• NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: January 4, 2018
  • Model: 2400 Ford
  • Slide: Yes
  • IntColor: toast
  • ExtColor: nightscape
Norcold
« on: December 14, 2019, 08:55:28 pm »
My Norcold fridge door has fallen off for the 2'nd time in 20 months. I'm on the road for the winter and have been held up for 3 wks waiting for a new door. Don't tell me i'm putting to much  weight in the door, we keep almost nothing in it since it broke the first time. I looked up norcold problems and the PC forum came up,
this was 2013. The shop that has my door on order said it will be no better than the last 2 that broke. I called Norcold customer service and was told the same thing, new door will have the same problem, they wouldn't warranty my broke door because it's been over a yr since the last one broke. I called another motorhome builder and they have used nothing but Dometic for yrs with no issues. They said they have heard of Norcod problems. If Norcold problems are common knowledge in the industry, including PC, why is PC still putting them in there motorhomes? I know the PC faithful will say the fridge is not PC's problem but why do they use them when they know they're poor quality?

TheLuvShack

• View Profile
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: Used
  • PurchDate: October 2016
  • Model: 3100
  • ModelYear: 2012
Re: Norcold
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2019, 09:28:32 pm »
https://forum.phoenixusarv.com/index.php?topic=2087.0
Norcold makes a hinge retrofit. They're available from Norcold, Amazon and eBay.
My door fell off at this years PC Reunion. Luckily Doug from the Mothership was there to repair it. I now have the retrofit. I hope this solves my problem.
I also wonder why PC continues to use Norcold.

rvrunner

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: January 4, 2018
  • Model: 2400 Ford
  • IntColor: toast
  • ExtColor: nightscape
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2019, 11:20:04 pm »
Thanks Luvshack, I had heard rumors about a metal hinge repair but could not find it on the net. I called Norcold Customer Service and was told they didn't have a repair hinge available. Thanks again.

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2019, 08:23:59 am »
Hi rvrunner.

Some years back I was reading on another forum about the fridge door hinge breaking.  Being proactive, I installed two sets of hinge reinforcements, one for the fridge, the other for the freezer.  So far so good.

I buy stuff on ebay all the time.  I did a quick search there and found them for sale.  I don't know if they are a bargain or a rip-off.  CLICK HERE to see them.  These are identical to the ones I installed.  I found others for sale for a few dollars cheaper, but they are a little different, not sure they are meant for the same fridge I have which is the original one Phoenix installed in our 2007 2350.

The installation was fairly easy.  Here are a couple pictures for you.

In our 2007 2350, our fridge door opens only so far because it hits the rear corner bed before swinging to a stressful point.  I wonder if the reason for hinge failure is partially caused when people let the door swing open all the way until it binds within itself.  Parked on a slope and not being mindful, I can see it happening fairly often....especially when children are involved.  A dog passing by could also force the door open to a stressful point.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2019, 01:16:33 pm by Ron Dittmer »
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

donc13

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 03/2015
  • Model: 2551
  • ModelYear: 2015
  • IntColor: Nightscape/Hickory
  • ExtColor: White/Nightscape
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2019, 11:23:11 am »
You don't say what year your PC is, but I am presuming a 2018.   Norcold changed their door hinges in about 2015 to correct the the issue.   The hinge kit that Ron mentioned was the "fix" for the earlier door hinges.

On my 2015 model, I have never had an issue with the hinges after almost 5 years and 50,000 miles.

Have the repair shop check your refrigerator serial number and so forth with Norcold, to make sure your hinges and door are the correct hinges for that model and year refrigerator.  And also have them make sure that the refrigerator isn't an earlier model that requires the fix to be installed.

---
Don and Patti

2 Frazzled

• View Profile
    • Spirit of the Woods
  • PurchDate: May 2013
  • Model: 2552
  • ModelYear: 2013
  • IntColor: Sunlit & Cherry
  • ExtColor: Sunlit
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2019, 01:31:45 pm »
Go by the model on the fridge itself. We were quite surprised to find our paperwork is for a different model than what is in the rig. We bought new and I know Phoenix pops all manuals in each grey bag as they install things so I think our fridge must have shipped with the wrong paperwork. We had to go online to find the correct info.
John, Holly, and sometimes Chloe.
Travel Blog: Spiritofthewoods.net