• PurchDate: March/2020
  • Model: 3100
  • ModelYear: 2019
  • Slide: Yes
  • IntColor: Brown
  • ExtColor: Brown Full Body Paint
PC 2017 2910D
« on: August 26, 2019, 10:46:23 am »
  We are future owners (just sold a 42' DP and have RV'd for 45 years) and have "earnest money" down on a used 2017 2910D consignment from PPL in Texas (largest consignment company in U.S.). The price seems quite reasonable and good PC's are hard to find. Mileage is 36,000, one A/C with heat strip, Dish satellite, regular springs.Interior looks "standard" for a 2910D and immaculate. PPL will do a complete PDI for a modest cost before delivery and seller pays for fixes. Our last 29' (a Class C with no slides in 90's/early 2000's) needed a stabilizer for rear-end sway. Couple questions:

Should we plan on a sway bar? Perhaps just drive it home 1,000 miles to South Dakota and see although installing sway bar would be much easier down in RV-plentiful Texas.

We do not plan a lot of very hot weather camping any more (used to be full-timers including much time in AZ) - likely a lot of Midwest stuff.. how hard to add a 2nd A/C especially if unit not "plumbed" for a 2nd unit. I think I saw someone on here add a 20 Amp circuit to do that (?). We could certainly survive on one A/C..?

We are excited and just trying to work out the best way to pay...and avoid the Texas heat as much possible...with one A/C. Any other suggestions welcome!

Thanks,

Hank (and Joyce)
Custer, SD (the Black Hills near Mt Rushmore)

Hank & Joyce Whitney
Custer, SD
2019 PC Model 3100

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
Re: PC 2017 2910D
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2019, 11:23:59 am »
"Playing It Extra Safe".....

If not already equipped, I would plan on the following upgrades for an exceptional handling rig.
- heavy duty front and rear stabilizer bars, either the Helwig or Roadmaster brand
- heavy duty Bilstein shock absorbers
- heavy duty steering stabilizer (brands vary)
- higher-rated "E" tires that handle an extra 600 pounds per tire.  BE SURE to get the ones with a max tire pressure of 83 PSI, NOT 90 psi.  I say this because the E450 steel wheels are rated to 80 PSI.

Models 2910 and 3100 are extra heavy PCs.  A few owners of them have experienced rear tire blow-outs that caused extensive damage to the plywood sub floor of the house and surrounding mechanicals.  Getting extra heavy rated tires is reliable protection against that.  CLICK HERE to see one example of such tires.  I am not necessarily endorsing the Nexen brand, only their extra capability.  There are a number of different brands out there to choose from.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 11:27:20 am by Ron Dittmer »
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

custerhank

• View Profile
  • NewUsed: Used
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2019, 02:39:56 pm »
Ron (and Ron S. who replied to me via Message),

Thanks for the quick and useful responses. I called Phoenix Cruiser and they said they would send me the original build sheet for the unit as well as the full list of features etc. for that build year (2017). I will also quiz PPL on what (if any) chassis add-ons have been done (lol). We do not expect to do any more full-time traveling which means a light load. But, after our experience with our older 29' Class C and needing a sway bar, the 1st thing that struck me about the 2910D was..."look how much coach there is behind the rear wheels". Plus Ron S's comment to me about possibly needing a shim on the 2-slide side got my attention. I will resolve some of these issues (plus Ron S's mention of possible imitation-leather problems) before we send them money.  It is a bit over 1,000 miles to drive there so want to do our due-diligence as much as possible.

Anybody want to give me a WAG on what those hardware add-ons Ron suggests might cost? The sway bar I bought back in 1994 was about $400 installed as I recall. I suspect we are talking at least $5,000 total.

Thanks again,

Hank
Custer, SD
Hank & Joyce Whitney
Custer, SD
2019 PC Model 3100

donc13

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 03/2015
  • Model: 2551
  • ModelYear: 2015
  • IntColor: Nightscape/Hickory
  • ExtColor: White/Nightscape
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2019, 03:36:27 pm »
Ron (and Ron S. who replied to me via Message),

Thanks for the quick and useful responses. I called Phoenix Cruiser and they said they would send me the original build sheet for the unit as well as the full list of features etc. for that build year (2017). I will also quiz PPL on what (if any) chassis add-ons have been done (lol). We do not expect to do any more full-time traveling which means a light load. But, after our experience with our older 29' Class C and needing a sway bar, the 1st thing that struck me about the 2910D was..."look how much coach there is behind the rear wheels". Plus Ron S's comment to me about possibly needing a shim on the 2-slide side got my attention. I will resolve some of these issues (plus Ron S's mention of possible imitation-leather problems) before we send them money.  It is a bit over 1,000 miles to drive there so want to do our due-diligence as much as possible.

Anybody want to give me a WAG on what those hardware add-ons Ron suggests might cost? The sway bar I bought back in 1994 was about $400 installed as I recall. I suspect we are talking at least $5,000 total.

Thanks again,

Hank
Custer, SD

You shouldn't need new tires, the original Michelin tires should have about 1/2 their tread life left and they're only 2 to 3 years old.   Well below the maximum age of 7 to 8 years no matter what the tread looks like. Just make sure you keep the tires properly inflated.  And check them often or have tire pressure monitors added (about $500 to $1000 depending on type and brand).

The E450 comes with anti sway bars from the factory.  I would strongly suggest you not replace them without at least testing them in both city and highway.   You should be able to judge how good or not so good they are by driving 10 miles city and 10 highway.

Shocks, that's a personal choice, I myself am perfectly happy with my OEM shocks on my 2015 model 2551.

