:off -- check".

Sparroweye

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 2020
  • ModelYear: 2009
  • IntColor: Maple cabinets, tan seats
  • ExtColor: Silver, black & grey
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2020, 02:57:36 pm »
I want to thank everyone for the thought provoking suggestions!  I have everything ready to go and am taking off today!   Checked all alarms, tightened all curtains to prevent rattling, got HDMI hook up to stream movies via phone, checked all systems possible, water pressure adapter,tools,tape.... the list goes on forever!!!
Bottom line is I am ready for launch. Sheís washed inside and out and looks beautiful. I am making a list where I put everything so when I need something Iíll know what cupboard or drawer to look for it in. I think itís my age but I canít find anything.
Couldnít find the  Ďfisheyeí for rear window but think itís a great idea, will keep my eyes open.  Just didnít have time to get the water reduction shower head but will pick one up; another great idea.  Samís membership, check.
Most important is the good attitude suggestion....double check!
Thanks again for the great suggestions.  Iím off!