• Model: 2552
  • ModelYear: 2017
  • Slide: Yes
  • IntColor: Hickory
  • ExtColor: Toast
Caulking Tips & Tricks
« on: September 21, 2020, 05:16:36 pm »
Hello All
Bigger the Glob, Doesn't Mean Better The Job..... My neighbor owns a painting company and does high end homes, I was doing maintenance on my coach and he saw me struggling with a 10oz tube of caulk (ProFlexRV), wasting half of it trying to make a nice clean looking bead.  I was using painters tape and soapy water.  I would lay down the tape and then run the caulk and use my finger with soapy water to flatten out the sealant. Well my bead was a little excessive and half the caulk was being wiped away when I wiped the sealant.  He watched for a little while went home and came back.  He handed me a syringe and said fill it with caulk from the 10 oz tube. So I did and then he showed me how to apply caulk without wasting half of it.  The syringe helps you control the amount of caulk you are applying, plus its easier getting the caulk where you want it and less mess. It worked great for me. The syringe I used is made by Excel, curved tip, part number 26267. I cut the tip back a little so the larger opening allows the thick caulk to flow.

I would like to hear your tips & tricks on caulking.

jim.godfrey

• View Profile
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: October 2019
  • Model: 2552
  • ModelYear: 2020
  • IntColor: Desert Sand
  • ExtColor: Nightscape w/ Burgundy
Re: Caulking Tips & Tricks
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2020, 05:56:27 pm »
Great Idea Lance. We use syringes all the time at work when applying epoxies, silicones and grease.
Never think of it at home!
Just to add, McMaster.com is a great place to source syringes of all sizes.

donc13

• View Profile
  • NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: 03/2015
  • Model: 2551
  • ModelYear: 2015
  • IntColor: Nightscape/Hickory
  • ExtColor: White/Nightscape
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2020, 07:01:46 pm »
I just cut a small bit off the tip and use a "self releasing" caulk gun.  One where when you ease up on the squeeze handle, a spring releases tension in the tube and the caulk immediately stops flowing.  Also known as a drip free caulk gun, except you do not need to use the thumb release to stop the pressure.

I also use silicon "corner" caulk smoothers.  Run a foot or so of caulk, smooth with an appropriate corner smoother.  I also use a well squeezed out, smooth (not terrycloth) wet rag over my finger to clean the edges after I have let it sit for a few minutes.

Don

---
Don and Patti

Volkemon

• View Profile
  • NewUsed: Used
  • PurchDate: October 31, 2017
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2006
  • IntColor: Light Maple
  • ExtColor: White
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2020, 07:57:28 am »
I just cut a small bit off the tip and use a "self releasing" caulk gun. 

Ditto. Except I got the power caulk gun from Ryobi.  It was a package 'freebeee', I thought it kinda worthless at the time.. I mean who cant run a hand caulk gun? What a piece of worthless fluff...  But hey...it fit my 18V battery... what the hey.

WOW. Game changer. You can run a smoooooth 5 foot bead without a problem. The plunger auto-retracts each time for no drool.  When you get the timing down, a small trigger push gets you just the little dab on the end that seals a screw. Not sure how i can live without it now.  roflol  Gone are the days I am chasing every bead with a wetted finger.   heartshower   

""You want to save money on travel, drive a Prius and stay at motel 6""  Forum Member Joseph

WORD.