Steering stabilizer, likewise, a personal choice and the test drive I suggested above should let you know if you need one or not.   Again, my personal choice is that my 2551 doesn't drift, shimmy or have issues returning to center after a turn.  So I have not changed the steering or suspension at all.

I would recommend a front end alignment every few years to insure drivability and maximum tread life from your tires.

Don
« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 03:39:09 pm by donc13 »
---
Don and Patti

Sarz272000

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: August 2018
  • Model: 2551
  • ModelYear: 2010
  • IntColor: Gray
  • ExtColor: Gray
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2019, 06:23:27 pm »
Hank more stuff!

The 2017 PC was first year they switched to swintek slide-outs. I donít recall any major issues but some complained about them not operating smoothly.  They also have notched channels, two of them, exposed to elements when open.  They are the standard most RVs use. Older PCs had a screw type slide-out.  It is on the underside of the slide.  My 2551 has it and there are no issues. 

One PCer replaced the two euro chairs in the 2910D with flex steel chairs bolted to the floor.  They swivel and recline.  With a seat belt they could hold additional passengers as long as that weight can be added.

The 2910 refrigerator vents out the top.  That is good .  My 2551 vents out the side. I was pleasantly surprised this summer when it was hot out and refrigerator was on.  I heard a noise by the refrigerator.  Original owner installed a temperature sensitive fan behind refrigerator. The fan was on blowing air out the side vent. He also had a wind block so the pilot light doesnít blow out while traveling.  Amazing!

To save yourself some headache request them to send you an official weigh on front and back axles.  That might tell you a lot.  Most with the 2910 carry minimal water and empty dump tanks due to weight of unit. 

I am diligent checking tire pressure even though I have more capacity than I need. Previous owner had metal tire valves installed.  Tires are spot on with no leeks.  The braided factory ones I heard are not the most reliable. 

Every time I go into our PC I am amazed at the workmanship and condition of the unit.  We literally pull up to site, level if needed,  plug in, slide out, awning out and we are camping. We have cherry interior which is calming and rich looking.  If you decide on PC you will not regret it.

FYI PC did make a 2910 Custom or twin model around 2012.  It was special order.  If did not have a rear drivers slide.  Instead it had twin beds in back with storage above. Everything else pretty much the same.  This reduced weight on rear axle.  That could also be an option. Not sure if PC would make it but something to consider. A PC 2910 Custom owner I am sure could show you thereís.  However not many made.  That is my dream PC.  Couldnít find one before I found my 2551, which we love.

One more thing. Maybe a PC owner of RV tech near PPL could ride/checkout the unit for you before you travel down there.

I canít comment on suspension upgrades as I have none.  Mine rides nicely like Donís.  I had original front steering stabilizer replaced because original was worn out.  I did noticed a difference in keeping it centered. It was a HD Monroe one.  Also the shocks were replaced with Monroeís due to age.  RV shop didnít recommend anything else.  They couldnít believe condition of underside.

Sorry for the length.  Good luck with your search.

Ron S

custerhank

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2019, 01:14:18 pm »
  Thanks again for info. Good to know tires should last a while. PPL did just quote me some tires prices to wit:
Good Year Wrangler H/T 10 ply  80PSI $1572.00/Savero HTs 10 ply  80PSI  $1247.00. Or the ones previously recommended here. But no tires for now.

PPL's e-mail also said "Roadmaster does not carry anything for that Ford cutaway chassis". But a quick online check  (e-trailer.com) shows a Roadmaster rear anti-sway bar for a 2017 for either $671 or about $950. Not sure who PPL talked to. They also referred me to the Fort Worth Camping world for a bar because they do not do them..I do not usually trust CW for service although reviews are not too bad.

In any event, unless I win $1000 in the lottery to pay for just a rear bar, we plan to take the rig as-is and evaluate the ride both locally there and on open road back to Custer SD (1000 miles both interstate and 2-lane). We will have a very minimal load onboard. We plan to tow our 2012 Honda CRV back using the Ready-Brute tow bar (plus inertia brake) we kept from the DP. That might be a rear-end sway test!

Thanks Again,

Hank
Hank & Joyce Whitney
Custer, SD
2019 PC Model 3100

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2019, 08:44:02 am »
In any event, unless I win $1000 in the lottery to pay for just a rear bar....
Wow, that is a VERY steep price for an installed heavy duty rear stabilizer bar.  I would have thought $1000 for both front and rears.
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

WillLloyd

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: Feb/2017
  • Model: 2910
  • ModelYear: 2016
  • IntColor: Pebble
  • ExtColor: Grey
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2019, 12:10:15 pm »
We live in Virginia and purchased a 2016 2910D from a dealer in Texas.  Must be the place to get PC's......

To the best of my knowledge, the only non stock suspension item is a heavy duty front stabilizer.  We drove it home (2500 miles) and ever since with no drivability issues.  Two things we did have to address are (1) Braided valve stem extensions - they leaked like a sieve and we replaced them with the hard type.  No leaks since.  We keep the tires inflated to sticker pressures and have had no issues.  When we replace them, we will go with the stouter tire.  (2) drive shaft alignment - it had 2500 miles on it when we bought it and had a bad vibration near the rear end.  Turns out the outfitter that lengthened the frame had a bad day when the put the driveshaft on.  Convinced Ford to fix it under warranty but it was a mess.

Enjoy it.

WillLloyd

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: Feb/2017
  • Model: 2910
  • ModelYear: 2016
  • IntColor: Pebble
  • ExtColor: Grey
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2019, 12:12:22 pm »
Oh, and regarding the AC.  One unit works for us but if you are parked in full sun on a 95-degree day it will struggle to keep up.  We use reflective sun shades in the cab windows and the shower skylight and they help a lot.  A 30-amp service won't run 2 AC units.